Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying this G-1

HPA Rep

Vendor
I'm pretty sure it's a 1970s civilian copy of a G-1 jacket. It isn't a faithful copy of a m-422 or a m-422a because the m-422 had no pencil pocket and the pencil pocket on the -422a was stitched completely down the interior side of the left pocket. The pencil pocket on this jacket appears to be patterned after those found on modern G-1s. I guess the argument could be made that this is a copy of an early series G-1, but I'm also thinking the flat-pull Scovill zipper isn't a replacement. Scovill zips were generally found on many 1970's flight jackets...G-1s, MA-1s, N-3Bs and N-2As. I think the maker of this jacket just used what the various military contractors were then using.

Just my 2 cents...

AF

Please allow me to differ, Atticus Finch: The stitching you describe on the M-422A pencil slot is unique to Gordon & Ferguson; other contractors did feature a distinctly separate slot on the M-422A as found on the later G-1 55-J-14. Please have a look at M-422A's made by H&L Block, Monarch, Willis & Geiger, etc. And the M-422 jacket certainly did have a dedicated pencil slot, which you can see on extant examples, albeit these are quite rare.

I agree with your assertion, however, that this is not an issue jacket and simply a commercial item from my childhood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto