Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help for vintage set design.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Hello folks. I'm designing a set for a play that takes place in late 1800s Chicago, but I'm having trouble finding references for interior design and furniture. The characters are wealthy captains of industry; so I want the sets to reflect that. Is there an image database or any specific books I could look up? Thanks.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Try taking a look at some of these:
The Age of Innocence (1993), 1870's New York among the upper class.
The Importance of Being Earnest (2002), Victorian England (set mostly in an older woman's home).
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), original novel published in 1891.

You could also look at various Sherlock Holmes films, it's around the correct time period. And if you need to steal props from older productions, stuff from My Fair Lady can usually be thrown back together to improvise a Victorian set.

Hope that helps.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have this book and it is quite extensive with photos. Many of the companies are in Chicago area.
I would think any Eastlake furniture would fit this and sad to say is down in price recently.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...n america furniture&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I am sorry as I spoke too fast on this. Is this something that is professional and has to be totally accurate or like a school play?
I did find in one of my American Antique Furniture books that a Chicago Columbian Exhibition took place in 1893. This tells of eclecticism and confusion of design. You had oriental, and endless revival styles. Maybe find photos of this exhibition would work?
Hope you do well.

http://www.efi-costarica.com/Revival.html

http://www.chicagolife.net/content/architecture/Hyde_Park_Revisited

Do a search for this chicago exhibition and you will find lots of info that may help.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Thank you all very much for your replies. I guess this is the right subforum. :eek:

ShoreRoadLady: That NY times archive was useful, I never thought of that.

Spiffy: Thanks for the titles, I'll hit the library soon. And Sherlock Holmes! Why didn't I think of that either?

Vintage Betty, I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Foofoogal and Bourbon Guy: I had never heard of the Chicago Exhibition, thanks for bringing that up.

To clear something up; I am a theatre student so right now this is purely academic. The most I am required to do is build a 1/4 scale model of the set and make some costume designs. Thank you all again for your help, but please keep the references coming! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael