Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexanders Halfbelt

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Why do I have the strong feeling that this thread is really a 'setup' with a slight snarky attitude(getting worse) to help fire-up and continue the argument of another 'Alexander' thread that was most recently locked down? A 'come on..try and take a swing' type of atmosphere leading exactly to the same place. If 'Alexander leathers' is used in this manner..it can then only breed bitterness to many every time some see that name in a topic on the FL. The back and forth has come to the point of ridiculousness. Some of us are far from 'newbies' and would appreciate adult responses overlooking the fishing posts and the bait. Otherwise..it quickly gets to the point again..that few really care what you think.
HD

as a knowing individual who, as i can tell from years of seeing your posts, you have a valid point. I, as a forum member for several years, value your input. HOWEVER I am not trying to advocate Alexander vs Aero. I DO NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF. I posted a ****ing jacket that i am interested in. THAT IS ALL IT IS ABOUT KIDS. keep your bagage out of my post!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm going back to Avirex. Cheap and nobody cares :lol:

Haha.
Actually, they make fine jackets for the price. And the founder knows his stuff. There's a good "repro" section at the end of "hell bent for leather"...the head guys at The Cockpit and Gibson Barnes are just as passionate about leather jackets as anyone else IMO.
Sorry for going off topic.

Haha.Actually, they make fine jackets for the price. And the founder knows his stuff. There's a good "repro" section at the end of "hell bent for leather"...the head guys at The Cockpit and Gibson Barnes are just as passionate about leather jackets as anyone else IMO. Sorry for going off topic.
Oh man, did you just open a can of worms...< d u c k I n g >

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Oops...
Let me redeem myself here...maybe not as passionate about "making" leather jackets. In a stitch for stitch way... I strictly meant being fans of the jacket itself. But who am I to judge?
And, that's enough of it. I'm already off topic and I apologize to the OP.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, well I own Aero and other lovely hand made jackets but my G&B's remain a favourite. They're just as much fun to wear in my view.

Plumbline

One Too Many
That's not Cossack-ish, that looks like a almost exact copy of a Aero 30's HB/Slimfit!

It does indeed Paul ... and I stand corrected .. hadn't noticed the 1930's halfbelt slimfit before on the Aero site ..... they even made is in a similar leather ... now that's naughty !

Was looking more at the cuffs and front pockets .... then I guess all the "halfbelt" designs are all based around a similar pattern with bits added and taken away ( cuffs, collar's, pockets, yoke ) there's not a lot you can do that's unique other than that ..... I'd like to see the following :

1. A change in the side adjuster to somethig which will actually stay in position without having to fold it back on itself !
2. Real bespoke options re. linings
3. Some radically new designs .... not just variations on a theme
4. Some "new" leather takes on traditionals ... M65, Trialsmaster, MA-1, N3-B etc.
5. A REALLY exceptional motorcycle jacket or two (touring and sport)

oh .. and an end to storm cuffs ........

just MHO

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
So I was curious enough to check out the Alexander website. They're not exactly giving jackets away. Looking at a LHB, we're talking about a 20% discount on a $1000 jacket. I don't know that a couple hundred bucks would swing me one way or another on a purchase of that magnitude. The time differential, however, might make a difference to some people.

Since we can't agree, my vote is that we go to the mall, get a Cinnabon, and pick up a jacket while we're there.

Feraud

Bartender
Why do I have the strong feeling that this thread is really a 'setup' with a slight snarky attitude(getting worse) to help fire-up and continue the argument of another 'Alexander' thread that was most recently locked down? A 'come on..try and take a swing' type of atmosphere leading exactly to the same place. If 'Alexander leathers' is used in this manner..it can then only breed bitterness to many every time some see that name in a topic on the FL. The back and forth has come to the point of ridiculousness. Some of us are far from 'newbies' and would appreciate adult responses overlooking the fishing posts and the bait. Otherwise..it quickly gets to the point again..that few really care what you think.
HD

I don't know that the OP started this thread in an attempt to continue any drama. Either a guy buys a jacket and posts pics or not. Many threads are started and die out from lack of interest. I agree on the idea of adult responses to fishing and the bait. No one needs to feel "baited" into any drama. The less anyone continues to perceived baiting the sooner the offending thread will die.

I've deleted a couple of comment and will delete any future ones that are inappropriate and carrying over drama from other threads, forums, etc.

Once again, If anyone has concerns about trolling, shilling, a troublemaker, etc. send us a private message or report the post.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't know that the OP started this thread in an attempt to continue any drama. Either a guy buys a jacket and posts pics or not. Many threads are started and die out from lack of interest. I agree on the idea of adult responses to fishing and the bait. No one needs to feel "baited" into any drama. The less anyone continues to perceived baiting the sooner the offending thread will die.

I've deleted a couple of comment and will delete any future ones that are inappropriate and carrying over drama from other threads, forums, etc.

Once again, If anyone has concerns about trolling, shilling, a troublemaker, etc. send us a private message or report the post.

Please delete mine if possible. 150,000% off topic.

pauleway

Practically Family
It does indeed Paul ... and I stand corrected .. hadn't noticed the 1930's halfbelt slimfit before on the Aero site ..... they even made is in a similar leather ... now that's naughty !

Was looking more at the cuffs and front pockets .... then I guess all the "halfbelt" designs are all based around a similar pattern with bits added and taken away ( cuffs, collar's, pockets, yoke ) there's not a lot you can do that's unique other than that ..... I'd like to see the following :

1. A change in the side adjuster to somethig which will actually stay in position without having to fold it back on itself !
2. Real bespoke options re. linings
3. Some radically new designs .... not just variations on a theme
4. Some "new" leather takes on traditionals ... M65, Trialsmaster, MA-1, N3-B etc.
5. A REALLY exceptional motorcycle jacket or two (touring and sport)

oh .. and an end to storm cuffs ........

just MHO

Storm cuffs should be an option, not standard. Most guys dont really want them, but if you do, just add them to your order!

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
sorry you got burned man but the price difference for me is substantial, and i like amandas service. i dont have to wait 2 weeks to get a reply to my emails, just sayin.
Could it be that the reason for delays in getting emails replied to has something to do with the mess that ken & holly are dealing with thanks to amanda & will..?just saying ;-)

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Storm cuffs should be an option, not standard. Most guys dont really want them, but if you do, just add them to your order!

OP - I really like the jacket. Please post action shots and your opinions when you receive it.

I wouldn't recommend storm cuffs with a button-cuffed jacket like this 30's Hercules repo. I only like storm cuffs on cold-weather jackets. I like versatility so I usually exclude them as well.

Not to get too far off topic but ancestry.com has all the old versions of the Sears, Roebuck and Co. catalogs available - HERE. If you're looking for vintage inspiration this may be a good place to start. Unfortunately, you need to be a member of ancestry.com. Some of the local libraries here actually have memberships so you don't have to pay $19.99 US/month to check out old catalogs.

To save time and to try to please as many different folks as possible on one thread...take your choice;
Comments about the jacket in question.
Musings about corporate issues with occasional legal innuendos tossed in.
Skeptic comments about "quality" of products.
Is there....dare I say it....a shill on board??
Indignation! Indignation I say!
MORE indignation that people should be indignated!!
Condemnations from on high that people should dare to deviate from the letter and intent of the thread served up with a heap of INDIGNATION!!!!!
Bruise egos.
A cooling down.
Back to the jacket in question. (Now now, no critiquing!)
Hmm..have to wonder though. Who was the good guy/bad guy at the split? All those problems this past year.....comments seem over the top....
And we are off to the races again!!
Ground Hog day on TFL !!

(Acknowledge deviating from the original posters intent. Oh well. Such is life.)

Last edited:
So, the group self-polices, and yet you feel the need to stir the pot again? Good gawd. I thought it was a sign of getting past the BS myself. And that includes me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, Swoosed didn't say that he had ordered the virtual copy of Aero's 30's HB but "thinkin about picking one of these up." Back to the question of storm cuffs: Personally, I am not fond of storm cuffs on anything, although I would doubt that Aero or AL would make a stock jacket with button cuffs.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Well, Swoosed didn't say that he had ordered the virtual copy of Aero's 30's HB but "thinkin about picking one of these up." Back to the question of storm cuffs: Personally, I am not fond of storm cuffs on anything, although I would doubt that Aero or AL would make a stock jacket with button cuffs.

no storm cuff on a button sleeve sir:) .... and i just like the jacket even if its the same as Aeros, don't care, there all bootlegs of 80 year old designs anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace