Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a custom hat made...for a puppet :)

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I am building muppet style puppets of a couple of characters I cartoon and one character (A lizard) wears a straw fedora. I am having a heck of a time finding a hat in such a tiny size (very similar to Kermit). I ordered a couple of infant hats, but they are just a tad too big and I also tried some hats made for small dogs and they just don't look right. Doll hats are out because they too do not look right.

Looks like I am going to go the custom made route, which is probably the best as it will be unique to the character.

Just throwing this out to the hat makers on the Fedora Lounge. If interested, please PM me and we'll talk details.

Thanks!

coble

A-List Customer
they are straw, but sunbody hats makes small size cattleman and gus hats, they are made really well and shapeable. . So they should easily fit puppets, we are more then welcome to help you out. We have infant hats, but not sure how large the ones you've used are. Check our website www.sunbodyhats.com

Last edited:

J.B.

Practically Family
Keep an eye out for an organ grinder...

monkeystrawxb7.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but it seems like you could pick up some small stingy vintage fedorae on the cheap, then soak and block them on a yogurt cup or Tupperware or some such container. Re-sewing the ribbon would be quick and easy.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone. Yes, spent hours and hours doing searches on Ebay. I've got a small box of hats I've bought via Ebay and other sites that are just too big, even though they are smaller than the normal hat. This is the size I am looking for:

Kermit-Reporter.jpg

If I can't find the size I'll try to make one myself as someone mentioned above. Might be fun.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For a kermit-sized hat, you might be able to block a felt one, as randooch suggested, on a small (2.5 oz) baby food jar. Seems like the correct size. Shape (ovalness) is not too critical, right? It's fer a puppet ferchrissakes. Said baby food jar would give you enough material for a nice crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch