Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Arrival

Brown Hvy FQHH Bootlegger ordered Jan 16. Arrived April 29....fresh out of the box. Pre break-in. Stiff....

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Broken in Highwayman for comparison...

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

HD

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That is one sweet jacket.
I've always liked the cut of the Bootlegger and that color is great!
Have fun breaking it i:D n!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks for the great pics HD. Superb looking jacket and a perfect fit too. Love the look of the broken in Highwayman also, will be interesting to see the Bootlegger after the same process. Congratulations on another great Aero!

It certainly needs some shaping....and 'relaxing' for sure. I plan to get right on that this weekend. Boy..they sure are much more comfortable once broken in. I don't remember my Highwayman being quite this stiff when new...of course different batches of hides can vary.
Thank You
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
Good shot, HD. That color will be on my next Aero. Get it good and supple for the bike, and it will give good protection in the event of a go down. Of course you already know that.

Peacoat said:
Good shot, HD. That color will be on my next Aero. Get it good and supple for the bike, and it will give good protection in the event of a go down. Of course you already know that.

The color certainly is a rich brown. I like it! I've already noticed that it will wear to nice burnished highlights. Seems to have a lighter brown base that should give the HH a antiqued appearance rather quickly. Since the pics..I've spray misted it quite wet a couple of times....shaped the collar...and wore till dry. It is beginning to look much better already. Only a high of 60 tomorrow and rainy..maybe I will get a chance to wear it out in the elements as well.
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
It certainly needs some shaping....and 'relaxing' for sure. I plan to get right on that this weekend. Boy..they sure are much more comfortable once broken in. I don't remember my Highwayman being quite this stiff when new...of course different batches of hides can vary.
Thank You
HD

My brown FQHH highwayman is due in about a month, and I hope it fits as well as your does!

It really fits you well on the front with little excess material - RE: the length, it just covers your belt buckle, is that how you wanted it?

I noticed that on the back behind the arms it doesn't have the excess material that forms behind the shoulder like alot of Aeros. Is that because it is broken in and draping down better? Here is a good photo of my Stockman with the excess material pointing outward behind my shoulder:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_2059.jpg

bobjones said:
My brown FQHH highwayman is due in about a month, and I hope it fits as well as your does!

It really fits you well on the front with little excess material - RE: the length, it just covers your belt buckle, is that how you wanted it?

I noticed that on the back behind the arms it doesn't have the excess material that forms behind the shoulder like alot of Aeros. Is that because it is broken in and draping down better? Here is a good photo of my Stockman with the excess material pointing outward behind my shoulder:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_2059.jpg

Bob
I purchased my Highwayman from Aero's sale page. It was normal body length with 3/4 of an inch added to sleeves. So it wasn't custom made for me...but the price was right. I just wouldn't want a jacket length any shorter.
I think that it did buckle out more when it was new and stiff...however..a stockman may just be made differently..or more roomy since it might be considered more of a coat rather than jacket. It could also be due to sizing. My Highwayman and Bootlegger are size 40s..perhaps the regular larger sizes just have more mass of material no matter how you are built.
My suggestion is...send that pic of you Stockman to Amanda..and ask her if that excess material can be trimmed down somewhat without becoming too tight across the back. Once she sees the fit..I'm sure that she would give you good advice.
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Bob
I purchased my Highwayman from Aero's sale page. It was normal body length with 3/4 of an inch added to sleeves. So it wasn't custom made for me...but the price was right. I just wouldn't want a jacket length any shorter.
I think that it did buckle out more when it was new and stiff...however..a stockman may just be made differently..or more roomy since it might be considered more of a coat rather than jacket. It could also be due to sizing. My Highwayman and Bootlegger are size 40s..perhaps the regular larger sizes just have more mass of material no matter how you are built.
My suggestion is...send that pic of you Stockman to Amanda..and ask her if that excess material can be trimmed down somewhat without becoming too tight across the back. Once she sees the fit..I'm sure that she would give you good advice.
HD

Hi Hoosier. IIRC, you said you were 6-2 or so, and could get away with a 40? Maybe I'd better hit the gym again someday... :eusa_doh:

Will had mentioned that the "big 3" (Veste, Cheyenne, Stockman) were designed to fit over a man's suit jacket and/or large sweater, so that the customer has to decide whether they wanted a slim-Barnstormer like fit, like what JanSolo wanted with his cheyenne, or the standard, oversize fit as is. As an Aero newbie, this is the kind of thing that can easily be missed as I did, even with spending several months reading the posts here carefully and discussing with Aero.

I recently sent some pics of my stockman to Mark, and as a courtesy (since I didn't buy it thru him, but he is always quite helpful) he felt the fit was correct for the stockman style.

I will either have to live with it as is, or sell it and order a 42, if I really want to acquire a slim-fit longer jacket. Not taking any chances this time around, my Hwayman will be a 42, as that is my chest/waist size. But given how my father looks these days I might be better off hanging onto the larger size... :)

Another option would be to get a long HB as an in-between the Stockman and Hwyman, which would be a longer - but very snug fitting jacket as shown here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=745980&postcount=16

I consider this pic to be the optimal fit of a mid-length Aero, and is what I had been looking for initially, though it might be too snug to be able to fit much underneath like a good sweater, and would of course restrict one's movements a bit. Decisions, decisions...

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Great jacket HD and I'm diggin' that collar...! Y'all could be Doc from Steinbecks Cannery Row...all you need is the kitbag fulla marine specimens! Sooo,...that's what my Highwayman will look like after she's worn in a bit? Yesss!! Dandy skins and boy does that Bootlegger ever look like armor. Great way to enjoy poor weather...a stroll with the horse...! J.

bobjones

The great thing about Aero is they will customize a coat..or jacket to your specs...if it doesn't drastically take away from the original pattern of the garment..and often at no cost. So if you take correct measurements...work with Mark,Will,or Amanda it most likely will turn out to your liking. However...sometimes it can be a...give a little..take a little...situation. If you want a trim tailored looking jacket or coat..you probably won't be able to layer as comfortably..or as heavily. With my Highwayman I can wear a T shirt and longsleeve shirt with possibly a light sweater(probably the same with my new Bootlegger as well). Not as comfortably as a larger coat at first...but Aero's HH seams to mold...and stretch somewhat as it breaks in to how you normally wear it. I'm 6'2"..185...but tall and thin enough to wear a size 40 and some not so trim jackets in size 42.
If you want to add a couple inches in jacket length..sleeve length Aero will do it. If you want a coat to be less bulky they will do that as well. They also give good recommendations on how adjustments may change the fit.
I've always been more of a jacket man. To me a Long Halfbelt is...a long jacket...where as a Stockman,etc,is a coat..and meant to be more bulky.
The "key' to any of it is..Good Measurements...taking time..and talking it over with any of the experienced three at Aero.
HD

piranha

New in Town
HD,
How is the stitching on the Bootlegger jacket? I just wanted to know if it's tight or wide and loose looking. Your jacket looks terrific, by the way.
Thanks.

piranha

Not loose..and not widely stitched...but nicely uniform straight stitching. Just measured...seems about eight stitches per inch according to my measurements(and bifocals). Looks professional. I now have(gulp) 11 aero jackets including A2s..B6. On one oil pull HB the stitching in a couple of more hidden areas is slightly crooked..but this Bootlegger is straight as an arrow. I'm glad you asked about that. I really hadn't taken the time yet to check it out that closely.
BTW...I also noticed that Aero has changed the Alcapa lining a little. It is now darker brown than on my Highwayman..and is slightly thicker(heavier). With the new darker..richer FQHH I am very pleased.
Thanks
HD

Doublegun said:
How do you think the Bootlegger collar would look on a Long Half-belt? Placing my order on Monday.

Well..in my view..it would look like a long Bootlegger minus the offset zip with flap pockets. Otherwize.....Novel idea. Crap...now your giving me more ideas!
Go against the grain a little,Doublegun...it would look great!
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner