Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need feedback on hat on eBay- MY SIZE!

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Zohar
I don't know about Art's blocks, but Optimo and Peters Bros can reblock hats in sizes over 8.

Will they reblock hats made by other hatters?

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Hi Dave, nope I don't have unlimited choices on blocks in your size . I can re-block it but would have to bash it by hand.

Can you 'splain this Art? I'm still having a bit of trouble with the terminology...can you define blocking and bashing as it relates to this context?

Thanks,

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave
To re-block means ( in my language..it may be different for someone else) to steam it onto a standard block to get the basic shape of the hat correct ie: straight or tapered sides etc. When the re-block is done you end up with a dome shaped hat that then hat to be formed with center dent or "C" crown shape or whatever you choose. The exception to this in most cases is the Panama. These have to be made or re-blocked on shaped blocks as the fiber has to dry while shaped. There is even an exception there as you can do a telescope or pork pie by hand after the hat is blocked originally.
geeze, in reading this i'm not sure I made it clear, does this make sense to you?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave wrote
Will they reblock hats made by other hatters?

Yes most Hatters will reblock a hat from another seller.

I think we should have a Sticky where ART gives all of us a lesson on Hat Terms, Hat blocking, Tools, What is taper etc. :cool2: :D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
you end up with a dome shaped hat that then has to be formed with center dent or "C" crown shape or whatever you choose."

This is the bash part Dave, done by hand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic