Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 1948 kitchen for sale....

That's some cool stuff, all right. My hesitation (besides what will surely be a steep price) is that the stuff is "new," and it will inevitably show signs of use once it is put into service.

It the same reason I'd be very reluctant to drive, say, a never-been-on-a-public-roadway '57 T-Bird.

But again, it's a great find.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've lived with Youngstown cabinets in a past apartment, and I have a friend who has a very similar set to these in her kitchen (where they've been in continuous use since 1950). Generally a high-quality product all around. However, the sink is the weak link -- it's pressed steel, not cast iron, and the enamel needs to be cared for gently to keep it from wearing off -- so hopefully whoever gets this will give it proper attention.

I'm just amazed that stories like this - like the one about the house that still has it's 1950s "everything" - keep popping up. That is a fantastic looking stove. Anyone know what's going on with the back left burner?

Tony B, you've identified the Catch 22 of NOS. We just found a NOS porcelain light fixture (the ones that were in all the closets and many kitchens in the '20s and '30s - white, basic, pull chain) with it's original box. It was very inexpensive (the quirkiness of old things - some just aren't expensive if they don't have a following even if "rare"), but we almost feel bad about using it as it will then no longer be NOS. But anthropomorphizing as we are wont to do, we think it will enjoy being used, having a purpose and it will appreciate being in a 1928 apartment which is "age appropriate" for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner