Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Ebay Help...please.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I just won an ebay auction for a bulky item. The seller guesstimated shipping at $25 but noted that they will paypal invoice for any difference once they know the shipping destination and can calculate true shipping charges.

So, should I pay for the auction NOW with the $25 shipping and then pay the seller outside ebay for any difference?

Or, should I click the "request total from seller" that appears when you are in the payment screen? Would this mean he would have the option to invoice me for the item and the correct shipping all in one shot through Ebay?

I just have this skepticism that I could pay for my item and the $25 shipping and if he's a scammer, he could invoice me outside ebay for some astronomical amount and threaten not to ship if I don't pay it. I know, I'm terrible! I just worry about strange stuff! I suppose if that happened, I could still rely on Ebay to arbitrate as the item would have been paid for already.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Request total from seller. Then you have a written record of the transaction/agreement.

Always make contact through Ebay, rather than in private emails. If you're contacted outside Ebay, make sure to include the text of that message in an Ebay message and politely ask to keep things in the Ebay space.

I prefer to use PayPal, rather than any other payment method. I've found there's more security and peace of mind that way. I've never been out of pocket using this method (other than stupid purchases, that is!)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
23SkidooWithYou said:
... should I click the "request total from seller" that appears when you are in the payment screen? Would this mean he would have the option to invoice me for the item and the correct shipping all in one shot through Ebay?

Yes, this is what you should do. And yes, he would then have the option to invoice you for the item and the adjusted shipping all in one shot through eBay.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently had a dispute with a seller. The seller clearly was at fault with my transaction and approximately 30 other buyers.

I choose to go through pay-pal as they are bound by contract to act as an intermediary should there be a problem regarding my use of their service.

Of course, we were successful. If I did not go through pay-pal I would have been left to pursue this matter through my credit card company and would have been equally successful. Since I used Ebay I will use pay-pal. Ebay owns pay-pal.

Should you go "off" ebay and conduct any further transacting there is the potential for a great many problems where pay-pal cannot assist you.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Some excellent advice.
This may be UK specific but I always purchase using my Mastercard, then pay it off at the end of the month, as this gives you a bit of extra protection. Of the 500+ transactions that I have had on eBay about 1% have gone bad. Unfortunately Paypal are not always a great help, other times they're fine.

I remember it took ages to complain about a seller who I hadn't sent my purchase but he had left eBay. I couldn't do the automatic claim because he was no longer a member of eBay, it took a few e-mails and a phone call it sort it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran