Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

babs

A-List Customer
Ok.. learned something today. Had no idea what the knot was called but this is how I've done ties since high-school. Just by trail and error and a couple reasons.. I always went for a fairly skinny knot to try to accentuate the body of the tie rather than a skinny tie (as most were in the 80's), and being long-waisted and 17 1/2" now 18 1/5" neck, I ran out of tie with knots that required more length to tie.

Been tying the FIH so long, it's 2nd nature and I doubt I could even tie a different knot.. If I did, it'd just be strange.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Macheath said:
Yep, an FIH is pretty much necessary if you're going to wear a collar bar. I've tried it with half and full windsors, and it just ends up looking like you're smuggling a baklava around your neck.

*scratches head* Smuggling Baklava? With or without chopped pistachios?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sudden realization: Four in Hand

I was just looking at this picture on Shorpy.com, and was struck by the term "Four in hand". Now we know it as a neck tie knot, but how does the term translate into a knot? In this, we see a four in hand coach, meaning four horses' traces held in one hand. Logical! It must be that the knot came somehow from the knots worn by coach drivers. Can any resident historian confirm this?
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6813?size=_original

benstephens

Practically Family
It is the only knot I wear when wearing vintage clothing. I believe it is the most understated and elegant of all knots, especially with a tie pin. When wearing narrow collars, it does not shout 'look at me', it is just there, neat, and performing it's job.

I have tried many other knots, but always revert back to it.

Kindest Regards

Ben

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Good sport! I thought it was Esquire who formally introduced it in Spring of 1948? Ah well these things are always questionable anyway.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
repeatclicks said:
Good sport! I thought it was Esquire who formally introduced it in Spring of 1948? Ah well these things are always questionable anyway.

Yes indeed, it was formally 'named' in 1948. However, the style began to make its appearance on the custom circuit in '44 -- though few people could afford its extra fabric, which came from the cloth hoards of certain tailors.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I think it depends of the tie and what look you're going for...http://i419.photobucke

With two-toned 40's ties, the Four In-Hand sometimes gives me to much length. I often use it with ties that have a consistent pattern throughout, though.

I think this picture illustrates that point pretty well:
FourIn-Hand.jpg

To get that dimpled, two-toned look, I really like the Half-Windsor:
Half-Windsor.jpg

Sometimes, for a little different look, I use the Full-Windsor to use up enough slack so that only the knot is the contrasting color:
Full_Windsor.jpg

repeatclicks said:
Yeah, pretty much as the subject line says, I need to know which is the best knot to use with a 1940s tie to give it that nice short look. Im using a double windsor at the moment.

Thanks!

Keep using the full windsor. It is one of the most symetrical of knots and makes the tie look neat while filling the collar space adequately. It will also suck up plenty to material.:D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I will go along with what people said about the Shelby knot. It can be tied to any lenth and knot thickness. THe only drawback for me is that the short end always ends up too long and has to be tucked into my shirt, though this could just be overly long modern ties rather than the knot I'm using.

avedwards said:
I will go along with what people said about the Shelby knot. It can be tied to any lenth and knot thickness. THe only drawback for me is that the short end always ends up too long and has to be tucked into my shirt, though this could just be overly long modern ties rather than the knot I'm using.

Is it just me or is the Shelby just a Windsor tied with the face of the tie facing down instead of up? [huh]
That whole 70s thing also gave me flashbacks to the time when ties were REALLY ugly. :eusa_doh: :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy