Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New boots - opinions?

Jerekson

One Too Many
After my quest for obtaining the LL Bean Engineer boot came to a crashing, humiliating defeat, I needed to find a replacement.

These boots were bought on eBay. Standard issue military boots circa 1984. Not my favorite time period. But one look at the boots and you'll see why I made an exception.

Boots3.png

Do you think they could pass for Golden Era work/ankle boots? I think they seem to have the look. Sort of Indyish in a way.

kenji

New in Town
I have a pair of similar combat boots. They're comfortable, but I don't like the soles. Not enough grip.

I like the White's and Hathorn packer boots. If I'm ever in Spokane, I'll get a pair custom made. For that price, I can't see buying off the shelf. Another nice looking boot is the Filson Highlander. Also quite expensive, but very well reviewed and nice classic lines.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Feraud said:
To be honest I cannot see why the exception?

I am not crazy about the folded down area at the top.

Apparently, they're not as cool as I thought. Oh well.

kenji

New in Town
Coolness is in the eye of the beholder. I think they're cool, just not in a "Golden Age" way. f you like them, no reason not to enjoy them. BTW, I like to wrap my laces around the ankle a couple of times and then tie a square knot in the back. That way they don't snag on brush and come untied.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Boots

Hey whatever turn you on. I know quite a bit about boots, having worn Work Boots everywork day for 30 years. These 80's boots were garbage. In my opinion the only good US issue boots were from Korea back. in the 60 tey came out with the Nam boot, total garbage. But, youlike them that's all that counts. Just giving advice.

Regards Tony

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I think those...

...are Air Force or Navy flying boots. The speed laces seem to be gone.

The way they are supposed to work is: they normally have a small metal device on the laces that tightens them rather than tying them. the extra is wrapped around the top of the boot and the flap is folded down to hold it it place.

Jovan

Suspended
I've said it before and I'll said it again. We put a little too much stock in what's period correct or what would look period correct here sometimes (unless of course we're getting jipped on OFAS :D).

If they're comfortable and you like the way they look, I see no reason why they can't be used.

Feraud

Bartender
Jerekson said:
Do you think they could pass for Golden Era work/ankle boots? I think they seem to have the look. Sort of Indyish in a way.

For an Indy inspired boot look for something with a moccasin toe like these on the left.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mid-fogey said:
...are Air Force or Navy flying boots. The speed laces seem to be gone.

The way they are supposed to work is: they normally have a small metal device on the laces that tightens them rather than tying them. the extra is wrapped around the top of the boot and the flap is folded down to hold it it place.
That's exactly what they are Mid-Fogey, and they're a good find. They're not uncommon, but are highly coveted for being so comfortable. Jerekson, they were introduced during the Cold War, and were intended to allow pilots to get their boots on as quickly as possible when they had to scramble. No time for tying laces when Bears are coming over the North Pole! These may be an early version, before they put the barrel style speed laces on them. The lack of tread is because lug soles get hung up on things, like pedals and cockpit edges.

In my estimation, they are very cool, and I've been keeping my eye out for a good pair for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner