Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new Aero a-2 pattern

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If an A2 is marketed as a repro of a specific contract it should be as close as possible to that contract IMO. Although the fine details are clearly not important to some here they are to others. There are plenty of house A2s on the market, which do not resemble a specific Wartime contract for those who do not care about accuracy. Aero have improved their 1938 jacket, but more still needs to be done if it is to be in the same league as the GW repro..

Edward

Bartender
I don't think the market needs Aero's mil repops to be as accurate as others. They're a style, and well made. If you need that accuracy, there's plenty of options out there.

The market might not require another option, but if Aero want to increase their market share with the military jackets, it's a logical development to make, especially with BK competing against them on price (formerly, they were the cheapest of all the higher-end repro makers).

It's all web-fueled pedantry, at the end of the day, Edward.

Weeeelll, it is and it isn't. I've no interst in the tiny-minded "my jacket is better than your jacket" school of thought, or people like that eedjit who turned up here howling that Aeros were "unbelievably poor quality", and whatever. It's nice to know, though, what the limitations as repros are of the various models. All thins considered, to me a jacket is a jacket is a jacket, BUT if I'm paying money for a reproduction I want to know how far it is accurate. I may ultimately decide the small degree of inaccuracy does not matter to me - certainly not enough to pay the upcharge or the obvious alternatives but I do like to be fully informed.

If an A2 is marketed as a repro of a specific contract it should be as close as possible to that contract IMO. Although the fine details are clearly not important to some here they are to others. There are plenty of house A2s on the market, which do not resemble a specific Wartime contract for those who do not care about accuracy. Aero have improved their 1938 jacket, but more still needs to be done if it is to be in the same league as the GW repro..

Yes, it's all horses for courses. I tend to agree on principle, though obviously we all have our compromises (or otherwise) we're prepared to make. GW are undoubtedly the most accurate, but they're also well outside of my price band (tbh, even if I had that sort of money, I'd probably rather have a suit run up than spend it on an A2). That said, I do really like knowing they're out there providing something at that level for those who do want to pay the price.

I'm pretty sure that if Aero wanted to be "the most accurate" they know what needs to be done. I am glad the likes of ELC, GW, and BK are accuracy freaks. That just means there's enough accurate makers to appease those that require it. I don't think Aero would necessarily benefit from this myself, that's all I'm saying. If I want dead - on, I know where to go. If I'm looking for a style, I likewise know where to go. There aren't that many folks who look at the details like some collectors do. There's room for both in my closet, and I just pick the makers based on what I need. Would Aero really benefit more than a few extra sales if they pumped up the accuracy in the A-2?
People take those statements to say I don't care about accuracy and / or think it's stupid. Neither are true. I just know where to go to get it when I want it.

Marv

A-List Customer
Don't like it I'm afraid, looks like a 70's suede copy of an A2 but then again I'm not a fan of any of the Aero contracts to be honest irrespective of who makes them.....so it's a no from me.

devilish

A-List Customer
Yeah, not a fan of that one. The GW light russet HH is much nicer (I know and costs muuuucccchhh more) but still there's something not quite right about that Aero.

I don't even see it as an "A-2" when I look at it. It just seems like a mil-styled jacket that would look good as a casual jacket. Guessing that's what they wanted, but maybe not. Fashion is a finicky thing...we all have different needs and likes. It's not my thing, but at one time, I would have liked it.

Brettafett

One Too Many
The cut seems to be fairly close to original 1938 Aeros. The caramel colour is lighter than many originals from this contract. The pocket flaps appear a little large, especially from the mid point to the top of the flap.

IMO the Good Wear version is very close to originals.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/1938_AcmeA2_No1_44/1938_Acme_A2.jpg

Andrew, I would be interested in your opinion of Aero's Bronco pattern... One can clearly see differences between Aero's version and the GW.
I assume there were variations in the WW2 patterns as well, I have seen pics (and a coupe of originals) with wide sleeve ends and very narrow sleeves for egs... And Aero's pockets...?
Thanks in Advance

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here's the question: is Aero just making minor adjustments such as zippers to their mil jackets, or are they completely overhauling the cut/fit of the jackets?

I remember reading an Aero A-2 review on acme depot and if I remember correctly, the consensus on the Aero A-2 was that there were several apparent innacuracies, but these were intentionally there to boost the durability/sturdiness of the jacket. Maybe I'm taking the review out of context but that was my impression.
Personally, I like this mindset!

majormajor

One Too Many
There are those that believe that another esteemed UK A2 maker learned/stole from Ken Calder(depending on your viewpoint) the skills necessary to make A2s .

The discussion/argument (again, depending on your viewpoint) about who is "accurate" has been going on for a long time, and will, no doubt carry on for ever.:D;)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Here's the question: is Aero just making minor adjustments such as zippers to their mil jackets, or are they completely overhauling the cut/fit of the jackets?

I remember reading an Aero A-2 review on acme depot and if I remember correctly, the consensus on the Aero A-2 was that there were several apparent innacuracies, but these were intentionally there to boost the durability/sturdiness of the jacket. Maybe I'm taking the review out of context but that was my impression.
Personally, I like this mindset!

I hope they don't change how they make the knits. As memory serves, they have changed those very lightly for durability, and those on my Aero are vastly superior to the ones on my ELC. Similar age jackets, the ELCs are a bit stretched out, the Aero's good as new. That's one very subtle compromise I am happy to make.

majormajor

One Too Many
Got one!:D;)

newaero.jpg

Late night photo is not the best. My apologies. A beautiful "wartime" fit. Looking forward to breaking this one in!!:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
Looks good Major! Looking forward to you modeling this one. Taking a holiday in Scotland?

I was just up there for the afternoon, which I spent in a very happy, friendly Leather Jacket Factory in Galashiels!

The welcome I received fro Ken, Lydia and Holly, along with ALL the staff, was absolutely outstanding.

And I came away with two leathers, one of which will remain under wraps until after the Show, and Ken & I hatched plans for a third, unique jacket just for me, so I drove all the way back to England with a large smile on my face!

Happy, happy days:D:D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner