Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aerial Star A2, Incredible Steerhide, Great Cut, I Love It!

thor

One Too Many
How does it fit?

And what are the measurements for your 44?

Are they as expected:

A size 44 regular would give these measurements:

Across Chest: 24.5"
Across Shoulders: 19" (closer to 19.5" epaulet to epaulet)
Sleeve Length: 24" (27" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 26.5" (including wool waistband)

A size 44 tall is exactly the same except for the sleeve length and back length. A size 44 tall would give you:

Across Chest: 24.5"
Across Shoulders: 19" (closer to 19.5" epaulet to epaulet)
Sleeve Length: 25" (28" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 27.5" (including wool waistband)​
Hmmm, these measurements for the 44L are spot on for me. Been in the market for a seal brown slash-pocket A-2 and have followed DD's "Aero Happy Days" thread with interest. The Aerial Star ticks all the boxes for me and might be my next purchase.

Last edited:

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, these measurements for the 44L are spot on for me. Been in the market for a seal brown slash-pocket A-2 and have followed DD's "Aero Happy Days" thread with interest. The Aerial Star ticks all the boxes for me and might be my next purchase.

If only I could get an extra 1/2" on the sleeves of a 44 regular, it'd be perfect and I'd be ordering the A-2 with slash pockets immediately. :(

Brettafett

One Too Many
I am surprised he wouldn't do 1/2...? I went a bit longer on sleeves this time, because (in my experience) they tend to crease in the armpits and elbows and 'shorten' slightly... Esp with a little hot water treatment to get them supple...

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I am surprised he wouldn't do 1/2...? I went a bit longer on sleeves this time, because (in my experience) they tend to crease in the armpits and elbows and 'shorten' slightly... Esp with a little hot water treatment to get them supple...

He won't.

Maybe I should buy a 44 long and get my dress-maker to shorten the body. If Chris can send me a 44 regular zip with my jacket, it will be possible for her. An option I guess. At least I get the extra length in the sleeves. I know though, at a centre-back length of 27.5" it will be too long in the body.

Azog

Familiar Face
Could you ask for long sleeves sewn on a regular body? No custom cutting required just mixing up the sleeves and body.
That said, 27inches sleeve already seems quite long for an A2 size44. With the knit wrist they will never come down to your first thumb knuckle which a lot of people like on other style of jackets. The knits will keep the sleeves closer to where your hand begins. TOO much sleeve and you'll get tunneling.
Also a 27.5inch back doesn't seem overly long for a tall person. Especially if you are a shirt untucked guy.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
He won't.

Maybe I should buy a 44 long and get my dress-maker to shorten the body. If Chris can send me a 44 regular zip with my jacket, it will be possible for her. An option I guess. At least I get the extra length in the sleeves. I know though, at a centre-back length of 27.5" it will be too long in the body.

You know your own dimensions/what works better than I do, but are you sure the 27" sleeves aren't long enough already? Those are some long sleeves. Like I mentioned, I'll order an Aero or a Johnson non-knitted jacket with 27-27.5" sleeves, but the longest I'd settle for with another Aerial Star would be 27", but I'd be smarter going a half inch shorter than that.. I had 27.5" on mine and they were about an inch too long. The way the jacket is built doesn't take kindly to too long of sleeves. You can get away with it in a non-knitted jacket, but for an A-2, you don't want them too long, otherwise the knits not only tunnel, but the sleeve bunches up and doesn't look great. Of course, if you feel you must veer on the safe side, you'll want your extra half an inch. But 27" are truly long already.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, what Nick said. Nothing worse then the tunneled sleeve look on any knit cuff jacket sleeve. Dave, measure a jacket you already have and go with that length. I have long arms and am six two. Anything between 25.5 and 27 I can get away with fine.

Cocker

Practically Family
Guys, I see everywhere people stating that the sleeves tend to get a bit shorter with the leather's wrinkling after a few times. In this case, I'm in between 44R and 44L, as per dimensions stated above. My Alpha L-2B sleeves in XL are 27 1/2 inches up to the end of the cuffs, and they fits perfectly. So I guess best option for me would be to go for a 44L?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have heard the sleeve shortening thing for years. In 30 years of buying and selling leather jackets it's never been my experience. Maybe, depending on the leather, a sleeve shortened by a tiny amount while it hung in my cupboard - all I can say is it never looked noticeably different.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The only sleeve length 'shrinking' I've had has been where deep creases have developed on the insides of the elbows. It's happened to some extent on every leather jacket I've ever owned. I do not consider this to be a defect, just the nature of leather. Except goat. I've never had a goat jacket develop that kind of creasing.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
You know your own dimensions/what works better than I do, but are you sure the 27" sleeves aren't long enough already? Those are some long sleeves. Like I mentioned, I'll order an Aero or a Johnson non-knitted jacket with 27-27.5" sleeves, but the longest I'd settle for with another Aerial Star would be 27", but I'd be smarter going a half inch shorter than that.. I had 27.5" on mine and they were about an inch too long. The way the jacket is built doesn't take kindly to too long of sleeves. You can get away with it in a non-knitted jacket, but for an A-2, you don't want them too long, otherwise the knits not only tunnel, but the sleeve bunches up and doesn't look great. Of course, if you feel you must veer on the safe side, you'll want your extra half an inch. But 27" are truly long already.

Yeah, what Nick said. Nothing worse then the tunneled sleeve look on any knit cuff jacket sleeve. Dave, measure a jacket you already have and go with that length. I have long arms and am six two. Anything between 25.5 and 27 I can get away with fine.

27" sleeves on the Aerial Star may be a fraction too short in the sleeves because my other repro jackets with knitted cuffs (including a repro suede bomber jacket) definitely have 27" measured from the shoulder seam down to the end of the wool wristlet, BUT have a shoulder seam measurement of 20", whereas the AS jacket has 19-19.5" shoulders. Plus if the sleeves lose 1/2" after creasing, I really need the extra length. I'd rather get the sleeves too long and have them shortened by my dress-maker, than have them too short.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Could you ask for long sleeves sewn on a regular body? No custom cutting required just mixing up the sleeves and body.
That said, 27inches sleeve already seems quite long for an A2 size44. With the knit wrist they will never come down to your first thumb knuckle which a lot of people like on other style of jackets. The knits will keep the sleeves closer to where your hand begins. TOO much sleeve and you'll get tunneling.
Also a 27.5inch back doesn't seem overly long for a tall person. Especially if you are a shirt untucked guy.

I can ask. I'll let you know what he says.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I agree with Big J. Wearing a new leather jacket most often will cause sleeve creases that lose at least 1/2" after it's well broken in. At least that's been my experience.
HD
Exactly, certainly not a defect. The sleeves of every A-2 I have owned have shortened slightly from general wear.
Once.... once, I gave an ELC warm water treatment and the sleeves shrunk quite a bit!
So. Just saying, if you need to lose sleeve length, expect 0.5" from general wear and if you want, you can try HWT the elbow and armpit areas, may lose another 0.5 to 1"...

thor

One Too Many
DD, maybe you can go with a size 46 Arial Star? It should have a slightly wider shoulder and maybe a longer sleeve then a size 44? Might be a good compromise. Just a thought.

Azog

Familiar Face
Seems like they've totally ruled out any kind of customisation. It must keep things simpler for them at the expense of losing customers who need adjustments to body and/or sleeve length. I almost pulled the trigger not long after they started and it's still often on my mind to get one of their slash pocket A2's but can't go ahead if they can't do slight length adjustments.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
DD, maybe you can go with a size 46 Arial Star? It should have a slightly wider shoulder and maybe a longer sleeve then a size 44? Might be a good compromise. Just a thought.

I don't want any longer body than what comes on the 44 regular - 26.5".

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Seems like they've totally ruled out any kind of customisation. It must keep things simpler for them at the expense of losing customers who need adjustments to body and/or sleeve length. I almost pulled the trigger not long after they started and it's still often on my mind to get one of their slash pocket A2's but can't go ahead if they can't do slight length adjustments.

Me neither. :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points