Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new idiot box.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
goldwyn girl said:
How about something like this
meteor-big.jpg

from here
http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml
That is soooo cool! I want one!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a 36" Panasonic CRT HDTV that's about 3 years old. It's been pretty satisfactory. I'm still not ready to spring for a flat panel. I can use this monitor with my nifty Alienware Home Theater computer, so it's pretty versatile. Plus I use a separate sound system with it.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
My TV --

tv.jpg

Funny though, it only gets one channel....

That TV set really takes me back. Our very first one looked exactly like that:eusa_clap I can still remember the day we got it. Two men from the shop delivered it, came in and set it up, and spent about half a day putting up the antenna and running the feedline. Today, you can't even get someone to carry the box out of the store for you when you buy a new TV set.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
1951 Philco

I guess this deserves another thread. But you reminded me of our first TV. It was about 1951. It was a 17" Philco console. When I say console, I mean an immense piece of mahogany furniture. It had doors in front that made a solid ching sound when you closed them. It had miles of multicolored wires inside, and probably about 33 separate tubes. The channel changer made a loud chunk chuck sound when you switched channels, and the horizontal and vertical hold knobs were frequently employed.
When the repairman came (and he did so more than once) he brought a huge box of tools and replacement tubes. Occasionally you see these wooden cabinets with the guts long gone. But the original TV's are rare. Too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace