Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Boss Raw Edge Reissue

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I see on Matt Deckard's Instagram and JJ Hat Center's web site that the anniversary reissue of the Boss Raw Edge has appeared. The JJ site says that the brim is 4", but gives no information on crown height or felt content. The hat is available open crown or with a "Buffalo Bill" crease.

Does anybody know how tall these are? Or what they are made of? I'm assuming it's fur and likely a little heavier than my Stetsonian, since this is a Western style. But I'd love to know more.

Has anyone had a chance to see/feel one in person?

Thanks.
Andrew

T Rick

Practically Family
Don't know any of the above. But when I took a look, I was amazed at how close it looked to the Sheridan, from Stetson's "Old West Collection" (available at a fraction of the price). It is NOT the same hat though. The Sheridan is buffalo fur, and the ribbon appears to be narrower, and the crease is a bit different. Still, striking similarity.

I do like the looks of that raw edge! As to the fur content, I'm sure it's a number of Stetson X's, how many or what they mean I don't know. How many, you should be able to find out. Their actual meaning? Good luck with that one.

tommyK

One Too Many
At $350 it should be beaver but I'm sure it's not. I was hoping to get in and see it in person but the price put me off.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I would only buy a new Stetson if I could see and handle them in person. As much as I admire Matt's efforts at revitalizing some of the old lines, my experience with the premiere Stetsonian and Stratoliner says that the quality is not there, especially not at that price point.

A

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
The hat is a 5X quality with a 6 1/2 open crown. the felt is heavier to support the crown and brim. We can order it for anyone. 4 to 6 weeks lag time. It would be around $325.00

Jeff

The photos of the black version make it look as if there is a running stitch at the edge of the raw brim? Perhaps an illusion. Not a bad looking revival with the frayed bow edge. A narrower ribbon would have been sexier. At least to me.

We live in an era of $150 wool hats. (Yeah, I know that's an extreme example, but those Goorin Bros. hats are selling.) All-beaver dress hats from major manufacturers and retailing for -- what? -- $450 and more? Lots more?

Three and a quarter for a decent enough fur felt hat of large dimensions seems right in line with the above. It's more than I'd pay, but what I would pay hardly matters.

Last edited:
Well, I'm very unlikely to buy ANY new hat, seeing how I already have many, many much nicer hats that rarely if ever get worn, so I would pay nothing, because I ain't buying. But seeing how the fur felt Stetson dress hats seem to be retailing for roughly $175 to $275, a more typical buyer looking for a hat of that Boss Raw Edge's dimensions might well expect to pay something north of three C's, provided the hat is of "decent enough" quality, by which I suppose I mean all fur felt with an at least passable finish, (in other words, smoother than an Akubra), a reasonably supple sweatband and ribbon work, etc. that doesn't scream "shoddy."

Last edited:

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I like the looks of it but that's way too much for what you are most likely getting. If the hat shrinks and tapers from rain then it isn't worth a poo pie in my book. If it held up as well or better than an Akubra then I'd be interested enough to want one but I still probably wouldn't actually buy one at that price.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't go over $100 for a mix beaver fur "factory" hat (and I have to add shipping) since I can get a 100% beaver felt from Fepsa for less than that.

frussell

One Too Many
Love the look, but for that much $$, I could get one hell of a hat from the Major, or several other custom western hatters. Stetson is making slow progress forward, but they seem to be stuck at the phase of making great old shapes and silhouettes that are just that, the original shape, without the workmanship. Hopefully that follows sometime soon. My chances of finding a vintage "Boss" in a 7 7/8 are pretty slim. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ