Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Route 66

Mark P

Familiar Face
I thought you might like to see this, new out of the box. It's front quarter horsehide in Aero's standard brown. It has a brown cotton lining. Aero were very kind to alter the windflap from a rather large width of 2.5 inches to the 3/4 inch you see now.

The leather is more reddish than I was expecting (in a good way), and slightly mottled.

Any tips out there on ageing it quickly? I was going to soak it in cold water then wear it damp to hasten creasing. Then perhaps some light abrasion and application of some dirt?

Photos are my first attempt - please let me know if they don't work.

Mark_P_1977

Mark_P_1977

Burnsie

Beautiful jacket - congratulations and thanks for sharing! I've found my Aero loves to be worn in heavy rain but I'd skip the abrasions and dirt - they'll happen naturally soon enough! Wear it hard!

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I agree with Burnsie. I wear my Aero's in the rain to help soften them up and bring out the grain, but I don't artificially distress it.

I have a black Highwayman and a brown Long Half Belt in FQHH. The brown distresses naturally much faster than the black.

Plus, I don't think I could bring myself to intentionally damage an 800 dollar jacket. Natural wear and tear is just that -- and nothing can duplicate it. Intentional distressing looks like it was intentional unless you're REAL careful, and there's no going back if you overdo it.

So that's my 50 cents worth of free advice.

rjbaal

New in Town
Wow, that's a seriously nice jacket. I have a new Cossack and that one is making me think I ordered the wrong jacket. Personally, i would break it in naturally with good hard wear.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
das ist gut!

great jacket...

this is quite a bit what i ordered from aero to be my modern version of a ww2 luftwaffe jacket...in brown horse as well...

only differences are that there are two top slit pockets/zippered going horizontal (a la classic hartmann style); no straps around the wrists; no top leather neck closure; no biswings in the back (just a 1-piece back); and not with the second piece along the bottom as yours has

Sie haben guten Geschmack

der johnnyjohnny

Rufus

Practically Family
Deadly jacket Mark!

Love the straps on the arms,Throat latch and the bi-swing back(a detail I want on my next aero!)

Oh...jacket jealousy is a terrible thing... sigh!

Enjoy!

Oh..rain...best way of breaking that baby in...wear it when it's wet, and it'll mold to you real quick!

Ruf

ins0ma

New in Town
What an awesome jacket! You sure won't have to worry about ever bumping into anyone wearing the same jacket as you with that baby. I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my first Aero jacket, a black Highwayman, but I agonized over whether to get it in brown or black. The browns and cordovans are stunning, but the black is a classic. To me, black goes with everything, and works in all the occasions I'm likely to run into. I also wonder about shoes, insofar as I might feel a little odd wearing black shoes with a brown jacket. But DAMN that brown horsehide looks amazing and has so much character that I already find myself considering buying a second Aero someday, before I even have the first one in my hands!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero jacket break in

Nice jacket Mark
Aero was my first lather jacket purchase seems like a long time ago. Presently I have 6 or 7 Aeros and trade away about that many. They all been ebay purchases or used from the Aero except my custom bootlegger in brown fqhh. My advice is wear the jacket walking, driving, will doing chore;s sweat in it and you will be rewarded. Rain will not brother it but hh will soak through if wore in the rain all day.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
The Bomb!

:eusa_clap That Jacket looks great. Perfect look and fit. Enjoy, I got an Aero for Christmas and love it. I love it so much I ordered another one on May 15th I just hope I get it before they go on summer vacation.

Nice choice and cool jacket.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Mark-

I'm very interested in purchasing a Route 66, but I have a few questions.

First, I'm concerned that the sleeve strap will get caught on door knobs and the like. Have you had any problems with this?

Second, I've read (on the Aero site) that the R'66 is slimmer than the standard Highwayman/Halfbelt, etc. I asked Mark Moye about this, but he didn't have any information about this. Can you compare the two?

BTW, congratulations regarding your instant aging. Your jacket looks fantastic.

Thanks,

Mark P

Familiar Face
Rebel Moment

Hi Gimmesomeshelte,

I've had no 'Rebel without a Cause' moments with this jacket. On the sizing, it is marked as a 38 inch size. Actual measurements are:

Armpit to armpit 23 inches
Sleeve 24.5
Waist Across 19 (seemed a little tight to me when new)
Length of back 25

Lancaster

Familiar Face
Hi Mark,

This is a classic jacket and I don't know why I've been overlooking it. I have 4 Aeros and while they're all great there's something I'd change about each. Having owned this for awhile, is there anything you'd change about it?

Thanks,

Cliff

CBI

One Too Many
Great jacket!!!!!

An Aero Long Half Belt is on my short, short list.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I think the bi-swing back is a must on a heavy HH jacket like this. I wish Aero included a bi-swing on their Windward, mine is a nice snug fit and a bit of movement there would help no end.
Congratulations Mark you've got a fantastic bit of kit and as far as breaking it in goes I'd just wear it for as long and as often and possible, in no time at all it'll be looking even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy