Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Is it just me or is the Shelby just a Windsor tied with the face of the tie facing down instead of up? [huh]
That whole 70s thing also gave me flashbacks to the time when ties were REALLY ugly. :eusa_doh: :(
That's right. For that reason it would never work with a wing-neck collar, however it's fine with a turn-down collar. I think it did come around in the 70s, however it works for any tie. I use it with modern ties which are either plain or have patterns which can be both bold and sensible enough for business (usually a simple pattern but with sharply contasting colours).

Solid Citizen said:
Great way to covert 40's tie into a BOW tie

Solid citizen lol

Its not that bad. I even use it for my 30s ties. However, you usually end up with very little of the narrow end left. ;) :p I use this knot for my son's ties and it works very well. He is 3 so most ties would be far too long for him. Use a windsor and he can wear anything except the modern extra longs. :)
I have never thought of tying a necktie like you would a bowtie. That might be quite a large bowtie. :D

avedwards said:
That's right. For that reason it would never work with a wing-neck collar, however it's fine with a turn-down collar. I think it did come around in the 70s, however it works for any tie. I use it with modern ties which are either plain or have patterns which can be both bold and sensible enough for business (usually a simple pattern but with sharply contasting colours).

Ok, I thought that was what I was seeing. :D

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
I can't even tie a tie! So you guys all seem to be much better than I.

However, my grandfather's already pre-tied most my ties, and yes, he uses the FIH, as it appears.

:)

I don't really wear them all that often, but I love them.. and I will be experiementing msyelf soon with all these knots.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:
Great way to covert 40's tie into a BOW tie

Solid citizen lol

Actually, if you pay close attention, it's not that uncommon to actually see actors use a Windsor Knot in scenes where the character puts on a tie on screen...

Edward

Bartender
How does a Windsor go with a modern tie? I have a number of ties which were bought in the 90s and 00s, mostly received as gifts. I have been toying with the idea of finding someone who could shorten them for me, as I find with my habitual four in hand knot I am having to give them several wraps in order to get them to that two or three inches above the belt buckle height.... one of the pets hates that drives me nuts (even worse than men who think they can hide extra weight they may be carrying by wearing a db jacket open as if it's a sb) is a tie hanging down below the waistline....

To date, I have resisted the idea of a Windosr as I feared it would result in a 'soccer player knot' - you know, the sort of thing the likes of Beckham sport when forced to wear a suit, knot the size of their heads, that sort of thing.... Might be worth a try, though. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
If your tie is a modern one stuffed with material it will create a huge Windsor knot.

Ah. Shortening may be the only option, then..... I have a few with which I do not want to part, but i hate how long they are.

Feraud said:
If your tie is a modern one stuffed with material it will create a huge Windsor knot.

It really just depends really. It has been a while since I wore a modern tie but when I tied them years ago the windsor knot didn't make that big a knot if you tied the knot tightly. I see a lot of wibndsor knots that are not tied as such and they do look much larger than they could be if they just pulled the tie a bit after going through the last loop.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Lucky Strike said:
Here's a challenge (when done right, it looks really good, I find):

Christens1.jpg

Christens3.jpg

Yes, that knot is quite a challenge...took me actualy several tries just to get my head around it and even then it still looked slightly off. :p That thing needs some serious practice.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nice video, should have seen that earlier as it would have saved me a slight headache. Thanks for the link.

The knot is not just difficult to tie, it's also not easy to photograph. :rolleyes:
After some fiddling I ended up with this (I traced the edges because they're a bit hard to make out in the photo):

christens.jpg

It really works better with ties of the more narrow sort.

johnny

New in Town
I'm gonna give this knot a try. I think the right pattern on a tie would help the layered part of this knot (that was nicely highlighted in the last post) stand out.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just tried it with a thicker tie and it turned out ok, taking into account that I'm not so well versed yet with this knot, but I really think broader ties pose a bigger problem. Still, I like the pattern of this knot.

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
I only use a four in hand knot. When I was growing up, bag boys in grocery stores all wore ties. Their ties all had massive knots. So much of the tie was used up in the knot that the tie stopped half way down the bag boy's chest. Perhaps as a reaction to that fashion statement, I have always had a strong preference for small knots.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The school that I went to for 13 years had ties as part of their uniform. My father taught me how to tie a tie, therefore, at a very young age (below double-digit years). I only discovered recently, that I've been tying a Four-in-Hand knot for the whole of my tie-tying life, and never knew it! Dad knew how to tie a tie, but he never knew what the knot was called, so he could never tell me.

For the menfolk here who wear ties more frequently than I do (probably for a professional/stylish touch at work?), what knots do you use and why? Were you taught a specific knot as a child (as I was) and stuck to that out of familiarity/simplicity & convenience? Or did you teach yourself how to tie a tie?

I remember a couple of years back, a (female) cousin of mine was enrolled in a select school which required the girls to wear a necktie as part of their uniform. Unfortunately, my uncle had been dead well over ten years by this point in her life, so my cousin came to me for tie-advice and I had to give her a crash-course in doing a four-in-hand.

kinetickyle

New in Town
I used to use a four-in-hand knot like the majority of the populace, but when I joined the navy, they made us learn the Windsor knot for the winter working uniform (which is no longer in use). I've used the Windsor ever since, even if I'm wearing a thick modern tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21