Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice

Firemanpc

New in Town
I recently purchased one of my first quality fedoras, a Scala Venice. The hat is satin lined and has a plastic linining on the top. I just started to wear it as the weather in NJ/NY is starting to turn cool. It really is a great looking hat.
I have a a small issue and was wondering if someone could help. I have been shaving my head for many years and when I wear this hat, the plastic makes my head sweat profusely. The hat than sticks to the top of my bald head. Any tips on what to do. I really don't want to cut the plastic out but it may be my only solution.

Tone

A-List Customer
Hi, Firemanpc.

First thing, really, is to try and determine how much the plastic is helping the crown hold its shape from the inside. If it's a decent felt (or unless the plastic liner is actually helping add to and provide some reinforcement to the hat's crease) the liner should come out with no ill effects - save for cosmetic or resale value. IF you feel the liner is a factor in helping the hat hold its shape, then consider keeping it in and sweating it out (that is, IF you like the way the plastic is helping to keep the overall shape from the inside.)

If you're hot and uncomfortable in the thing, and aren't concerned with resale, etc. the next step is logical. Get rid of the liner. Depending on the nature of the felt (and the degree of pinches set to hold the bash into place) you shouldn't experience any major changes with the liner removed. If anything, you'll simply be more comfortable in the long run. Yank it and move on, basically. HOWEVER, ONE THING TO CONSIDER IS...

Is it really the plastic that is making you sweat profusely; or is it simply that the plastic gathers and makes the sweat more noticeable (thus, uncomfortable by you're being aware of it?) A felt hat with no eyelets or ventilation can have a tendency to make the head gather heat either way. The plastic may be resounding the sweat back onto your head uncomfortably, but you may also sweat just as much once the liner has been removed.

It could be a case of a heavier felt hat doing what it does when worn; liner or not. I've pulled the liner on a few hats, noticed very little difference in the degree in which I sweat before an after, and ultimately wished I'd kept the plastic in for aesthetic purposes. It could just be the weight of the felt, or nature of the hat, in general, that is uncomfortable.

Now, if you're considering the further step of adding grommets/eyelets to the hat to further cool it off; perhaps consider starting with a different hat entirely?

Much to consider; outcome to be about the same...yank the liner. There shouldn't be much difference in heat transfer; only that you might not notice how sweaty the inside gets once the plastic is removed. :)

jec

One of the Regulars
You don't need to remove the entire liner to solve this problem.

I also have had an issue with the plastic dome on a liner sticking to the top of my sweaty bald head. So I just remove the plastic from the satin liner. You can very carefully cut around just inside the edge of the plastic (with a small scissors). You keep the liner. Best of both worlds.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jec said:
You don't need to remove the entire liner to solve this problem.

I also have had an issue with the plastic dome on a liner sticking to the top of my sweaty bald head. So I just remove the plastic from the satin liner. You can very carefully cut around just inside the edge of the plastic (with a small scissors). You keep the liner. Best of both worlds.

Agree. I've done that too even though I have long hair.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Tone said:
I've pulled the liner on a few hats, noticed very little difference in the degree in which I sweat before an after, and ultimately wished I'd kept the plastic in for aesthetic purposes. It could just be the weight of the felt, or nature of the hat, in general, that is uncomfortable.

I for one think it's the weight, thickness, and composition of the felt itself that has the greatest impact on how warm (or otherwise) a given hat feels. Likewise, the composition and thickness (and heat index) of the liner itself can vary. Not all liners are created equal.

I agree with Tone that pulling the liner may or may not appreciably alter how hot a given hat feels, or how much sweat is produced while wearing it. That said, I'm the opposite in terms of aethetic! I can't stand those plastic crown covers! I much prefer a liner without any plastic at all.

Either way, remember that if you remove the liner without damaging it, you can always put it back in should you choose to do so.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
zetwal said:
I for one think it's the weight, thickness, and composition of the felt itself that has the greatest impact on how warm (or otherwise) a given hat feels. Likewise, the composition and thickness (and heat index) of the liner itself can vary. Not all liners are created equal.

The problem, in this case, seems to be more of a plastic tip cover actually resting against his skin and basically suffocating it. Like sitting in a leather chair naked! Very unpleasant on bare skin.

As the others have said, feel free to remove the tip covering (the plastic film) or the entire lining. Go about it carefully, and it doesn't really matter.

Hope you enjoy your hat. I have heard nice comments about the Scala Venice, by the way.

Firemanpc

New in Town
Problem solved

I have successfully removed only the plastic that was on the top part and what a difference it has made. I appreciate the advice and if I could figure out how to upload a photo to this website, I would show everyone this awesome hat.
Thanks again.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Firemanpc said:
I have successfully removed only the plastic that was on the top part and what a difference it has made. I appreciate the advice and if I could figure out how to upload a photo to this website, I would show everyone this awesome hat.
Thanks again.

Photobucket download. Right click, properties. Copy from the http\: onwards to just before the .jpg paste to this site...good luck![huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran