Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need feedback on hat on eBay- MY SIZE!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's quite a neat looking hat. To me, it does appear to be a sort of hybrid Fedora/Homburg. The Homburg has a sort of rolled up bound brim with a center dent and no real front pinch (although a few do have a front pinch, most have only a center dent). The Fedora usually has a front pinch and snap down brim.

This hat has a quasi-snap brim that is sort of rolled up like a homburg, along with the fedora pinch. It's quite unique.

I certainly would say it's worth what the bid is currently (around $20), especially since it's in such a hard to find size. However, if the thing is made of wool, then I wouldn't bid over $40 or $50 on it unless you really really want it.

I'd try to find out what it's made out of. If it's fur felt, it's worth trying to get.

Can any real experts out there offer a more informed opinion than mine?

thefish

Familiar Face
Dave,

I would normally just say that having a noggin with it's own weather systems sort of limits possibilities, and that beggers can't be choosers, ;)

But, that's a darn nice chapeau, and I think it would look good on you, so I'd say go for it.

Canadave

One Too Many
Thanks for the education, Nathan...the link, Roger... and the wisecrack, thefish! :D (You do make an excellent point. I've been watching for this size for about 2 months, and this is the first one!)

The bidding's getting hot and heavy, but if it doesn't get crazy, I'll be there at the end.

Keep your fingers crossed (and don't bid agin me!),

D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave,
Although I have never held a Conley I know it's a good hat maker. This one appears to be a traditional "Snap Brim" in a good size. Let'er rip on the bidding!! This one should go for $100 + so get ready!
Normally I would go after these but this one's all yours my friend. I'll stay out of the fray. Besides, I've spent so much lately on blocks Janene would smack me for going on. :)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave,
Even if you don't get the bid keep watching the sellers auctions or email him and tell him you would like to be a back up bidder.One problem with Ebay is bid Retractions and Deadbeat bidders. They bid on a auction and never pay for the item which hurts the sellers and people who really wanted the item. I guess some bidders are just dishonest or don't understand the auction rules or just don't care. I always check the sellers feedback as well as the bidders especially the bidders if i lose an auction. I have gotten many items i thought i had lost by doing this.

Canadave

One Too Many
Thanks, Guys!

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
I have gotten many items i thought i had lost by doing this.

Great advice. I lost on a pen once, and emailed the guy to see if he had another of the same model. He did, so I bought it directly from him. I wouldn't have thought of the "deadbeat bidders" element!

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
...This one should go for $100 + so get ready!.

OK, first I have this huge, hard to fit head, then I find a hat and it's going to go for >$100? What up wit dat? I hear you guys talking about picking up perfectly decent vintage hats for $30-40! Oh well, I guess beggers can't be choosers! :rolleyes:

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave, you don't really think you won't have competition on this do you? Take a guess how many guys have 7 1/4 heads that can fulfill their wishes at about any time and know it vs guys with 7 7/8 and know how seldom they come up. You might get lucky, but I'm just giving you a target ahead of time just so you aren't unpleasantly surprised. If I were in your position and had the money I would shoot the moon for this one.
Good Luck & Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dave, think of this

I have bought MANY hats on Ebay, and have been very very lucky on some. I have two hats that IMHO are worth $750 - $1000, and I paid around $50 -$75 (one was cheaper, the other more). I have also bought a conformature, and STOLE it for 1/4 of it's true value (seller didn't know what it was, and listed ut under buy-it -now AND I DID!!!!!!)

Sometimes you have to bid high, and get what you want. You have to realize that the $40 hat on Ebay is common, but the finer items that the knowing person recognizes will go for much higher.

If you got this hat for under $150, it would be a bargain if it is good quality and vintage. Having one made in your size will cost you $250 (Dave Brown hats), $425 (Optimo), or $200 (Peter Bro.s I think).

So, the bottom like is Ebay can be a real bargain if it is what you want and in good shape.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Dave, think of this

Originally posted by Andykev
...If you got this hat for under $150, it would be a bargain if it is good quality and vintage....

Aha, but is it? I've been told that it was made by a quality hatter, but I have no idea about this particular hat. Can anyone venture a guess at the vintage?

hat333.JPG

Thanks a lot,

David

PS I'm actually not crazy about the style, but I figure, if the hat fits...

Maybe I could bash it into another style. (Did I use that terminology correctly???)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave
You can write or call the Hatter. The Conley Hat Manufacturing Company opened in May of 1986 So thats your vintage 1986 to 2004. I'm sure the famous hat blocker that posts here could change the block if you wanted.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ouch!!!

Let'er rip on the bidding!! This one should go for $100 + so get ready!

It went for under the $100+ prediction form Art and I. Oh my! Just remember, this hat could have been reblocked to any style you wished. So fellow Loungers, this is an improtant lesson and an example of something I posted a long time ago:
When the auction ends, and you loose, do you feel really really bad? That "dang it all" feeling? If NOT, you didn't really want it that bad. If you DO feel like never being asked at the school dance...then you SHOULD have bid higher.
ALWAYS bid what you are WILLING to PAY.

If someone is "dumb" 'nuff to pay more, then you should NOT feel bad, as they are the silly one.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Ouch!!!

I'm a little disappointed (but not crushed) because this size comes up so rarely. The down sides - black in colour, made sometime after 1986, not knowing the quality of felt - make me feel not too bad about it.

Originally posted by Andykev
...Just remember, this hat could have been reblocked to any style you wished....

Just so I understand...the person doing the reblock would have to have a size 7 7/8 block in the style of choice, no? In this case, I don't think anyone in my area could do this. Art, if my understanding is correct, do you have unlimited styles in which you could have reblocked this hat?

Thanks,

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
"do you have unlimited styles in which you could have reblocked this hat?"

Hi Dave, nope I don't have unlimited choices on blocks in your size . I can re-block it but would have to bash it by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic