Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Lounger's advice on selling rare hat

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
What kind of authenticity do you have to provide with the hat? If you have material that provides provenance, that will probably determine how you go about selling it.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
I guess the next question would be my original question.

Do you know which eBay catagory would be best suited to list this item?

Best, Toots

fatwoul

Practically Family
Ed - I detect a little hostility here, but it seems to me that Zohar and Bruneau are asking legitimate questions regarding the item - afterall, they might be interested in obtaining it. You never know.

I hope that what I am about to write is not the case, but by evading the question, you are creating an air of suspicion around the item in question, which I'm sure is not your intention.

The answer to your question would be to put it under several categories including collectibles, women's clothing accessories, etc.

If the item genuinely has the provenance you are suggesting, eBay also list high-profile items on their front pages, but I don't know how one arranges to include an item there. Might I suggest that you contact eBay themselves for advice on this matter. Since the item has been in your possession for some time, I doubt there is any hurry on your part to sell, it, so I would say just email them and wait to see what they say.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First, of all, don't blow off the question of authenticity, a letter from a dealer may not be enough for some or all potential buyers.

An item like this should be cross listed. Entertainment memorabilia in a number of areas, from autographs to movie memorabilia. You would also want to list it in the women's vintage hat category. You might also participate in an ebay forum to get advice.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
First, of all, don't blow off the question of authenticity, a letter from a dealer may not be enough for some or all potential buyers...

Yes MBH my thoughts exactly - and for all we know, those asking the question in this thread may be those potential buyers.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
fatwoul said:
Ed - I detect a little hostility here, but it seems to me that Zohar and Bruneau are asking legitimate questions regarding the item - afterall, they might be interested in obtaining it. You never know.

I hope that what I am about to write is not the case, but by evading the question, you are creating an air of suspicion around the item in question, which I'm sure is not your intention.

The answer to your question would be to put it under several categories including collectibles, women's clothing accessories, etc.

If the item genuinely has the provenance you are suggesting, eBay also list high-profile items on their front pages, but I don't know how one arranges to include an item there. Might I suggest that you contact eBay themselves for advice on this matter. Since the item has been in your possession for some time, I doubt there is any hurry on your part to sell, it, so I would say just email them and wait to see what they say.

Hello fatwoul
No hostilty or evasion intended. I just didn't want to get involved in a 2 day discussion as to whether or not my hat met with the approval of the Lounger's authenticity guidlines and debate endlessly one person's advice against another's as to what they all feel is truly acceptable authenticity. As you know the opinions on this matter are many and varied. I will certainly be answering questions on this matter if and when I list this hat on eBay.

I was certain Loungers had purchased/sold hats on eBay and could simply recommend the easiest pathway for me to do the same. I have contacted ebay and followed their advice.

Best, Toots

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ed,

You answered my question with your post, and MissBella and Fatwoul both gave you the best advice. I think you know where to go from here.

Cheers,
~Z

fatwoul

Practically Family
Ed Bass said:
No hostilty or evasion intended. I just didn't want to get involved in a 2 day discussion as to whether or not my hat met with the approval of the Lounger's authenticity guidlines and debate endlessly one person's advice against another's as to what they all feel is truly acceptable authenticity. As you know the opinions on this matter are many and varied. I will certainly be answering questions on this matter if and when I list this hat on eBay.

I was certain Loungers had purchased/sold hats on eBay and could simply recommend the easiest pathway for me to do the same. I have contacted ebay and followed their advice.

Best, Toots

Glad to hear you are going to see what eBay suggests. Apologies if my own tone seemed in any way antagonistic. Rest assured I meant well. lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
First, of all, don't blow off the question of authenticity, a letter from a dealer may not be enough for some or all potential buyers.

An item like this should be cross listed. Entertainment memorabilia in a number of areas, from autographs to movie memorabilia. You would also want to list it in the women's vintage hat category. You might also participate in an ebay forum to get advice.
Yes. Also there just might be a photograph or photographs in existence which show Miss Monroe actually wearing the hat.
It occurs to me that this just might be the kind of item that would be best handled by an auction house like Christie's. [huh]

fatwoul

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
...It occurs to me that this just might be the kind of item that would be best handled by an auction house like Christie's. [huh]

The man makes an excellent point. Ed you should definitely also think about contacting auction houses.

(BTW - Nick I haven't forgotten about your PM I'm going to deal with those shortly, if that's OK. :) )

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
(BTW - Nick I haven't forgotten about your PM I'm going to deal with those shortly, if that's OK. :) )
Quite alright, take your time. :) If I can get a decent photo of my last drawing, I will run it by y'all here later. It's an Art Deco kinda thing from a series of drawings I started a while back.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Yes. Also there just might be a photograph or photographs in existence which show Miss Monroe actually wearing the hat.
It occurs to me that this just might be the kind of item that would be best handled by an auction house like Christie's. [huh]

This is what I was going to suggest. An item part of MM's personal collection , IMO, would be something a major auction house would be very anxious to handle.

Ebay can be such a nickle and dime scenario depending on who's bidding. This hat could be offered to some very serious folks through the right channels very quickly..The pillbox is an iconic hat in and of itself as well.

We saw the FDR fedora recently and it was thought and expected that the hat should have gone higher....

just another 2 pennies......

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
fatwoul,
No apology necessary. Your post was direct and to the point. I detected no hosility. But thanks for the follow up.

Maj. Nick Danger,
This is a course of action I had not considered but makes much sense. I will contact Christie's tomorrow and see what they suggest.

I knew I would find the answer here.

Best, Toots

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Ed Bass said:
Hello all,
I have decided to sell a hat from my collection. This is a pillbox hat originally owned by Marylin Monroe. It is from her personal wardrobe not part of a movie costume. I have owned it for many years but now I feel it's time for someone else to be the custodian of this rare treasure.

You may want to consider a higher grade of auctioneer. Items like this get bid up frantically in the Hollywood Memorabilia auctions. contact www.ProfilesInHistory.com about listing this hat in their next auction. They do about three a year. ADDENDUM: I just glanced at their page and they have a consignment solicitation notice right there on the front page. Go for it!

They will need a meticulous chain of provenance, though, so all prior questions about the authenticity stand. Good luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany