Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Hercules w/LHB bi-swing back

bbq

Familiar Face
I'm from the rocky coast of Maine myself, with a little detour currently thanks to the USN. I think the tartan is a great choice for your jacket. It's always jacket season on the coast of Maine, and the alpaca might have been too warm 8-9 months a year. The whole product looks great. Well done.
Good to hear from a Mainer. Thanks for reminding me that I'll have more use out of the tartan. I'm looking forward to it.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
This is my first new leather jacket in over 40 years and it’s a winner. So to start, I would like to pass along my thanks to everyone who posted comments and pictures on FL. You made my search and decision a lot easier. I appreciate. Also, thanks to Carrie at Thurston/Insurrection. Her help and patience and the fit jacket process made size and measurements less of a mystery. If you’re in the USA, I recommend ordering this way.

I liked the front of the Hercules (even the unusual pockets) and the bi-swing back of the LHB. When I found that they could be combined into one jacket, my decision was made. I asked for darker brown heavy CXL FQHH and that’s what I got. The color is very dark: exactly what I wanted and the hides are beautifully matched. Julie Leitch’s workmanship is excellent. I was a leather worker in the early ‘70s and know how much skill she has to get beautiful results from this tough, heavy leather. And the leather smells as good at it looks.

The lining is Strome (heavy) tartan for warmth (Stewart Black Modern). I live on the coast of Maine and it is cold and windy much of the year. I walked my dog wearing the jacket with a medium weight wool sweater when it was a windy 15 degrees F (approx -9.5 C). After 20 minutes I was cold. Probably should have gone with the alpaca, but the tartan looks so much better. I am hoping I can wear a heavy sweater after the jacket breaks in. It’s starting to soften up now. (I wear it indoors.) I’m surprised how quickly that happened.

Other specs are:

Size: 42
Zippers: Shiny brass. Ball and chain for exterior and interior pockets.
Storm cuffs
Sleeve length: 26.75 inches
Body length: 29.5 inches

And the pics:
The first one with our dog, Fred. It was 0 degrees F (-17.8 C) that day with a nice bright sun. I was perfectly warm with a medium wool sweater.

View attachment 24869
View attachment 24870
View attachment 24871
View attachment 24872
View attachment 24873
View attachment 24874
View attachment 24875

This one is from the Thurston/Insurrection tread. It really shows the colors of the leather and tartan, so I asked Carrie if I could use it.
View attachment 24879

The jacket, cut, color, and finish looks amazing. Great job! I think it suits you well. I can't wait to see the photos after the "break in" period. Just curious, how long did it take to get your jacket? From order submission (not fit jacket portion) until delivery? Was it 4, 5, 6 weeks, or longer?

bbq

Familiar Face
Thanks tnjyoung. I finalized my order on 1/2/15 and got an email from Carrie that it had arrived on 2/1. It took a little more than one week for UPS to get it across country. So, I got mine very fast. I think mine was one of the first to arrive from that Thurston allocation. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
bbq:

A new Aero jacket is truly a treat! Especially one which graces you so well. Welcome aboard you Mainiac; one jacket is never enough.

Now, if I could only find my daysailer; I believe I left it in Bar Harbor. Maine is truly a beautiful state. Saw my first bull moose (up close, as it peeked in my office window), had the pleasure of picking potatoes, and sat slack jawed under the aurora borealis. For several years in the mid 1980s, I was stationed at Loring AFB.

Last edited:

bbq

Familiar Face
bbq:

A new Aero jacket is truly a treat! Especially one which graces you so well. Welcome aboard you Mainiac; one jacket is never enough.

Now, if I could only find my daysailer; I believe I left it in Bar Harbor. Maine is truly a beautiful state. Saw my first bull moose (up close, as it peeked in my office window), had the pleasure of picking potatoes, and sat slack jawed under the aurora borealis. For several years in the mid 1980s, I was stationed at Loring AFB.

Thanks for the kind words about the jacket and my state. You were stationed in one of the most beautiful areas. Most who visit us never get out to see moose or auroras. As you know, you got to give the moose as much room as they see fit. I'm always amazes me how big they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats