Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Irvin Pre-war - I love it!

Edward

Bartender
To my inexpert eye, they really seem to have gotten it right now... especially the arms, which is where the older pattern was lacking.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Having had the pleasure of a Aero Irvin once, I can only say yours looks so much better than the one I once had. The fleece is damn nice (I had to treat mine with hot water twice to get that look) so does the fit. Using a lighter fleece makes it less bulky and much easier to wear. I realized that when I first tried on an original and later bought my Aces High Irvin. Jon also uses much lighter sheepskins. Congrats with a great looking Irvin. You are going to love it - for many, many years.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Griff..this coming winter I will go to theThule airbase Greenland-to play jazz with my band. And my Irvin jacket will be my best companion, to protect me from the arctic cold up there. The summertime in the scandinavian countries are usually not something to write home about, but then we have the long cold wintertime ahead of us...the genuine Irvin season. This we always can look forward to, with some confidence :O) Just some thoughts, facing yet another hot 37 degrees celcius day in Ji nan China

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Ken: Skoal bandits lol thats a name I had forgotten :D

Spitfire: Yeah I also noticed the fleece looks better now.

Alsendk: Wow thats a nice place! (googled it) Yeah the summers are wierd. Yesterday it was so hot it was uncomfy because of the high humidity, then it started raining and the raindrops were bucket sized and icecold so we were standing at the beach almost naked and froze lol. Today it was hot again, and the warmth makes you sweat imediatly! I have grown to like the weather in the fall and spring the most!!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The old ironed, teddybear fleece was hella warm but I think a bit limiting in the amount of wear you'd get out of it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah Spitfire I know how it looked. I have been looking to buy an Irvin for many many years :) Yours did get to look extremely better!!

D

Deleted member 16736

Griff..this coming winter I will go to theThule airbase Greenland-to play jazz with my band. And my Irvin jacket will be my best companion, to protect me from the arctic cold up there. The summertime in the scandinavian countries are usually not something to write home about, but then we have the long cold wintertime ahead of us...the genuine Irvin season. This we always can look forward to, with some confidence :O) Just some thoughts, facing yet another hot 37 degrees celcius day in Ji nan China

Do you play swing too? Plenty of swing dancing in Scandinavia and there's always a need for a good dance band.

You guys have Scandinavian women to stay warm in the winter.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
You'll get a lot of use out of that in Norway Griff.

I bought an ELC Irvin back in 2007 when we were last living in Norway, in Trondheim and I literally lived in the thing over winter.

Fit looks absolutely bang-on, and those new Aero Irvins are so much better than the old ones.

Hi Smithy,

I see you are in Oz, do you get much use out of your Irvin these days?
I bought an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin a few years ago but barely had it on in the 2 years I had it, partly because it wasn cold enough and mostly because of the bulk. I sold it earlier this year to a chap in China but I still yearn for a wearable Irvin. Im in Ballarat, Victoria so we get pretty cold in the winter (daytime temps arounf 10 deg) but I'm wondering if I would get the use out of one less bulky than the AL jacket?

regards

Garry

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Smithy,

I see you are in Oz, do you get much use out of your Irvin these days?
I bought an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin a few years ago but barely had it on in the 2 years I had it, partly because it wasn cold enough and mostly because of the bulk. I sold it earlier this year to a chap in China but I still yearn for a wearable Irvin. Im in Ballarat, Victoria so we get pretty cold in the winter (daytime temps arounf 10 deg) but I'm wondering if I would get the use out of one less bulky than the AL jacket?

regards

Garry

G'day Garry,

As you saw I bought my ELC Irvin when I last lived in Norway where it got PLENTY of use. TBH an Irvin really isn't suited to the Aussie climate, even down in the south east. I've worn it a few times out in the garden in the evenings on the chillier nights and used it during the day perhaps 3 times in the 5 and a half years we've lived here. We're moving back to Norway later this year so it'll be properly earning its keep again shortly ;)

Probably a better bet for you would be a B-6 or D-1, still sheepskin but not as toasty as the old Irvins. Irvins are one of the more "extreme" sheepskin flight jackets for warmth and are really better suited to temps of 5 Celsius and below, and ideally sub-zero stuff.

Cheers,

Tim

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Will you go back to Norway for good Smithy? It will be quite a change, climate wise.

Hi Alan, yes we are moving back to Norway for good. I've lived there twice before so the climate won't be a shock, in fact I actually miss it, I'm much more a winter person anyway and TBH summer here is a bit too much for me. Plus plenty of opportunity to wear good flying jackets!

Regarding hot weather and Irvins...:D

Helps flying at altitude Søren ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24