Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bedroom!

Miss1933

New in Town
Oh dear, your one lucky gal! They are just marvelous! I could only imagine how they will look once everything is put together, and even better if you accessorize the furniture with vintage items!! I could see it now....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It really is surprising that the veneers have held up so well. One sees sets like that around here and the veneer is invariably popping up or split at the "waterfall."

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Oil on wood Too much of a good thing

As some one who works with wood furniture I would caution the use of some products on vintage furniture or any furniture. Re-oiling wood is fine on a oil finished piece (think military gun stock). Most pieces have a topcoat. Shellac, lacquer and varnish were used most in vintage furniture. This seals the wood and prevents oil penetration to a degree. Some products (and dusting sprays) will soften the finish over time and you will remove the finish just by dusting. Most oil products end up attracting more dirt and dust (as they are not absorbed readily) leading to more re-coats and more softening. The look great at first but then dull down. The bare/white spots often seen on vintage furniture are from this. Most pieces should be wiped down with a damp not wet cloth followed by a dry one. I use one in each hand. A good furniture polish or paste wax once a year at most is sufficient. Some antique dealers and such only recommend paste wax.

Most hardware stores carry only polyurethane now. You are putting a plastic layer on the wood. Sure it is one coat and done. The adsorption is nill now. Care is easy but the caricature of the wood is changed. When something does happen it is unforgiving. The poly either melts or seals it in. Poly will wear faster than varnish. You can wear a hole in poly by rubbing.

Spar varnish is the toughest I've found without a poured finish. (something different) But as with shellac, lacquer and other varnish You need time to apply it correctly. Apply,dry 24 hours, lightly sand, apply more, repeat for as many coats 3 or more.

Just my opinion on this.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Veneers

Spesking of veneers, I pulled a very old beat up waterfall night stand table off the street recently. The veneer is very bad, peeling, splitting. Is it salvageable? Can the veneer be reglued? Can you put some sort of wood putty in the cracks between? It's not a prize winning piece, so I don't mind doing a half assed job, if it comes out half assed nice.

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Yes it can. You need to glue and clamp the veneer. Use a large wood block to hold down the veneer under the clamp. More surface area. A wood filler could be applyed to the cracks, sanded (lightly) and colored. The top or whereever it is need to be reshallaced then. You need to decide if you should strip the old off or touch up. You can even strip the top or side only and re do just that. (most probbaly)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
It looks a little dry, you may want to feed it some oil.

Just don't use linseed oil! According to Leigh and Leslie Keno, you should never put linseed oil on furniture. They said that the best thing to use is a soft beeswax polish.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its not in immaculate condition. There are minor scratches here and there....which is fine with me....

and the nightstand does have some veneer damage at the -back- edge...and lots of water rings etc....BUT...I actually just think of it is pre-worn for me...since thats the piece I would be likely to forget and stick a cup down on with no coaster...etc..

..the Toyota Matrix is a wonder for cargo hauling....everything fit right in because all the seats fold flat completely. The only thing that was too wide to lie flat was the mirror..and so I drove very slowly on surface streets home becuase it would squeek when i went over bumps....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Nah, the reason I hate her is because she AND her furniture are beautiful.

VB

*blushes*

hahah.....if you could only see me today......jeans and a sweater..not even particularly pretty or nice....

I cant even lift my arms or move much.....oh so sore.....

but I agree the furniture is beautiful....if i could dance...i would

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
*blushes*

hahah.....if you could only see me today......jeans and a sweater..not even particularly pretty or nice....

I cant even lift my arms or move much.....oh so sore.....

but I agree the furniture is beautiful....if i could dance...i would

I did a HUGE amount of cleaning last night too. I sympathize. I must have broken down 30-50 boxes and recycled them. And that's not mentioning the contents and the cleaning...uhhhh...I'm tired too. Wanna come over for a drink and we can moan together?

:eek:fftopic: And yes ladies, due to my cleaning last night, I will be posting a couple more freebies in the classifieds soon. First come, first serve. Keep watching. (back to your normal drooling over the furniture).

VB

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Update...

I wanted to share a bit of an update....

Based on Lauren's reccomendation of the Howard products..I went and got some Restore-a-finish and their Feed-n-Wax.

Here is what it does for damaged spots.. (apologies for the larger then normal pics, but makes it easier to see)

This is the nightstand with no work done.

IMG_0456.jpg

This is after -wiping- it with the restore a finish stuff

IMG_0457.jpg

And this is after the feed and wax finishing step

IMG_0458.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff