Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New boots to get??

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Got some cowboy boots, some darker brown ostrich and a pair of snuff tan Double H. Also a pair of chocolate brown Frye zip up boots, a little taller than ankle Also some suede chelsea boots

So looking at a work boot/fatigue boot, wear mostly fall and winter with jeans and khakis, and in foul weather (when it is not pouring and in that case, I go to my LL Bean duck boots). Had some Sperry Chukkas but not that thrilled with them. Been reading the engineer and harness boot thread, got me wanting to get new ones

All of my boots are in the brown range. I only have a pair of Ferragamo loafers with the bit and that is usually worn with sports coats and dress pants, so I am thinking a black pair of boots for jeans and khakis might be in order rather than another brown shade?

Choices are something from:

Allen Edmonds, the Normandy or the Higgins Mill
Wolverine
Red Wing, perhaps iron Rangers
Chippewa

Wanting to stay round $200. Ebay is an option and Allen Edmonds runs specials and has the shoe bank.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Wolverine 1000 mile collection = comfortable out of the box. 3/5 in durability.
Redwing Iron Rangers = a few weeks to break in. 5/5 in durability.

I find both equally handsome but the RW do not “dress up” as well.
Neither can be had for $200 unless you land factory seconds from perhaps Nordstromrack.com

I find RW to be a good investment in regular use boots. You’d have to really be trying to destroy them in 4 years. Figure that puts their cost at $75 annually.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have about 20 pairs of shoes and boots, most of them Allen Edmonds, Loakes, Frye, and Thursday. As I normally wear a jacket or vest and tie but also spend a lot of time on my feet, I've found the Thursdays to be the ones I'm choosing at least three days a week, if not more. They look fine and are very comfortable, and at $199.00 a pair would fit into your parameters. I'd also suggest, for more of a work boot, Frye's Rand Lace-ups, if you can find them. They went out of production last year but can still be found on Ebay in some sizes: really nice-looking boots and extremely comfortable. I liked the black pair I got so much that I also got them in brown and tan, and I'm really glad I did. Anyway, best of luck.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I tried on the Iron Ranger and I don't like their new sole as much as I like the sole on the Normandy by Allen Edmonds. Also the toe is more bulbous. I tried on the Higgins Mill and the color did not look as good as the dark Brown Normandy, but it did not have the cap toe and might work in a dressy situation. I'm thinking it might be the Allen Edmonds Normandy or the Captain by Thursday Boot Company. Do you have any comparisons you can make?

tropicalbob

I've seen the AE Normandy boots and thought they were essentially high-priced combat boots, and I have the AE Walton boots that are very dressy but took some time (and pain) before the leather around the ankles loosened up and they became wearable. The Thursdays, while maybe not as detailed as the AE's, are very comfortable right out of the box. The suedes are very nice: I have the Captains in navy blue and get quite a few compliments on them, and the new dark olives look very tempting. For the price they're almost in a league of their own.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thank you. I have read that on TBC I may need to size down a half size? So order 8.5D instead of my normal dress shoe size of 9D?

Hard to see the various brown shades of the Captain? Your experience or thoughts? I found an Arizona Adobe color on ebay for a great price

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Nocona Python. They feel like slippers.

202130.jpg

tropicalbob

Thank you. I have read that on TBC I may need to size down a half size? So order 8.5D instead of my normal dress shoe size of 9D?

Hard to see the various brown shades of the Captain? Your experience or thoughts? I found an Arizona Adobe color on ebay for a great price
The regular brown is actually cordovan and goes well with just about anything (I wore them today with white jeans). I hadn't heard that about the fit, though. I ordered 8.5, my usual size, for both pairs and they were perfect. My son also picked up a pair of Presidents in brandy that are very nice. Also, I see they've recently come out with some new brown shades.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The only footwear I own are 7 pairs of identical dark brown boots. For the past 30 years I have only worn $80 Blundstones or similar work boots.

I experimented with RM Williams boots a couple of times but I found them hideously expensive and insufficiently robust for everyday wear. They fell to bits in months and I simply don't feel it is worth the money having them re-soled every year.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thanks all. It is the Iron Rangers, Thursday boot Captain or President, or Allen Edmonds Normandy. Dark Brown Color

AE has a sale on the Vancover but natural color does not appeal

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thursday Boot told me they have seconds. Captain is $149. So is the Diplomat with the old sole, not crepe, and it is a Moc toe. Also $149

Since I've tried on Allen Edmonds normady, the kudu leather of the normady is so soft. How does the Thursday boot leather compare? And which one would be more versatile the president or the mock toe diplomat?

Thursday is $149 or lowest priced Normandy new would be 70 more

tropicalbob

Thursday Boot told me they have seconds. Captain is $149. So is the Diplomat with the old sole, not crepe, and it is a Moc toe. Also $149

Since I've tried on Allen Edmonds normady, the kudu leather of the normady is so soft. How does the Thursday boot leather compare? And which one would be more versatile the president or the mock toe diplomat?

One reason for the Thursdays' comfort is that they're lined with "glove leather," which I assume is lambskin. No feeling of abrasion around the ankles at all.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I can't believe those Edmonds are $400. And the Iron Rangers are now $320? Crazy. Hitting those amounts, you might as well have a custom boot made by Nicks or West Coast. Over time, they would come out as more of a value after a rebuild or two.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
i would not pay full retail. Allen Edmonds has seconds and that would bring the price down. Also sometimes you can get a deal on eBay. Also Sierra Trading Post sometimes has seconds in iron Rangers

memphislawyer

Practically Family

top photo, dark brown shoe is the Allen Edmonds Normandy Other photo, shoes are Iron Rangers. Left is amber harness, lighter is copper rough and tough (new color). Which shoe might look best with blue jeans and kahkis?

I was looking at the Thursdays and hesitated. One of the reviewers stated they scuffed really easily and he had to buff them after each wearing. I wondered if that was an across the board experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner