Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Allen Edmond Styles.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Hey, Marty...

What's the model of the shoe on the top row?

P1010234.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I wrote a LONG piece on AE for Classic Style (No. 3)

Teacher said:
If I remember correctly, someone who probably knows (nomis??) on AAAC said there were no plans to move production. In fact, I think I recall a specific promise from the new owners not to move the main production. But don't quote me on that.
The new management intends to keep production where it is. They know a winning formula when they see one!

Marty M.

Vendor
Bel Air rules.

Zemke Fan said:
What's the model of the shoe on the top row?

P1010234.jpg

The shoe nearest in the picture is the new "Bel Air" It comes in Walnut Calf and Black Custom Calf. I think that it's one of the best on the new styles. It was released the first week of April.
Marty

Otium

New in Town
AE Quality?

I just bought my first pair of AE shoes and I like them but I was a little disappointed with the quality of the finish work. Maybe I had just set my hopes a little high after the CS magazine article on them. Searching AE on the threads did bring up some less than stellar comments about their quality going slightly down over recent years.

What do you all think about AE? They aren't overly expensive compared to some shoes but if what I've read is true and the quality is slipping a little I won't mind spending more to get a shoe I can simply rebuild forever. Still, I thought it would be best to ask someone who gets to deal with them on a regular basis for their experience. Thanks.

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome to the Lounge Otium. Your question is a good one to raise. I don't think that Allen Edmonds quality has gone down at all. I've heard complaints from the back bleachers. The most common complaint is that "they stopped making my favorite shoe style". This is usually followed with "they're not what they use to be". I've now sold Allen Edmonds for thirteen years. They are the same quality product now as they were when I started selling them.
My only issue with AE shoes are as you stated earlier, they could do a better job by polishing them before they're sent out.
I have a Allen Edmond Trunk Show on April 24th. The good people of AE will be at the trunk show. I'll raise that issue with them.
Marty Mathis

Otium said:
I just bought my first pair of AE shoes and I like them but I was a little disappointed with the quality of the finish work. Maybe I had just set my hopes a little high after the CS magazine article on them. Searching AE on the threads did bring up some less than stellar comments about their quality going slightly down over recent years.

What do you all think about AE? They aren't overly expensive compared to some shoes but if what I've read is true and the quality is slipping a little I won't mind spending more to get a shoe I can simply rebuild forever. Still, I thought it would be best to ask someone who gets to deal with them on a regular basis for their experience. Thanks.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Marty M, one or two people in the industry (Ron Rider from AAAC comes to mind) claim that the black custom calf used now is of lower quality. I don't own any new black AEs, but I've looked at them in the stores (specifically Strauss in Fargo and a couple of places in the Twin Cities...haven't made it to your establishment yet:eek: ), and it doesn't really seem different to me. I sold AE about twelve years ago, and I have a pair of Park Avenues in black custom from around that era. What's your take?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic