Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Hercules w/LHB bi-swing back

bbq

Familiar Face
This is my first new leather jacket in over 40 years and it’s a winner. So to start, I would like to pass along my thanks to everyone who posted comments and pictures on FL. You made my search and decision a lot easier. I appreciate. Also, thanks to Carrie at Thurston/Insurrection. Her help and patience and the fit jacket process made size and measurements less of a mystery. If you’re in the USA, I recommend ordering this way.

I liked the front of the Hercules (even the unusual pockets) and the bi-swing back of the LHB. When I found that they could be combined into one jacket, my decision was made. I asked for darker brown heavy CXL FQHH and that’s what I got. The color is very dark: exactly what I wanted and the hides are beautifully matched. Julie Leitch’s workmanship is excellent. I was a leather worker in the early ‘70s and know how much skill she has to get beautiful results from this tough, heavy leather. And the leather smells as good at it looks.

The lining is Strome (heavy) tartan for warmth (Stewart Black Modern). I live on the coast of Maine and it is cold and windy much of the year. I walked my dog wearing the jacket with a medium weight wool sweater when it was a windy 15 degrees F (approx -9.5 C). After 20 minutes I was cold. Probably should have gone with the alpaca, but the tartan looks so much better. I am hoping I can wear a heavy sweater after the jacket breaks in. It’s starting to soften up now. (I wear it indoors.) I’m surprised how quickly that happened.

Other specs are:

Size: 42
Zippers: Shiny brass. Ball and chain for exterior and interior pockets.
Storm cuffs
Sleeve length: 26.75 inches
Body length: 29.5 inches

And the pics:
The first one with our dog, Fred. It was 0 degrees F (-17.8 C) that day with a nice bright sun. I was perfectly warm with a medium wool sweater.

Outside w-Fred YES.JPG
Zipped w-face.JPG
Unzipped wo-face.JPG
Back w-head.JPG
Closed on table.JPG
Back on table 1.JPG
Open on table.JPG

This one is from the Thurston/Insurrection tread. It really shows the colors of the leather and tartan, so I asked Carrie if I could use it.
900x900px-LL-aa1ac0eb_AeroHerculesbrownCXLFQHH.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Kinda looks like HoosierDaddy's brother...the happy smiley brother!

This newbie is much better looking than HD. :D Looks like a great jacket with ideal fit. I can see the snow in the background illustrating your severe winter that is nowhere close to being over.

bbq

Familiar Face
This newbie is much better looking than HD. :D Looks like a great jacket with ideal fit. I can see the snow in the background illustrating your severe winter that is nowhere close to being over.

Thanks guys. I'm retired. What's not to smile about?

Yes Fanch, this has been a long one. We had 2 more small storms after that photo.

pawineguy

One Too Many
As everyone has said, you really nailed it, well done. I especially like the tartan in this jacket, and the nice dark brown hide. As you've noted, many of us think that breaking in a HH jacket is sometimes exaggerated, although there is certainly variation between jackets. Wear it in good health.

Navydivedoc

One of the Regulars
I'm from the rocky coast of Maine myself, with a little detour currently thanks to the USN. I think the tartan is a great choice for your jacket. It's always jacket season on the coast of Maine, and the alpaca might have been too warm 8-9 months a year. The whole product looks great. Well done.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Wonderful jacket and it appears that the fit is excellent. Congrats and enjoy! Are you making plans for the next one? Just one is not enough you know!

bbq

Familiar Face
Thanks for the compliments on the fit Fanch. I read a lot of your posts and tried to learn how to get that right.

Absolutely beautiful jacket with all the right details. Angled chest pocket, full action back, side buckles... Everything's just perfect and I love it!

Is that a Borzoi? Great dogs, fast as lightning! My next door neighbor had one... I could never get over how thin it was, though. :D

bbq

Familiar Face
As everyone has said, you really nailed it, well done. I especially like the tartan in this jacket, and the nice dark brown hide. As you've noted, many of us think that breaking in a HH jacket is sometimes exaggerated, although there is certainly variation between jackets. Wear it in good health.
Thanks for the compliments pawineguy. I read many of your posts and reviews. Learned a lot from them. Breaking in: it will take time, but much easier than I thought after reading some of the posts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket - the Hercules has got a lot of style to it. Love Fred's red coat, too. Perhaps Aero should consider a move into FQHH dog jackets...

bbq

Familiar Face
Absolutely beautiful jacket with all the right details. Angled chest pocket, full action back, side buckles... Everything's just perfect and I love it!

Is that a Borzoi? Great dogs, fast as lightning! My next door neighbor had one... I could never get over how thin it was, though. :D

Thanks Monitor. I'm feeling good about it too. My dog is a greyhound. Very fast like a Borzoi. He was a racing dog in Florida and did pretty well. This is his 2nd Maine winter so he likes his jacket too.

bbq

Familiar Face
Great looking jacket - the Hercules has got a lot of style to it. Love Fred's red coat, too. Perhaps Aero should consider a move into FQHH dog jackets...

Thanks Sloan. I've read many of your posts and they were very helpful. Especially the ones on your LHB. I'm looking forward to the day that mine folds up like yours.

I like the dog jacket idea. I hope Aero is listening in. They will have a customer. In the meantime, I'll pass you compliment on to Fred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR