Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero arrived

JLStorm

Practically Family
This is my new Aero B3 / ANJ-4 Hybrid with many custom features including extra horsehide overlays, enlarged collar, enlarged windflap, and arm holes cut extra wide.

As you can see the sleeves are a tiny bit long, this is due to the fact that I had
the shoulders cut wider. Im coming out of an 18 month injury, but once I start
weightlifting again, I expect my shoulders to fill back out to their usual size which will take up some
of the free space in the shoulder. Other than that the jacket fits perfectly, they even made the
extra wide sleeves to accommodate my arms perfectly :) Im really happy with the jacket.

The horsehide overlays are going to take quite a while to break in and get nice and comfortable, but they feel like Im wearing armor...definitely tough as nails.

img069.jpg

img067.jpg

img071.jpg

Copyofimg083.jpg

Copyofimg084.jpg

img081.jpg

img082.jpg

img078.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
I surely hope I wont get cold!

My wife took a look at it with the collar up and said I look like snow white! What does she know about jackets anyway. :rolleyes:

snow_white.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
You will need that fleece this winter. Let us know how well it works when it gets cold up there. I am thinking about one for myself.

Will do. Im hoping this will be as warm as my other B3 replica. I have a very cheap B3 with very thick hide, but short fleeze, still it was always warm. Right now my warmest coat is my extreme cold weather N-3B, but Im hoping this will rival it for warmth, the hide feels thinner and more flexible, but the the fleece is much longer and thicker.

I must say that I absolutely love the honey color of the fleece in this jacket and the fur feel that it has, definitely much better than the white curly fleece in my other b3 IMO.

scottmcl

New in Town
What's with the pockets though?

On my shearling jacket the pockets themselves are also made of shearling, with very soft hide on the inside. They of course are separate from the rest of the jacket.

Was this an option when you bought your jacket?

JLStorm

Practically Family
scottmcl said:
What's with the pockets though?

On my shearling jacket the pockets themselves are also made of shearling, with very soft hide on the inside. They of course are separate from the rest of the jacket.

Was this an option when you bought your jacket?

No this is how Aero makes the pockets which I LOVE. I have pockets like you describe in my other B3 and I simplly cannot stand them, its my biggest pet peeve about the jacket. They are too thick, you cant fit enough in them and when the jacket is open they just stick out like last minute additions that dont fit the jacket.

Its funny you mention the pockets, because if Aero wouldnt have made the pockets like I wanted I would have not purchased a jacket from them, lucky Aero will do just about anything your willing to pay for from what I found.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I like the pockets

Nice jacket, first of all! In particular I like the slashed pockets which are like those found on the B-6 jacket. Very practical!

The jacket ought to keep you warm (from waist up). However, In real winter (like in Russia, for example), you'd need a warm jacket that covers your body from top to bottom (knee up).

So perhaps you need to get the sheepskin pants to go with the jacket? :D

JLStorm

Practically Family
blethook said:
Nice jacket, first of all! In particular I like the slashed pockets which are like those found on the B-6 jacket. Very practical!

The jacket ought to keep you warm (from waist up). However, In real winter (like in Russia, for example), you'd need a warm jacket that covers your body from top to bottom (knee up).

So perhaps you need to get the sheepskin pants to go with the jacket? :D

I could never walk on those pants. I usually wear long thermal underwear that keeps me quite warm, they are very comfortable and much easier to wash than sheepskin pants!

On another note, I wore the jacket for the first time today the temperature 23 F, but feels like 13 F with the windchill and humidity. I wore a long sleeve t-shirt and didnt even need to zip up the jacket. It is EXTREMELY warm...warmer than my otehr B3 for sure.

On a down note, I think I have determined that the sleeves are too long and may need to be sent back to aero for shortening, but I will probably wear the jacket through the winter before doing this. If its going to cost a lot in shipping, I may have someone in the states do this. I will have to see.

And on a last note, I truly did not understand how stiff and thick the horsehide overlays would be, I expect it will take years for the jacket to wear in properly. The nice thing about this, is I dont have to reserve this jacket for certain occasions because I am afraid of it getting damaged...I cannot imagine much that could actually damage it lol, this was a major concern when ordering the jacket...but I can relax knowing that it could probably stop a bullet..seriously.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Ok, that jacket looks amazing!

I don't really care for the oversized collar but that's me.

As far as the sleeves being too long, can't you just roll the cuffs up once? I have a B-3 that I've had for about 20 years and that's what I did with mine.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Daniel Hunter said:
Ok, that jacket looks amazing!

I don't really care for the oversized collar but that's me.

As far as the sleeves being too long, can't you just roll the cuffs up once? I have a B-3 that I've had for about 20 years and that's what I did with mine.

I could roll them up, but I had the ANJ-4 cuffs put at the bottom instead of the traditional shearling, and Id really like to keep it that way.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't worry about those sleeves

I think they look long because you haven't got the jacket zipped up. Plus, with wear the leather as it molds to your body is going to get wrinkled a bit, which will make the sleeves ride up a bit..:)

Erik

One of the Regulars
That's a great looking, and surely very warm, jacket that you have there. Congratulations on your purchase.

JLStorm

Practically Family
blethook said:
I think they look long because you haven't got the jacket zipped up. Plus, with wear the leather as it molds to your body is going to get wrinkled a bit, which will make the sleeves ride up a bit..:)

Thats one of fhe reasons Im thinking of just wearing it for the season then seeing how it fits, but honestly, I think it will take YEARS before the sleeves break in...they are fully overlayed in horsehide, the cuff is also overlayed in horsehide. It makes for one stiff sleeve.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Try extending your arms like when you're driving, holding the steering wheel with your arms straight.

Likely jour jacket cuff will line up with your wrist bone (don't forget to zip up the jacket). If so, then the jacket sleeves are not too long...

You're worrying too much...just enjoy the jacket (& post better pics of the jacket) lol

JLStorm

Practically Family
blethook said:
Try extending your arms like when you're driving, holding the steering wheel with your arms straight.

Likely jour jacket cuff will line up with your wrist bone (don't forget to zip up the jacket). If so, then the jacket sleeves are not too long...

You're worrying too much...just enjoy the jacket (& post better pics of the jacket) lol

The sleeves are about 1.5" past my wrist bone when extending my arms as described with the jacket zipped.

This is not a photo of my actual hand, but to give you an idea, the sleeves go to the red line:

hand_size.jpg

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
That's a beauty of a jacket. Must weigh about what, 7 or 8 pounds? Maybe more? I know you put a lot of thought into it.

The size of the collar is a bit much for my taste, but that thing looks like it will last a couple of lifetimes, at least. Do you have any family members who have already laid claim to it? That's definitely an heirloom-quality jacket.

I guess the only real drawback is that it's probably just too warm for anything less than really cold conditions. It ain't much good for spring or fall conditions unless you're sitting outside doing nothing.

You'll never see anybody with one like it, and just think... it'll only take a few years to break-in!

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
That's a beauty of a jacket. Must weigh about what, 7 or 8 pounds? Maybe more? I know you put a lot of thought into it.

The size of the collar is a bit much for my taste, but that thing looks like it will last a couple of lifetimes, at least. Do you have any family members who have already laid claim to it? That's definitely an heirloom-quality jacket.

I guess the only real drawback is that it's probably just too warm for anything less than really cold conditions. It ain't much good for spring or fall conditions unless you're sitting outside doing nothing.

You'll never see anybody with one like it, and just think... it'll only take a few years to break-in!

Its definitely too warm for anything above 30 F, but thats not a problem around where I live (Back Mountain) for much of the winter. If this jacket does start to show much wear, I'll just have the rest of it overlayed in horsehide, but that would make it a bit hard to sit down in. The only thing I would have done differently is had a heavier duty zipper put on and Im still on the fence over whether I should have had the entire thing overlayed. Its shipping weight was 7.7 pounds, but it definitely feels heavier than that to me.

I find that Im thinking of excuses to go out during these bitter cold days just to wear it lol. I swear that everytime I wear it, it becomes more comfortable.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean about being too warm. I live in Southern California and bought a B3 about twenty years ago, a Flight Suits version (G&B) which I don't think they make any more. I've probably worn the thing about a dozen times because I rarely travel anywhere that it's cold enough to need such a heavy jacket.

I pulled it out of the hall closet a couple of evenings ago to try on and it still fits. The fit must be very over sized because I currently wear a size 44 in everything else but the B3 is a 40 and fits just fine.....interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic