Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

Feraud

Bartender
Most of my ties are vintage so I too use a smaller knot.

On a related note, I was shirt shopping yesterday and hard pressed to find shirts that did not have a large collar spread. These shirts need the Windsor stye knot.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
85 Ways to Tie a Tie

So, being a mathematician of sorts, I had to get a copy of that little book "The 85 Ways to Tie a Tie"...it finally showed up, and it was a fun read! It's all based on random walks and such, but the way they went about deriving the knots was well done.

Now my question...anybody else read this, and if so...which knots are *actually* usable?

I'd love to use all sorts of different knots with different ties and shirts and such!

GateXC

One of the Regulars
I received it this past Christmas and heartily agree - it is a fun read. As far as the knots go, all of the ones that they give a full or 1/2 page write-up to are well worth wearing. I particularly like the Grantchester. For an odder knot that I've taken to wearing, the variation of the Christiansen at #46 or #49 (I think) is pretty cool. Cruciform style so you can see the overlaps of the tie. Works well instead of a four-in-hand for OCBD shirts.

Dagwood

Practically Family
The book is on my “to get” list. Learning 85 knots (heck, even 10) would be most impressive. Unfortunately, I am the poster boy for how not to tie your ties. :eek: Of course, I do tie a mean bow tie…

chucklehead

A-List Customer
I've had my eye on that book.
Does it mention anything about ascots?

thanks!

Flying Scotsman said:
So, being a mathematician of sorts, I had to get a copy of that little book "The 85 Ways to Tie a Tie"...it finally showed up, and it was a fun read! It's all based on random walks and such, but the way they went about deriving the knots was well done.

Now my question...anybody else read this, and if so...which knots are *actually* usable?

I'd love to use all sorts of different knots with different ties and shirts and such!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
There are only two ways you need to know how to tie a necktie. Four in hand and half-Windsor. :D

*goes to the ER from being hit by many flying objects*

PLUS: It's cool to be able to tie a BOW TIE!
Every time I look at my 2 or 3 real bow ties hanging there, I get this tremendous little urge top do the FDR look with the bow tie, the collars sticking up and the fedora with the front flipped up. I could add the shades, as well, but not the cigaret holder.

But bow tie, learn it!

Jovan

Suspended
Well, that's a given. I still need to get a real bow tie and be able to tie it, so I can practice what I preach about formal wear. :p

Seriously though, I am actually interested in how to tie that barrel-ish looking knot. I saw it in a picture at another forum, I can't remember where it comes from. There was an older English gentleman sitting down with a pipe, his dog(s) near him, and his tie knot was quite cylindrical as well as having no dimple. Is this just a double wrapped four in hand? I've tried, but I cannot get mine to look like it. Hopefully AlanC, Tomasso, or Manton could help me, as they are on said forum.

PenMan

Familiar Face
While I duck to avoid the aforementioned flying books, I really have to ask--how many use other than a four in hand or half windsor?

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
PenMan said:
While I duck to avoid the aforementioned flying books, I really have to ask--how many use other than a four in hand or half windsor?

Windsor (i.e., Full Windsor). But I intend to try out a few of these other knots from the book first chance I get (other than Four-in-Hand, that is).

StanleyVanBuren

The Great Tie Knot Debate

This deserves its own thread. Copied from "show us your suits:"

Senator Jack said:
And I keep saying there's no such thing as a vodka martini, but who listens to me?

Okay, so let's open this up for idiotic discussion again. And, again, I'll ask everyone to refrain from saying 'this is the best' or 'that is the worst' based on how 'he' looks in the mirror. In case you (the general 'you' out there, and not the specific) don't realize that everyone in the world is not you, and that they do not have the same body type/frame as you, and they are not as lucky as to have the same size neck as you, I should like to inform you that they don't. I know you must find this very difficult to believe since all greatness emanates from you and that the universe came into existence when you, and only you, made that long arduous trip down your mother's birth canal, but, again, I must inform you that we were indeed here, along with the universe, when that splendid event did happen. Now, I'm sorry to pull the rug out from you like that, but, I'm afraid it had to be done and I happen to come from a very long proudful line of rug-pullers - no bawdy comments please. So, if this is all understood, and you can give me a sound reason why your knot (whichever you prefer or was handed down to you by the gods before you made your grand and glorious entrance to our universe) and have that reason be free from subjectivity then I'll be happy to debate on this topic ad nauseum.

Regards,

Senator Jack

OK look, I think a starting point here will be to understand what the accepted convention(s) are on face shape and corresponding tie knot.

Then once we establish the rule, we can move on from there to decide when it is right to break the rules, and so on and so forth. Which is just a way of saying "you're wrong, but in the right way."

Then we can move on to pure personal taste, which is just a nice way of saying "you're not wrong in the right way, you're just wrong, but whatever."

NOW, it has been my understanding that size and shape of knot should play an inverse relationship to face shape. So, if you have a huge wide head, you should have a small skinny knot. And if you have a long narrow head, you should have a hefty wide knot. This is to create balance. Would anyone care to disagree that this is the general rule?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My opinion probably won't be a popular one here, but I really see no need for anything beyond a four-in-hand and its variants such as the Victoria/Prince Albert.

StanleyVanBuren

AlanC said:
My opinion probably won't be a popular one here, but I really see no need for anything beyond a four-in-hand and its variants such as the Victoria/Prince Albert.

No, I've actually found this to be a quite common viewpoint here. The tie knot-zis have been on me about this for weeks now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael