Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Art Deco Documentary

PuzzledPictures

New in Town
oviattbuilding.gif

Hello Folks,

My name is Seth Shulman, and I'd like to tell you about a new documentary that's coming your way, MAY 2008. In Downtown Los Angeles, there lies a hidden treasure of early Art Deco known as The James Oviatt Building. But who is James Oviatt? Well, in the 1920's, Mr. Oviatt was the owner and creator of the most exclusive and expensive haberdashery in Los Angeles. Alexander & Oviatt, and later Oviatts, sold premier men's clothing in the 1920s to the 1960s.

Official Website

After James Oviatt closed his business and sold the building, it stood still at 617 South Olive Street for 10 years, before being renovated and carefully restored into Rex II Restorante, an upscale Italian restaurant whose food and prices matched Oviatt's clothing and quality. Later it transformed into what is now The Cicada Restaurant, a much less exclusive and more welcoming Italian restaurant. With it's French Art Deco, and the first in Los Angeles history, stained glass lobby and "castle in the sky" penthouse at the 12th floor, the Oviatt building has seen Los Angeles grow for 80 years. This documentary explains the people and events that helped shape it.

Executive Producer - Marc Chevalier
Music by Mora's Modern Rhythmists
Directed by Seth Shulman

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PuzzledPictures said:
But who is James Oviatt?
Oviatt? Oviatt? The name rings a bell. There was once a fellow who frequented these parts who raved about Oviatt. What was his name?.........Mike, Melvin, Mangus, Manolo, Manfred, Martin, Maurice, Merril.......................Whatever.

We know Oviatt.;)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I happily ordered mine last week, the first day the Paypal link went live.

Any ideas of how long it will take to ship?

Thanks! I really can't wait to see this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy