Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need advice: the latest chapter in my life...and my new place

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Well, folks...after a veritable flop in Indiana, I find myself (once again) in the sunny, salty expanse of overdeveloped urban jungle that I call my birthplace: Miami, FL. It is actually not as bad as I remember it, and I have actually begun to enjoy myself a little bit in spite of the situation. I have already begun to apply at various police departments and am now just trying to get everything going, as far as life after college goes. I have developed somewhat of a penchant for Jimmy Buffett once again (I guess he knew what he was saying when he wrote "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes!) and, once I find work, I will be moving into my own place for the very first time. I must say that I am rather excited about it...I have never had an apartment all to myself! It is a studio apartment in a genuine Art Deco building in Miami Beach exactly one block away from the sand...basically for free :D. The next item on my agenda, once I get my job situation nailed down, is to remodel that apartment. It was completely remodeled in the mid 1980s and has since had numerous items replaced. It is due for a new bathroom and the windows could use some fixing, but for the most part it is in excellent condition...just out of date and not at all to my taste. I would like to make it into what a classy golden-era apartment by the beach would have looked like. The problem is that I have no idea what that is. I have no idea where to look for an influence and I certainly have no clue as to what it would cost or how much effort on my part it would entail. If any of you are willing to help me pick out furniture, design a layout, pick out flooring, colors, really anything...I would really appreciate it. Some people are good at this, others enjoy this, some are both, and some are neither. I would not want to bug someone, but if this kind of thing is a hobby of yours, I could use the guidance. If any of you actually do this kind of remodeling work and are somewhat local, I could DEFINITELY use your business and I would contact you for a quote once I am in the position to make this happen. Either way, I thought I would just throw this out there. I really appreciate this web forum and all of the great folks that I have met through this. I hope to meet some of yall in the future and maybe have some of yall over to my new place once it's all done. Thanks again!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Before you go and look at any old 40's decorating book, remember that you are in an apartment... in Miami. Florida decorating is a whole different monster, especially back then. If it were me (and it won't be, because S. FL scares me), I would look for some of that old rattan/bamboo furniture with colorful cushions. It's comfy, and it screams Florida. Wallpaper wasn't a big thing then, because the humidity that close to the water would make it peel. Of course, your small kitchen appliances must be deco.

Another cool thing would be to scour the bay and local antique shops for old Miami maps to frame. Maybe a set of Miami postcards from that era. I am doing that with both Panama City and Gainesville, where I am now. If you can find an old Hialeah poster, or re-print, that would be a nice touch. Maybe reprints of posters from big band appearances of that era. If you can find a picture of your building from back then, that would be awesome!

Miami in 1940 was still a somewhat sleepy town, still not having recovered from the big land bust of the late 20's. That didn't happen until the military came during the war. There was also no Cuban influence, since Cuba was still open to US citizens. Not that this has anything to do with your question, I just threw it out there.

Oh, don't forget to join the local deco society. I bet they have plenty of decorating resources.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
6StringShooter said:
I will be moving into my own place for the very first time. I must say that I am rather excited about it...I have never had an apartment all to myself! It is a studio apartment in a genuine Art Deco building in Miami Beach exactly one block away from the sand...basically for free

Good news...you just died and went to Heaven. Well, at least, it sounds like it! May I recommend a complete streamlined Deco look? Start with horizontal bands of color that vary slightly darker beginning from the center of the wall upward and downward. Accent with silver banding at the breaklines. A few Warren McArthur chrome and leather/vinyl furniture pieces or Le Corbusier alternatives will stun your guests as they enter, then deliver the coup de grace with an Art Deco skyscraper-designed fireplace mantle or bar backed with a large cobalt blue round mirror. Accent with period Deco artifacts and chrome accessories, particularly. Torchieres, baby, torchieres. Take pictures. Post here. Make me (and most of the free world) jealous.

--Not the Lulu (A Deco-phile trapped in a ducks-wearing-bonnets world)

panamag8or

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
Good news...you just died and went to Heaven. Well, at least, it sounds like it! May I recommend a complete streamlined Deco look? Start with horizontal bands of color that vary slightly darker beginning from the center of the wall upward and downward. Accent with silver banding at the breaklines. A few Warren McArthur chrome and leather/vinyl furniture pieces or Le Corbusier alternatives will stun your guests as they enter, then deliver the coup de grace with an Art Deco skyscraper-designed fireplace mantle or bar backed with a large cobalt blue round mirror. Accent with period Deco artifacts and chrome accessories, particularly. Torchieres, baby, torchieres. Take pictures. Post here. Make me jealous.

--Not the Lulu (A Deco-phile trapped in a ducks-wearing-bonnets world)

Whoa, Lulu... he's doing this on a cop's salary.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I beg you...

do not commit heresy in a real Art Deco studio apartment so close to the beach in Miami, especially one that is "basically for free". Contact Ric and Iza at the Modernism Gallery in Coral Gables for some ideas:

http://www.modernism.com/

Please. Please, dear God, please.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
6StringShooter said:
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got your PM. I am, at best, what I would call a knowledgeable Art Deco enthusiast and by no means a design expert. I can "nail" an Art Deco home, though, having designed and decorated my present home exclusively in that style (with no small amount of help from Lulu, who is herself a very talented graphic design artist). I have been studying the style since the early 80s and buy/sell/collect Art Deco artifacts.

On the other hand, Ric and Iza Emmett are experts and will gladly offer invaluable advice to assist you in keeping the Art Deco integrity of your new home. (They provided several furniture and artifact props for many episodes of Miami Vice during its run in the 80s!) Keep one thing in mind: Good Deco isn't cheap. And it's an all-or-nothing design aesthetic that won't allow a mix of period designs in one setting. You may want to do one room at a time until you have it completed in Deco splendor. With patience, enough money, and persistence you will one day have a Deco showplace that is unmatched in glamour and class, I'm sure. The "oohs" and "aahs" that your guests will offer upon seeing it for the first time will more than compensate you for the expense! Best wishes as you embark on the adventure! I will gladly provide free advice for the asking by PM as you go.

--Not the Lulu

panamag8or

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
Got your PM. I am, at best, what I would call a knowledgeable Art Deco enthusiast and by no means a design expert. I can "nail" an Art Deco home, though, having designed and decorated my present home exclusively in that style (with no small amount of help from Lulu, who is herself a very talented graphic design artist). I have been studying the style since the early 80s and buy/sell/collect Art Deco artifacts.

On the other hand, Ric and Iza Emmett are experts and will gladly offer invaluable advice to assist you in keeping the Art Deco integrity of your new home. (They provided several furniture and artifact props for many episodes of Miami Vice during its run in the 80s!) Keep one thing in mind: Good Deco isn't cheap. And it's an all-or-nothing design aesthetic that won't allow a mix of period designs in one setting. You may want to do one room at a time until you have it completed in Deco splendor. With patience, enough money, and persistence you will one day have a Deco showplace that is unmatched in glamour and class, I'm sure. The "oohs" and "aahs" that your guests will offer upon seeing it for the first time will more than compensate you for the expense! Best wishes as you embark on the adventure! I will gladly provide free advice for the asking by PM as you go.

--Not the Lulu

What he said, although the framed set of historic miami postcards would still be a nice idea.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
One more thing: Check the local libraries for a copy of Art Deco by Young Mi Kim or check Barnes and Noble on-line at www.bnn.com. This is not the definitive book on the subject, but several rooms are pictured within that should give you ideas and work without being budget-busters. Take a stroll down Collins Avenue and stop in the bars at the Avalon and Colony hotels. Order your favorite libation and look around. Make mental notes of the architectural nuances you'll see. Visit Ric and Iza. Don't be over-whelmed by the prices--they deal in true period goods. Excellent reproductions and bargains are available if you look hard enough and there is always eBay (my favorite Art Deco store). Look into joining the local Art Deco Society and attend a Deco dealer's show (Ric can help you there).

And a final warning: There is no cure (short of running out of money) for the Art Deco-fever once you've caught it!

--Not the Lulu

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have no specific art deco advice.

But I do have some 'common sense' advice.

Don't rush.

You will not get everything the way you want it if you make deadlines for it to be perfect.

Part of the thrill of getting vintage stuff is the deals..and if you hurry and put timelines, you end up paying more and lose out on the 'thrill of the game' so to speak.

It takes people years to a lifetime to have a whole place how they want it, with the ideal pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ