Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Arrival

Pics of a few days of some wear...and water spray. the hvy HH is beginning to relax and shape somewhat....

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

HD

Peacoat said:
Yep, not nearly as stiff. Do you think you will wear that on the bike once it softens?

No...I bought this jacket only for street wear. It doesn't have extra long sleeves..or bi-swing back for riding. I have several other jackets used on the MC. A couple vintage cafe jackets...several traditional style...and a couple Harley 100th editions. To tell you the truth..for me..Aero's hvy FQHH is really too heavy for me to feel comfortable in on a long ride. Aero's medium weight might suit me better on the cycle.
HD

JanSolo

Practically Family
Outstanding jacket and great fit. The Bootlegger is on my wishlist as well. I just love the zip arrangement. A lovely looking hybrid of bike and flight jacket! would you say your size 40 Bootlegger is trimmer fitting than a size 40 Highwayman?

JanSolo said:
Outstanding jacket and great fit. The Bootlegger is on my wishlist as well. I just love the zip arrangement. A lovely looking hybrid of bike and flight jacket! would you say your size 40 Bootlegger is trimmer fitting than a size 40 Highwayman?

Yes..I would..through the body. It's the design or pattern. When zipped it seems the same as the regular HalfBelt...Cossack.etc...that taper more from the chest to the waste along with a smoother appearance,belted back,and zans the bottom waist band of the Highwayman. As far as shoulders and sleeves it seems very similar. The Bootlegger...regular HB..Cossack are still a more forgiving fit than the trimmer '30 style Halfbelt patterns which have an even trimmer body taper and narrower cuffed sleeves.
HD

BTW..I do like the smaller collar of the Bootlegger compared to most traditional style Motorcycle jackets. It seems to allow for a neater appearance..and perhaps even a somewhat dressier look.
HD

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks HD. I just discovered a size 42 Bootlegger on Aero's sales page. It seems to be a brand new unworn jacket and the leather looks beautiful. The lapels have been slightly enlarged on this one but size 42 is way too big for me...:(
Might still be an excellent deal for somebody who was inspired by your great pictures.
Enjoy your jacket!

Jan
Yes I saw that. I'm assuming it is new or never worn..except for maybe try ons since it's on their leather sale page..rather than in the used Aero section. Should make someone a nice jacket. 350 instead of 420. Not a bad discount,either.
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
stupid question

Ok, stupid question here. I am thinking of ordering a highwayman very similar to yours in the second photo. You mentioned Heavy FQHH, does aero have both FQHH and Heavy FQHH, or is it all the same thing?

(at least I warned you that it was dumb question) :D

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Ok, stupid question here. I am thinking of ordering a highwayman very similar to yours in the second photo. You mentioned Heavy FQHH, does aero have both FQHH and Heavy FQHH, or is it all the same thing?

(at least I warned you that it was dumb question) :D

JLStorm, there are NO dumb questions here, just ones already answered in other threads ;)

Since you are focusing on Aero, they offer several types of horsehide:

- front quarter heavy horsehide - which is their heaviest weight, at 5 oz.

- mid-weight horsehide - is a lighter weight, about 3 oz.

- oil-pull horsehide - has a nubuck feel and from the samples I've handled might be a bit lighter than the FQHH, perhaps 4 oz.

- vintage FQHH - this is their FQHH but rolled in their equipment longer, which softens the leather considerably. Aero has said it is made from the same hides as their "regular" FQHH, but some have said their jacket in this hide appeared a bit lighter weight than the "regular" FQHH

- jerky HH - this also is lighter than the regular FQHH, and is very soft in comparison.

(If there are any inaccuracies in my statements above, please correct me.)

Aero sends out samples upon request, and you might want to have a set sent to you before finalizing your order. I know an extra week waiting for them when you are itching to pull the trigger - and know they are way backed up for some 4 months for orders - but that extra week to get just what you want will be the smartest move in the long run.

If you are going to wear the beast for 25 years, what's one more week?

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
JLStorm, there are NO dumb questions here, just ones already answered in other threads ;)

Since you are focusing on Aero, they offer several types of horsehide:

- front quarter heavy horsehide - which is their heaviest weight, at 5 oz.

- mid-weight horsehide - is a lighter weight, about 3 oz.

- oil-pull horsehide - has a nubuck feel and from the samples I've handled might be a bit lighter than the FQHH, perhaps 4 oz.

- vintage FQHH - this is their FQHH but rolled in their equipment longer, which softens the leather considerably. Aero has said it is made from the same hides as their "regular" FQHH, but some have said their jacket in this hide appeared a bit lighter weight than the "regular" FQHH

- jerky HH - this also is lighter than the regular FQHH, and is very soft in comparison.

(If there are any inaccuracies in my statements above, please correct me.)

Aero sends out samples upon request, and you might want to have a set sent to you before finalizing your order. I know an extra week waiting for them when you are itching to pull the trigger - and know they are way backed up for some 4 months for orders - but that extra week to get just what you want will be the smartest move in the long run.

If you are going to wear the beast for 25 years, what's one more week?

I know I want front quarter horse hide, but when I talked to amanda she never mentioned "front quarter heavy horse hide" just "front quarter horse hide" I wanted to make sure that we were talking about the same thing. She had said the weights range from 4 - 4.5 ounces depending on a particular hide.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
I know I want front quarter horse hide, but when I talked to amanda she never mentioned "front quarter heavy horse hide" just "front quarter horse hide" I wanted to make sure that we were talking about the same thing. She had said the weights range from 4 - 4.5 ounces depending on a particular hide.

Understood, they are one and the same. You can request that they pull out the heaviest hide if you want, or the brownest, as hides can vary even amongst the same batch of tanned leather, or even amongst a single hide itself.

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Understood, they are one and the same. You can request that they pull out the heaviest hide if you want, or the brownest, as hides can vary even amongst the same batch of tanned leather, or even amongst a single hide itself.

Ok thanks :)

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
HD - Beautiful jacket, as usual. All of your jackets are awesome. Been admiring them on the VLJ for quite some time and I'm looking forward to my first Aero finally arriving.

Pertaining to asking for samples from Aero, I tried several times to no avail. Each time I asked I was told "Sure no problem Tom" and each time nothing ever came of it. What also bugs me is that I was quoted 8 weeks on my order, which then changed to 12 weeks next time I asked, which is now going on almost 4 months. And no contact to let me know. I guess I've just been spoiled by Langlitz' customer service.

HD - Ride safe buddy.

Tommer

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Indeed, I was inspired by HD's new Boot...

JanSolo said:
Thanks HD. I just discovered a size 42 Bootlegger on Aero's sales page. It seems to be a brand new unworn jacket and the leather looks beautiful. The lapels have been slightly enlarged on this one but size 42 is way too big for me...:(
Might still be an excellent deal for somebody who was inspired by your great pictures.
Enjoy your jacket!

... I took the plunge, given the price reduction, and committed to that sale Bootlegger. I normally take a 44", but I thought it would be worthwhile to look into the measurements; I wrote to Amanda and asked for the details. They were a touch smaller than the measurements of my 44" Bootlegger/1930s slimfit halfbelt hybrid, which is what I was after because my "1930s Boot", while a very good fit, isn't quite as trim as I had hoped it would be. However, the sale Bootlegger (a 42") measured out just about exactly the same as my cafe racer (but longer), which fits me, in every way, to my liking.

I'll give you an update once I have the jacket.

Meanwhile, here are some additional pictures Amanda sent to me (and no, gents, she didn't include any of herself:rolleyes: )
BrownBootfront2.jpg

BrownBootfront.jpg

BrownBootlining.jpg

BrownBootback.jpg

And for comparison, here's the back of my custom Bootlegger/1930s slimfit half belt (the yolked back is very sharp... shame it's not like this on the incoming Boot):
Bootlegger_back.jpg

For those of you in Canada, happy May Long!

Adam

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hi Adam - Great looking Bootlegger! Love the rich brown color of the hide. Hope you will show us some more pics when it arrives.

icecold

One of the Regulars
Man, you look like baad news in this bootlegger. Mine ships next week. I'll post pics. Bootlegger-off!lol :p

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
I'm looking forward to more pics of the Bootlegger. I'm still waiting on my Cheyenne but I'm thinking the Bootlegger may be next. I'd never even considered this jacket until I saw pics from HD and jack miranda. Very nice. Adam and Cooperson, have your jackets arrived?

Out of curiosity does anyone ever wear the Bootlegger zipped up? Maybe while riding? If you've got a pic or two, I'd be interested in seeing how it looks.

I just noticed that the Aero description of the Bootlegger notes that none of the pockets (including the upper pocket) have zippers. Any concern about the upper pocket sagging "open" as the jacket ages?

Comparing the Bootlegger to the Highwayman - I personally prefer the Highwayman back with the curved yoke and without the epaulettes and the false half belt. I wonder if a I could get a hybrid of these two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner