Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Custom Johnson Leather Jacket

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Some quick fit pics. Please excuse the shorts and untucked polo. I wouldn't wear a leather jacket with that combo normally. It was 98 degrees outdoors when these photos were taken.

There's enough room for a light sweater/layering underneath the jacket. To achieve perfection, I'd bring in the shoulder .5" on either side. I'll do that with the next jacket.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
As one who's posted here regarding my own JL experiences, I'd be curious how you went about it. You didn't mention it, so I assumed you didn't just go in. How did you build the jacket, choose the materials, adjust the fit? Phone? Internet? Test jacket??

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
As one who's posted here regarding my own JL experiences, I'd be curious how you went about it. You didn't mention it, so I assumed you didn't just go in. How did you build the jacket, choose the materials, adjust the fit? Phone? Internet? Test jacket??

I sent Alan (JL) some pictures of some jackets I liked, and we mixed and matched certain elements, e.g. breast pockets, action back, etc., until it met my structural demands. The basic design was closest to a JL M200, so we decided to use that as the starting point. He sent me out a test M200 jacket, which I received and took pictures of and sent back to him. After this, it was decided that the sleeves were too long, torso a bit long, sleeves too wide, etc. A lot of minor tweaks were requested by me, and Alan made a few recommendations as well.

I originally wanted a chocolate brown elk hide, but when I received the sample, it was too 'light'. So I just went with the black.

I already knew what lining I wanted for my next black leather jacket, so I sent it to Alan the same time I returned the test jacket.

After all that, I just sat back and waited. And received the jacket exactly when Alan promised it would be ready.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Some quick fit pics. Please excuse the shorts and untucked polo. I wouldn't wear a leather jacket with that combo normally. It was 98 degrees outdoors when these photos were taken.

To achieve perfection, I'd bring in the shoulder .5" on either side. I'll do that with the next jacket.

Those shoulders look perfect. That half inch makes the shoulders look great and less pinched than the shoulders on some jackets I've seen here.

There's a range of possibilities when to comes to shoulder fit. Look at this period half-belt on Dennis Quaid. Now that's wide but I think he gets away with it.

dennis-quaid-stars-set-vegas-los-angeles-nf-frz-bndx-1030547493.jpg

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Those shoulders look perfect. That half inch makes the shoulders look great and less pinched than the shoulders on some jackets I've seen here.

There's a range of possibilities when to comes to shoulder fit. Look at this period half-belt on Dennis Quaid. Now that's wide but I think he gets away with it.

View attachment 15978

I don't disagree. It's a casual jacket and I'm not trying to achieve a look of 'sharpness' with it. However, my next jacket will be worn with dress slacks, etc., and I will lean towards a sharper look.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I sent Alan (JL) some pictures of some jackets I liked, and we mixed and matched certain elements, e.g. breast pockets, action back, etc., until it met my structural demands. The basic design was closest to a JL M200, so we decided to use that as the starting point. He sent me out a test M200 jacket, which I received and took pictures of and sent back to him. After this, it was decided that the sleeves were too long, torso a bit long, sleeves too wide, etc. A lot of minor tweaks were requested by me, and Alan made a few recommendations as well.

I originally wanted a chocolate brown elk hide, but when I received the sample, it was too 'light'. So I just went with the black.

I already knew what lining I wanted for my next black leather jacket, so I sent it to Alan the same time I returned the test jacket.

After all that, I just sat back and waited. And received the jacket exactly when Alan promised it would be ready.

It's totally amazing how Alan can look at some pix you emailed him and rattle off two inches bigger in chest, one inch lower in back. etc. It sure seems easier than the song and dance people (in the States) go through to order from Aero. I was really surprised when I received my first test jacket (I've needed two for the last jacket because I changed my style). I thought it would be an old beat-up jacket that dozens of people have tried on before that was for size only. Instead in was a brand new jacket of whatever size in the closest stock style to what you want. Of course I'm prejudiced, but I think JL (with my input, thank you) made me the nicest jacket west of the Rockies.

P.S. Isn't anyone going to listen to my radio program? I promise you'll have so much enjoyment you'll never forget it.

http://www.otrr.org/jimbo/vicandsade/Vic and Sade 44-06-07 Elkskin Shoe Laces.mp3
(the part about Elk starts just after six minutes in.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR