Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice on Interview Attire

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
I have a job interview next week and have been trying to figure out what is best to wear. It is for a position as a school counselor at a rural middle school. I know it is generally recommended to wear a suit to an interview, but the only suit I have is a black Haggar, which is not a high quality great looking suit. Also, I am worried that a solid black suit may be too much for the position for which I am interviewing. I also have a Brooks Brothers subtly olive colored jacket that I could wear with some light brown pants. Although I think it looks great together, I worry it may not be formal enough for an interview. Not having a lot of experience in interviewing I wanted to consult you guys.

If I had the financial resources available I would just buy a nice charcoal grey suit, or something that would be a little less formal, but a little more quality in appearance than my black suit. However, I have been doing a fulltime internship this semester which is unpaid so I have little extra money to work with due to having to give up my previous job four months ago to complete the internship.

Bellow I have included some pics I snapped this morning of each garment on me. Please ignore the wrinkles and sloppily tied tie, I just threw everything on to get an idea of how it would look. Also, in the pics of the green jacket, I would be wearing a better pair of pants than the khakis I had on. I just found those to get an idea of how the colors would look together.

Also, disregard the hats. I just threw them on because my hair was a mess this morning and also due to wanting some pics with my two new hats. However, I will not be wearing them to the interview.

Suit:
InterviewAttire002.jpg

Jacket:
InterviewAttire003.jpg

InterviewAttire004.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I hate to say this: Loose the hat. At least for the interview.

Buy a red tie, it will go very well with both of your suits. I would actually consider the Olive and brown look, because I always have felt that black is too formal. Other than that, you look good to go.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Trotsky said:
I hate to say this: Loose the hat. At least for the interview.

Buy a red tie, it will go very well with both of your suits. I would actually consider the Olive and brown look, because I always have felt that black is too formal. Other than that, you look good to go.

I stated in the original post that I would not be wearing the hats, I just threw them on for the photo because I didn't have any photos of me with the hats/

Thanks for the advice on the tie color.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
AndrewGWU said:
I stated in the original post that I would not be wearing the hats, I just threw them on for the photo because I didn't have any photos of me with the hats/

Thanks for the advice on the tie color.

Whoops, still on coffee no. 1 and am a little groggy. Sorry!

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
tonyb said:
Any idea at all what the interviewer(s) will be wearing?

Not exactly, but I assume it will the the school principal and the director of student services. Typcailly they wear a shirt and tie, sometimes a jacket, when I have seen them in their daily activities. However, they may wear a suit on a day the have to conduct interviews being I have never seen them in an interview setting.

I'm guessing you're at greater risk of overdressing than under-dressing. It's a rural middle school. I'd avoid wearing anything that might draw much attention to itself or that might leave the impression you are "showing up" the interviewers, or anyone else there, for that matter.

So I say jacket and trousers. Clean and crisp, of course. Tie. Fresh white (probably the safest color choice) shirt.

You appear young. Avoid anything that might make you seem even younger. Whatever you wear, I would hope that it is the least of your concerns during the interview. Put it on and then forget about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart