Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexanders Halfbelt

Plumbline

One Too Many
Guys the storm cuff comment wasn't related to this jacket ... a button cuff doesn't / shouldn't have storm cuffs in general .. it was more my general hatred of storm cuffs. The only jacket I have with them is my ANJ-4 and if i'd bought it new it would have had NONE.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, that's a good point. Does anyone have any idea when storm cuffs first appeared (I love them btw, but that's a geographic thing:D) on jackets?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
How about this for some controversy:

I personally don't care at all for button cuffs on any jacket with a zipper front. Nor do I care for zipped sleeves on a button front jacket. Either strikes me as if someone fell asleep at the wheel - not good.

If that sort of thing does not matter to the potential customer, then this is truly a fine looking jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan or Plumbline, if either of you guys live where I do, you would be ripping out storm cuffs with your fingernails.:D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

I personally don't care at all for button cuffs on any jacket with a zipper front. Nor do I care for zipped sleeves on a button front jacket. Either strikes me as if someone fell asleep at the wheel - not good.

If that sort of thing does not matter to the potential customer, then this is truly a fine looking jacket.

Actually, ForestForTheTrees probably makes a valid point about (not) matching button cuffs with zippers, which is one reason the Stuart and Teamster jackets work so well with all buttons.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Man ... it takes so long to get the buttons workable ... especially with FQHH .... It's like trying to push a baby back inside it's mother trying to do them feckers up on a new jacket. I wore my barnstormer for about a year without buttoning it up ... and the second year I only ever did up the two middle buttons ..... don't get me started on the belt which has been fastened round the back of the jacket for 6 years and NEVER undone )!!!!!

I'm afraid I'm a zip man by preference ( one of the best inventions of the 20th century IMHO) ...... I LOVE the look of all buttons ... and I don't mind them on jackets like the mariner or VDR or Barnstormer ..... but on a halfbelt or short jacket I tend to avoid ( the Raddjakke sp. was my worst nightmare :) ) An A-1 looks amazing ... but buttons AND elasticated cuffs ..... JUST SAY NO :) ( it would normally be nice soft capeskin though so probably not an issue).

In general I hardly ever undo cuff buttons ... perhaps that's form over function .... or if I do it's because I need to turn the sleeves up to make the jacket fit and I never do them up again :) :) :)

:)

Edward

Bartender
Actually, that's a good point. Does anyone have any idea when storm cuffs first appeared (I love them btw, but that's a geographic thing:D) on jackets?

I'm not entirely sure, but they're far from new. I have a French leather trenchcoat, probably 30s/40s design, but not sure exactly... That has something along those lines. I believe they've been in Barbour's waxed country jackets for years. I do find it amusing to read how unpopular they are in some corners, especially among some A2 fans. They're really just shy A2 cuffs.... ;)

Depends what you want, though. I like my for cold breezes, but there are those warmer days when they keep too much heat in. Days like those I wear a Wested Raiders jacket in goat... Specifically bought less because it's an Indy, more because I wanted a no-knits, light leather jacket that can be worn in Summer.

I agree zipped sleeves would look odd with a button front, but the reverse I like, I suppose because it has been so common or so long it doesn't look at all odd to me.

thor

Call Me a Cab

I know storm cuffs were a standard specification on US Navy M-444/445 sheepskin flight jackets dating back to about 1940. Not sure when they first appeared in civilian style jackets.

I hate storm cuffs, except in one jacket I have - a RRL "Deck Jacket" look-alike. I wear large watches, and it's mostly warmer here in SoCal, so I don't buy jackets with storm cuffs. If you live in the cold, I can see the advantages though...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Man ... it takes so long to get the buttons workable ... especially with FQHH .... It's like trying to push a baby back inside it's mother trying to do them feckers up on a new jacket. I wore my barnstormer for about a year without buttoning it up ... and the second year I only ever did up the two middle buttons ..... don't get me started on the belt which has been fastened round the back of the jacket for 6 years and NEVER undone

Preach on brother. In FQHH buttons are a form of medieval torture. Zips on a new jacket are bad enough buttons yegad and I'm a bass player! If I were just "John Q. Public" I'd be an arthritic mess.

Worf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore