Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Elvis fqhh

obwohl

New in Town
Hello,

My new Elvis arrived and it's a stunning jacket. Perfect fit and great leather. Because it's my first serious leather jacket, I've one question: on the right sleeve the lower Part which Faces down the leather is quite different compared to the rest. It's like being already "broken in" with lots of wrinkles and the shine is different, too. Is this from the transport? Is this normal?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Pics would help, though I would always advise with Aero, get in touch with them, as they will be the ones who can tell you best what's what.

obwohl

New in Town
IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

The one with lots of wrinkles is from the right sleeve, the other from the left sleeve.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I've noticed similar mismatching to a pair of jackets I've owned. Some parts are more grainy than others. As soon as the rest of the jacket starts breaking in the difference will fade. Adds character but you can always contact Aero if in doubt. enjoy your new beast!

obwohl

New in Town
I've noticed similar mismatching to a pair of jackets I've owned. Some parts are more grainy than others. As soon as the rest of the jacket starts breaking in the difference will fade. Adds character but you can always contact Aero if in doubt. enjoy your new beast!
Perfect! When the differences disappear I won't have any problems with this kind of look.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, what can happen is that, in the making, all the pieces start off looking similar on account of the tanning process. As they are sewn together they are handled and manipulated, bringing through the natural grain and character of the leather. At the end of the process, the whole thing has to be turned inside out, which of course means the sleeve leather gets a good working over. Personally, I'd just wear it, forget it and let the whole thing relax and wear in.

This is perfectly and absolutely normal! Leather is not a man made product, the hides used in the construction of a leather jackets do vary and while makers do the best they can to have the hides for the panels match, they also have to use hides from a single batch without just picking out the cleanest parts. Plus what Sloan said; The variation in the hide is not always apparent and you simply cannot know what the jacket will look like in the long run. Some parts will start showing grain and wrinkles during the making of the jacket and others will remain perfectly smooth even after months or years of wear. I have a jacket that looked perfectly clean and smooth when new and now the sleeves, for example, could hardly be any different.

So don't give it another thought, no need to get in touch with Aero or anyone because all is good. Also, keep in mind that there's a chance your jacket will forever remain like that, with one sleeve different than the other. But that's leather for you and that's why we love it. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Couldn't put it better. The more you wear it, the more it will take on the character of your lifestyle: you'll get dings on the cuffs, creases from the way you swing your arms or the day you sat on a wet bench for two hours (!), and shading variation from carrying bags over your shoulders. All of this will make it your jacket and nobody else's!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In addition to the above comments, I've noticed that, with my LHB, the large piece of HH that forms the central back panel displays different textures and a different pattern of lines at the two opposite ends, to the point that they look like they were taken from different hides. I've always just said to myself that it's a natural material and has natural differences. That's what makes it more interesting than a "butter-soft" mall jacket that shows no differences at all.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't put it better. The more you wear it, the more it will take on the character of your lifestyle: you'll get dings on the cuffs, creases from the way you swing your arms or the day you sat on a wet bench for two hours (!), and shading variation from carrying bags over your shoulders. All of this will make it your jacket and nobody else's!
perfectly said!!

Edward

Bartender
THe crowd have covered this well. Bottom line: leather is organic, it will vary a bit, but with time, you'll wear it to yourself. I tend to find that the left arm on all my jackets creases faster than the right: I'm left handed. If you're not one of those of us blssed to be a southpaw, you'll probably find the opposite.

Definitely, though, put up some pictures! The Aero Elvis is an unusual variation on a traditional D-pocket. I believe it's based on one he owned later in his life (Elvis had a lot of leathers, and rode motorcycles up til the end), rather than the Buco he wore around 56.

obwohl

New in Town
IMG_5045.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg

Fit pics will come the next days. For now I can say, it's a beast of leather, standing by itself. But not uncomfortable to wear at all. Only having some issues with the zippers of the pockets which are scratching my handy quite a bit. And the main zipper is still a bit unruly but I'm becoming better :)

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
View attachment 58505 View attachment 58506
Fit pics will come the next days. For now I can say, it's a beast of leather, standing by itself. But not uncomfortable to wear at all. Only having some issues with the zippers of the pockets which are scratching my handy quite a bit. And the main zipper is still a bit unruly but I'm becoming better :)

Run paraffin wax up and down the zippers they will slide much better once you complete this. BTW Pariffin wax can be purchased at just about any grocery store. I have small stick I keep just for this purpose. You will get a lot of flaking of the paraffin while sliding up and down both sides of the zip but it just brushes right off.

Oh and one more thing, that is a gorgeous jacket!!!

Edward

Bartender
As a follow-up, since I posted this, I've gone back and looked at this model on the Aero webite, and they've added a photo of Elvis from circa 1956 on his Harley:

3094e2ac2a705e2b_ElvisLge.jpg

This is much clearer a photo than any of the images from this shoot that I've ever seen before: what I'd assumed to be a standard Buco d-pocket (as reproed by Aero J106 model) actually has a few different details. So this version is the authentic Hound Dog Elvis, rather than Vegas era. Now I want one even more..... :D

THe crowd have covered this well. Bottom line: leather is organic, it will vary a bit, but with time, you'll wear it to yourself. I tend to find that the left arm on all my jackets creases faster than the right: I'm left handed. If you're not one of those of us blssed to be a southpaw, you'll probably find the opposite.

Definitely, though, put up some pictures! The Aero Elvis is an unusual variation on a traditional D-pocket. I believe it's based on one he owned later in his life (Elvis had a lot of leathers, and rode motorcycles up til the end), rather than the Buco he wore around 56.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR