Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW Alexander Leathers Detroit in Horween Bison - PIC HEAVY

Plumbline

One Too Many
Please ... as before guys .. no manufacturer bashing.

Just thought you might like to see it.

Again ... as before ... it fits fine, I don't need any comments on fit ... it's as I like it, as I sized it and just how I want it to be. By all means comment on construction, quality of hide or ask any questions.

The hide is AMAZING and has great grain it's a tad heavy ( hence why I went for it in a "bike" jacket ) and mic's up at 3.2 - 3.4oz but doesn't suffer for it .. it's like a Horween version of the Buffalo . It's not too stiff and the pics show it straight out the box ( I haven't even adjusted the cinch straps yet. The size is a 44" and the tartan lining is "Ancient Gordon" Lochcarron but mid weight rather than my usual Strome weight. Usual Plumbline Mods ... 1" off the arms, two inside pockets and 3" moleskin strip at the bottom. Zips are std. Talon affairs and construction was by Edith .. who makes very fine jackets.

Price was £645 with the mods and I traded in my Brown Steerhide Detroit against it ..... looking forward to wearing it in :)

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
I was curious about how the Horween bison looked in brown. I really like the look of the grain and should look better as you break it in. Lining looks good with the black.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Thanks for the pics. I just got a Johnson leather is this style and have a Alexander vintage steer in this style. I like it, they are comfortable.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
You really nailed the fit and hide choice. That model looks great with the bison - actually that model would look great in pretty much any hide as the Detroit looks very cool.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Good looking jacket and I like the fit, and the lining matches beautifully. I don't like tight leather jackets either. They sent me a swatch of the CXL Bison and it is a very nice hide, but I found the grain too big for my taste. It's softer than the steer and the surface rubs nicely in the brown I had. But that grain is big...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Bloody nice hide and the lining looks great with it. Construction looks bang-on. I know you like them a bit roomier than is the fashion around here PL so it looks spot on for what you like.

I'd be very interested in seeing some photos a few months down the line to see how the bison wears and the sort of patina it begins to develop.

Now wear the hell out of it ;)

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Looks good Plumbline! Same way I like my jackets to fit. Not a fan of the skin tight look. I also picked up an Alexander Drifter last week and it's a superb jacket, very functional two with the front pocket options.

Plumbline

One Too Many
You don't need any comments on fit..?..or does that mean you just don't want any possible negative comments? So defensive. OK good enough.lol 'No comment'...[huh]
HD

Nope .. I simply don't need any HD ...... not defensive, not offensive ..... just honest [huh]

Gromulus

Practically Family
Nope .. I simply don't need any HD ...... not defensive, not offensive ..... just honest [huh]

Bravo!

I also agree that fit is personal, as long as you are happy with it than that is all that matters. (Sort of like posting on a sports car forum and asking for other opinions about your car.) Perhaps many of the "fit police" comments come from people who have ridden motorcycles and are used to that style or just like tight fitting clothing.

I am probably the hardest person I know to fit: 215" 5'7", former competitive bodybuilder. Even "custom jackets don't fit perfectly since it is hard to get a 14 - 15" (chest- to-waist) taper on a short torso so my waist is always somewhat baggy. I don't even bother posting pics asking for fit opinions here and I very seldom comment on the fit of others' clothing as well. We are not all built the same. On the rare occasion my wife has read some of these comments and threads, she shakes her head and says we are "worse than women" in this regard!

Also, not sure what you have on underneath in the pics posted. If you have a tee or lightweight shirt than you have some room for layering.

Anyhow, for what it is worth I think the jacket (and yes, the "fit" as well) looks great!. While I am partial to horsehide myself, I like the texture and drape of this skin. Let us know how it breaks in.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I recently got samples from Alexander and discounted the buffalo because, as has been noted, the grain is so massive. However, fair play, this jacket looks great and the hide 'works' much better better than I would have originally thought from just looking at the swatch.

What mods/upgrades did you get apart from the buffalo hide?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks guys ...... in terms of mods its all in the first post. Its being worn with a 150 smartwool fitted T and a Barbour scarf :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner