Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Zip Sleeve Bootlegger

Really nice jacket, i love the color and the leather does indeed look superb.
Fit seems perfect and the style really fits you very good.
Don´t you just love the zipsleeves? I enjoy mine everytime I wear it, and it does really help
to snug it up if it is windy and it also works to open it up if its a little warmer, the air gets in and cools the arm down some.
I dont remember if you have any other Aero zipsleeve-jacket, but I recommend using it zipped up completely until break-in
then you will get nicer creases (IMHO)

Good idea Griff..!
Will do!
HD

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Chi-town
I am also partial to the Highwayman. It is just a comfortable style to wear(after a good break-in). I more often grab it rather than my HalfBelts while heading out the door. I've purchased many of my Aeros off of the sale page over the years..and luckily found some unique specimens along the way. I think Ken Calder used to list some just to bait me...seriously!
Well..some are broken in more than others. That's how it goes. There are always favorites in fit and style..then you trim the herd.:eusa_doh::D
HD

Thanks HD.. is your Enfield still your favorite?

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
You must be on the (far) Southside because here on the Northside it's been plenty chilly - my Aeros have gotten lots of use!

I'm Southside but not far.. my Highwayman has gotten plenty of use this winter but once the weather gets over 60, it's a bit too warm for me.

Thanks HD.. is your Enfield still your favorite?

That's a tough one Chi-Town...
My 'Enfield' seems constructed for 'easy wear'...especially on the motorcycle. The jacket has quite a heft to it..but the steer on mine is much more 'relaxed' compared especially to a new Aero FQHH...but yet has a nice grainy crisp oldschool finish to the leather. An exceptional jacket in my estimation.

IMG_0312.jpg

...and I think fits me pretty well....
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

However...Aero's regular hvy brown FQHH is just so unique. The way it is tanned..processed and finished is something to appreciate for many. As it breaks in...it offers up more antiqued charactor..burnished undercoat highlights..and marbled grain. My Highwayman is pretty well broken in and comfortable to wear..like a used baseball glove..or comfy leather house slipper. I think when the new Bootlegger reaches that same degree of comfort...it may become my all time favorite. Although a utility jacket...it has it's own style. Perhaps a few dressier or sportier features than the Highwayman..or even the Halfbelt.
HD

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Superb Bootlegger HD, the longer body length looks absolutely perfect on you. Aero's brown FQHH is such a great hide - would love to see it again when it's broken in. Wear it in good health!

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
HD, that thing is a beaut! I never even considered a slant zip jacket but I can definitely see myself wearing that with pride. You really nailed the fit. Btw thanks for the Stuart recommendation. I am already planning my second aero (boy these things are addactive!)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
HD, you're killing me here! I'm trying to cut back on the jackets, and now you show my perfect bootlegger! I have been on the fence with the bootlegger for a while. but I think I will need to try one some day. How do you like the way it looks unzipped? Can you show a pic of it zipped all the way up under the collar? How is the thickness of the Horsehide (my Cafe Racer should be done soon and I asked for the thickest stuff they have).

Thanks, and congratulations on another fine jacket!

Thanks jimmer_5
Well...I like it unzipped and will probably wear it that way most of the time. I'm used to wearing motorcycle jackets of similar design...so nothing new for me. It will be pretty warm zipped all the way since it adds leather behind the zipper and the lapel actually buttons over under the collar at the top. I'll try and snap a pic zipped all the way...if and when it quits raining here in Indiana again. The FQHH is quite thick as is normally the case with Aero's regular HH. It is going to take me a while to break this new one in..but it may very well turn out to be my favorite.
Cheers
HD

Edward

Bartender
Great jacket. You've made very similar alterations to the standard as I did mine - the G1 pockets, zip on the chest pocket specifically. I too changed the cuffs, though I went for halfbelt-deluxe style button cuffs. Mine is in the cordovan fqhh, with a wool tartan lining. I'd like to get another Bootlegger eventually, this time in brown and with a different outer pocket arrangement (drop the zip on the chest pocket, keeping it for gloves, and adding a D pocket arrangement at the hips). That's a little ways off financially, though, for now.... ;)

Great jacket. You've made very similar alterations to the standard as I did mine - the G1 pockets, zip on the chest pocket specifically. I too changed the cuffs, though I went for halfbelt-deluxe style button cuffs. Mine is in the cordovan fqhh, with a wool tartan lining. I'd like to get another Bootlegger eventually, this time in brown and with a different outer pocket arrangement (drop the zip on the chest pocket, keeping it for gloves, and adding a D pocket arrangement at the hips). That's a little ways off financially, though, for now.... ;)

I think that would look good,Edward. There are so many options. I didn't ask for the chest pocket zip..but I guess it just comes with the zip sleeve arrangement. I would have prefered no zip..for easier access...but it does matchup well. When I get the Stuart..I'm done! You hear me?...I'm done,I tell ya..!:eusa_doh::D
HD

Edward

Bartender
I think that would look good,Edward. There are so many options. I didn't ask for the chest pocket zip..but I guess it just comes with the zip sleeve arrangement. I would have prefered no zip..for easier access...but it does matchup well. When I get the Stuart..I'm done! You hear me?...I'm done,I tell ya..!:eusa_doh::D
HD

Yeah. You're done.... and I'm the Queen of Sheba. ;) I did wonder when I was ordering mine how many Bootleggers actually sell with the standard configuration, i.e. no zip on the chest pocket. It's deep enough to be practical without one, for sure; my plan for the future jacket is to used it purely as a pocket where my gloves will be left sticking out all the time, so no need for the zip. Love mine - even if I am still waiting for the effects of the notorious cordovan bleed to cease! lol

Yeah. You're done.... and I'm the Queen of Sheba. ;) I did wonder when I was ordering mine how many Bootleggers actually sell with the standard configuration, i.e. no zip on the chest pocket. It's deep enough to be practical without one, for sure; my plan for the future jacket is to used it purely as a pocket where my gloves will be left sticking out all the time, so no need for the zip. Love mine - even if I am still waiting for the effects of the notorious cordovan bleed to cease! lol

....and perhaps Aero could make gloves of lined tartan wool to coordinate with the jacket lining..with Brown FQHH palms and trim...but of course. The Queen of Sheba shouldn't settle for less.....:)

Edward

Bartender
....and perhaps Aero could make gloves of lined tartan wool to coordinate with the jacket lining..with Brown FQHH palms and trim...but of course. The Queen of Sheba shouldn't settle for less.....:)

Ha, now there's an idea..... I'm hoping they can find me a lining at some point that looks like the shell of my Waterfront. It's too heavy for a jacket like a Bootlegger, but I can see it being a great choice for a Barnstormer custom (I have a notion one day of a Barnstormer with 18" added to the overall length, designed to be worn as an overcoat over a suit).

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Question about the Bootlegger

Hi There, HD. I'm looking at purchasing a Bootlegger through Thurston Bros. in Seattle. I'm thinking about ordering one in Black FQHH. I'm wondering what size you are wearing in the photos. I am 6' tall and 155lbs, wiry and lean. I really like the way your jacket looks in the photos and want a similar fit. And since it's been about four years since you posted this jacket, I'm wondering if you have photos of the jacket broken in. Could you post some for me? And do you have any photos of Aero jackets in Black FQHH? I would love to see those as well, if you have any. Thanks so much!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy