Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero arrived

blethook

One of the Regulars
I would leave it as is if I were you...

It's a tad too long, but the only one noticing it is probably you...

Besides you can wear gloves & that will make it less pronounced...

If you shorten the sleeves now you might regret it later and be stuck with it.

JLStorm said:
The sleeves are about 1.5" past my wrist bone when extending my arms as described with the jacket zipped.

This is not a photo of my actual hand, but to give you an idea, the sleeves go to the red line:

hand_size.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
blethook said:
I would leave it as is if I were you...

It's a tad too long, but the only one noticing it is probably you...

Besides you can wear gloves & that will make it less pronounced...

If you shorten the sleeves now you might regret it later and be stuck with it.

I talked to Amanda at Aero and she thinks it will be ok too, especially if my shoulders get bigger. She also think that the leather sleeves will wrinkle up after a while like had been mentioned before. So we agreed I'd wear it for the season and if its still to long by the summer I'll talk to her about it then.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
LoNG aRm of the SToRM...

hi Storm...interesting to hear your sleeve length concerns (by the way, supErb jacket!)

i was afraid the sleeves on my Lewis Leathers Dominator would be too long, being zip sleeves for actual motorcycle riding (which i don't do), so when i ordered i asked Lewis to shorten the sleeves a bit...

their answer back was to say they would bring them down 1 centimetre...when i found out that was only about .4 inches, i was worried they'd still be too long...

however, when i got the coat, i see they knew what they were doing...i actually have been wishing i'd left the sleeves the length they were going to be...but luckily i've cowhide and this hide is conforming to my body and stretching as i wear it, so the jacket and the sleeves both seem to have relaxed a bit and conform with wear...the sleeves measured in at about 24 to 24.5" right out of the box, and now seem to be a hair over 25"

on yOUr jacket, you have seemed to reverse what i did...you have a stiFF horse leather that is likely to crinkle up in the arms, rather than stretch, and hence your length is likely to get shorter...definitely wait through the season of wear to see how much before shortening...

aLso, do nOt...nOt nOt nOt have anyone else but aero do the work...

i had an a-2 i purchased that didn't have the inner seam along the windflap sewn, from the top down to the bottom of the jacket...a real easy job i thought, just take it in somewhere...

well, i looked for the best...and i soon found out no one wanted to do it...they all said it's harder than it looks, even a straight seam sewn through two layers of goat leather,nothing pulled apart...

finally i went to one guy who reluctantly said he'd do it...listed in los angeles magazine as the best of L.A., in beverly hills...said he couldn't guarantee it would be as manufactured, but he'd do his best to match thread colour and size, and keep the line straight...he didn't want to do it as he seemed to know this wouldn't be as made on the other seams, but i said to go ahead since he was the only one willing, and judged by everyone i talked to as the best person to do it

he did a noble job, but alas i can tell it wasn't as manufactured...slight thread colour difference, and a bit of deviation from straight on the inside of the flap...nothing horrible, but as he said it would likely be

i can see why gibson and barnes won't work on anything but their own purchased jackets...it's extremely difficult to get it as manufactured

i have no doubt aero can, especially since they made it...however, if you do shorten the sleeves, i doubt anyone bUt aero can make it look as manufactured...

just some thoughts...

think i'll go out now and wear my Dominator, and let natural wear while driving my car stretch those sleeves a hair...have a good holiday weekend :)

As a collector of leather jackets for many years...I'm sorry..but I have never heard of leather sleeves stretching..and getting longer just by wearing them. My experience has always been just the opposite. First time for everything,tho...I suppose.:eusa_doh:
HD

I Simonius

New in Town
JLStorm said:
I
And on a last note, I truly did not understand how stiff and thick the horsehide overlays would be, I expect it will take years for the jacket to wear in properly.

the HH will soften up much faster if you let it get the rain on it.

My HH jackey was so stiff to start it would stand up on its own etc, every time it rained I wore or hung it outside, after about ten wettings it because much more supple, now it is like butter, (very strong butter lol )

I Simonius

New in Town
blethook said:
I think they look long because you haven't got the jacket zipped up. Plus, with wear the leather as it molds to your body is going to get wrinkled a bit, which will make the sleeves ride up a bit..:)

exactly! don't get those sleeves adjusted until you have got the leather well and truly worn in because as it wrinkles it takes up the slack;)

Lear

One of the Regulars
Don't do it yet!

I thought long and hard about the same thing when ordering my FHH Aero jacket.

When I first put it on, I thought that maybe the arms were a little too long. After a few months, the arms have readjusted and taken up any slack.

I would agree with others and NOT have it looked at just yet. Wait until you've given it a thorough beating, dragged it through mud, slush, dirt, desert sand...

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks for all of the input on the sleeves everyone. I'll definitely hold off on anything, and if I do need any work done, it will definitely be going back to Aero.

The last few days its been in the upper 30's and too warm to wear the jacket, but Im sure the weather will get back to normal soon and I'll break it in more.

I am a bit afraid of getting that shearling all wet or dirty...I guess I'll have to get over that fear.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
I really like the Jacket and collar, I know you had it redone, but How did you go about merging the jackets and getting it the way you wanted? thanks

Edward

Bartender
Cracking jacket. There are half a dozen Aero's I'd order had I the money sitting... alas.... (still got half a mind for a black, shearling-lined Highwayman, you know, for those Winter days when I want to wear a sheepskin, but I want to go black rather than one of my brown jackets..... ;) ). Pockets are nicely done - look like B6 handwarmer pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner