Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need info on vintage Stetson Find

Muzz

New in Town
I found this hat today at a second hand store here in Seattle. It has a light brown sweat with "Imperial Stetson vita-felt process" stamped in gold. The liner says Imperial Stetson. I would love any info on this hat, era, felt, name etc.

drkrbrown.jpg

sidefrontbrown1.jpg

RedPop4

One Too Many
Photos of the inside of the hat, the label, the sweat, would allow the detectives to work their magic. Look under the sweat, as well, and see if there's a little card in there with the model number, size and such.

That's a lovely hat, by the way.

If it isn't asking too much, Muzz (and perhaps it is) -- which of our local secondhand shops supplied that hat? Looks like a beaut, man. It's been a good long while since I've come across such a fine lid in such an emporium.
(If you wanted to keep your source to yourself, well, I couldn't fault you for that.)
And ... do you mind saying how much it cost you?

Muzz

New in Town
Inside Pics

Of course, inside pics.......

fullinside.jpg

insidebrown1.jpg

and the tag.......
tag.jpg

It was at Yesterdayz in the pike place market. They have a TON of hats, a couple Knox's, a good number of stetsons, none even close to my size, but all vintage, head down there and clean 'em out!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know what they say about opinions.
There is no guaranteed Stetson reference.
But a Vita-Felt hat with that appearance
has to be 40s, it seems to me.

Do a search on vita-felt on this site and you'll
find more information.

Very nice hat.

Marc

Vendor
:eek: Love that hat!!! LOVE it!!!

If you even wanna part with it, please let me know;) Congrats with it!

Regards,

Marc

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
There are several Stetson ads for Vita-felt hats for sale on eBay, all from the early 40s. There was a vita-felt hat sold there yesterday, I think. One of the hats I was watching.

Cheers,
Tom

Muzz

New in Town
Feraud said:
I have a Whippet that looks similar but yours looks to be in excellent condition!
Congrats on the great find.

I thought it was a lot like a Whippet too, except it has a much larger brim than other whippets i've seen, and its an imperial quality rather than royal. Could it be a pre-whippet whippet? The original that inspired its own line in years to come? I would love to think its from the 40's, its in perfect condition. It must have been worn a lot, because the felt is so soft, but there isn't a single stain, hole or mark on the whole hat! I wish I could post the smell, it smells like other stuff from the 40's and I don't mean my folks! As far as what I paid, i think the fella knew what he had, it was $75. Even though its 7 1/4 and I wear a 7 3/8, it fits well. I'm going to take it by Byrnie Utz next week, since they have been selling Stetsons since 1934, maybe they can help identify it!

Thanks for all the feedback, its nice to hear from the well informed that I did well!

oh yeah, anyone in western washington, go to Yesterdayz in the Pike place market!

Muzz

New in Town
That is sooooo funny, I was just looking at that ad on ebay, and was going to post it and say "I think mine is the brown one" great minds..... i would love to find a higher res pic to read the type, maybe i'll just buy it!

Muzz

New in Town
jamespowers said:
They are nice hats and are well worth what you paid for it. So, since it is a Vita Felt, how does it feel? Pretty soft and supple eh? ;)

Regards,

J

The felt is very soft and supple, has a suede feel, the color is just so deep! My hat has a bigger brim than in the ad, but its not a photo, so who knows!

RedPop4 said:
So do I.
How old are those folks at Byrnie Utz?;) lol

Well the couple that owns/operates the place now must be in their late 40's eary 50's, not sure if they are kin to the original owners though. The whole store is still straight out of the 30's, from the signs out front to the oak display shelves! Somebody, I think Fedora Lover, posted pics on a thread here somehwere.

Funny story: I asked my grandpa if he had any old fedoras, sadly, he said he lost his one and only many years ago. After I bought one at Byrnie Utz, I told him about it and he said he had bought his Fedora at Byrnie Utz in 1956! great minds.....kindred minds!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn