Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help Identifying Mystery Highwayman Style Jacket

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The title of this thread is something I have posted before I believe. Apparently, I have an affinity for old Highwayman style jackets that don't have labels in them :rolleyes:. This is a fresh eBay grab. Looks to have seen some decent use as there is a hole in the liner and visible wear in the cuffs. Also, some Genius decided the jacket would be better by removing the waist adjusters :mad::mad::mad:.

The eyes of the FL are keen on details I can't always discern. Please take a look at the posted pics and see if this jacket can be identified. The pictures are from the Seller as it won't be received for about a week. The rear view photo shows it as a little drapey. I think this may just from being hung on an undersized hanger.

What say you, humble Lounge dwellers!!!????????????? Any clues??? As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated AND counted toward your own good karma ;)

Front View.jpg
Rear View.jpg
Laid Flat Front Unzipped.jpg
Laid Flat Spread Open.jpg
Waist Adjuster Removed.jpg
Waist Adjuster Removed II.jpg
Front Closer View.jpg
Nice Grain.jpg
Cuffs w Storm Sleeves.jpg
Lining Hole.jpg

I would have guessed that too..but I don't think the collar is quite like a Highwayman collar..and the zipper pull doesn't look like Aero's normal pull. Yet the leather does look like some of their older hide.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I thought it might be an old Aero.

HD: The hide does look to me like what I've seen on old Aero steerhide jackets. But I haven't ever seen one in person. Via photo---the construction looks very similar but there are subtle differences as well. I agree that the zippers don't seem to be what we see on Aeros. These days, they have a full range of cool vintage reproduction pulls that I haven't seen on older jackets. Admittedly, my knowledge and experience with even seeing them in pictures is very limited. You don't see that many old ones.

Guppy, I agree, it could have been relined. Although, the heavy wear kinda indicates to me that the lining may be original. Either that, or there was indeed heavy wear after the reline was done. Also, the storm cuffs look worn. Maybe just a body reline??? IFFFFF its an Aero, a reline is a likely reason for no tag being present.

I am going to try to look for some older Aeros and see if anything jumps out. Sometimes, you see these old ones with leather labels etc. and certain aspects kinda look different--like they updated the pattern a little bit and obviously the labels not only vary, but have changed over the years.

Thanks for the input!!! :cool:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
YKK zips wouldn’t be original on an Aero.

Very True. I wonder if there was a zipper change. Clearly the previous owner had the waist adjusters removed. Could this person also have had a zipper replacement??? Anyone who would have the side adjusters removed would be JUST the type of guy who WOULD have a YKK thrown on there as well. :p
I thought Aero zippers were on the right side. This jacket has it on the left like in England. Odd twist.....

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley