Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New color on a Fedora

Fortino37

Familiar Face
As few menbers asked on the Thread "Looking for a black Fedora" about how did I change the color of a Bradford Fedora, well here is the process I follow, this time I select a vintage hat, a light grey fedora (Mallory "The Dallas"), that has several stained and decolorated areas.
normal_PICT0115.jpg

First you have to strip the hat, it means to remove the ribbon, the sweatband and the liner.
normal_PICT0118.jpg

You need a bucket with enough water to cover the hat.
normal_PICT0121.jpg

Have to heat the water and mix the colors until obtain the tone you want.
in this case I was looking for a dark green, so I mix olive green and black and check the tone using a white ribbot, you can see the different tests along the piece.
normal_PICT0123.jpg

Later have to wash the hat body, I use a sponge and neutral soap.
normal_PICT0119.jpg

With the boiling water and the color mixed then I introduce the hat in the bucket, and to wag constantly for 20 minutes.
normal_PICT0125.jpg

Some white ribbon was addeed to get the same tone of the hat.
normal_PICT0126.jpg

After 20 min the hat is ready, have to take it out of the bucket and gave it a light shower. After that let it dry naturally.
normal_PICT0127.jpg

Once dry, I gave the hatbody, the ribbon and the sweatband to my hatter, who returned to me in a perfect like new conditions.
normal_PICT0130.jpg

normal_PICT0132.jpg

I already made this color change in about 5 or 6 fedoras and all with great results.

Saludos from Mexicali

Jerekson

One Too Many
Nice work! :eusa_clap

I've always wondered how changing a hat color would work. Very cool.

Can I ask, how does the color hold up in rain? I can't imagine much would happen, being as the hat was colored in water in the first place - but still, I figured I would ask.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Colors for a hat

I use common color powder for clothes, and don't have problems with raining days, it has a fixer to avoid decoloration.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Fortino, I have wanted a light blue summer weight for some time now. This tutorial of yours gives visions of grandeur. I may have to give this some thought. It may provide the best avenue to get were I want to be. I have a vintage Alessandra that might be a good candidate, I just hate the thought of a miscue and what I might end up with. :eek: On the other hand a light blue vintage Borso would be hard to beat.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Amazing my good sir, simply amazing!!

I applaud your efforts, your bravery, and your results. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I can't afford a "hatter," so I've had to learn to sew sweatbands and ribbons back onto the hat body. With a little practice it"s not that hard. But I've never tried the dye. Gotta do that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael