Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Custom Johnson Leather Jacket

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Received a new Johnson Leather jacket last week and was able to try it on over the weekend.

Specs:

Hide: Black elk, 3.5 oz (love the grain, the hide feels halfway between Bison and Goat, very supple and wearable out of the box)
Lining: Oxford grey Japanese Cupro (provided to Alan)
Styling: Similar to an Alexander Leathers (4 pocket) Roadster or a Lost Worlds Suburban; full action back, zippered breast pockets, open hand warmer pockets, one map pocket, normal sleeves, wind flap

Nice fit (will snap a few fit pics later), quality craftsmanship, followed my requests perfectly, including a slight tapering from armpits to the waist, slimming the sleeves by .5", etc. Love working with Johnson Leathers; glad the forum was able to provide some background on past work, etc.

Front:

Back:

Closeup (grain and pockets):

I am floored with this as it is basically exactly how I've been imagining a perfect riding jacket - only with zip sleeves. As of late, I find myself being most impressed with whatever someone posts that's done by Johnson Leathers and this jacket isn't an exception.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
That is one gorgeous and unique jacket! Love the elkhide, you don't see much of that around on leather jackets. Sounds like Johson Leathers is the place to go to for a custom designed leather jacket, nice! Wear it in good health.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Fantastic jacket. Exactly what is that lining that you supplied to Alan?

Japanese Cupro Bemberg from Britex Fabrics. Many colors to choose from; I wanted a shade of grey for a black jacket, and I found it. I also bought some in a shade of bone which I'm going to use for another (brown) jacket down the road.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job, Ykurtz, it looks the business. I'm glad we have another satisfied Johnson Leather customer. I have two of their jackets, and am pleased with both of them. One is a heavy 4+ oz. riding jacket and the other is a 3.5 oz. around town jacket that could be used for riding.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Good looking jacket. Can't say that I know anything at all about elk. I have a rare G&B A-2 in deer and it is soft and supple yet strong.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I am floored with this as it is basically exactly how I've been imagining a perfect riding jacket - only with zip sleeves. As of late, I find myself being most impressed with whatever someone posts that's done by Johnson Leathers and this jacket isn't an exception.
Johnson Leathers offers a wide open way to envision and commission something exactly the way you want it, all at an affordable price point. Had to try it, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
That is one gorgeous and unique jacket! Love the elkhide, you don't see much of that around on leather jackets. Sounds like Johson Leathers is the place to go to for a custom designed leather jacket, nice! Wear it in good health.
Thanks! I am probably a minority in this case but I tend to prefer things that are matte colored, not shiny, so elk in this instance and the way it was treated served its purpose well.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
That's a truly beautiful jacket. I particularly like the back: nice and clean-looking. Cheers.

The back was the one part I wanted to customize most. I wanted something with freedom of movement, but didn't look complicated. I think this action back style fits the bill.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Good job, Ykurtz, it looks the business. I'm glad we have another satisfied Johnson Leather customer. I have two of their jackets, and am pleased with both of them. One is a heavy 4+ oz. riding jacket and the other is a 3.5 oz. around town jacket that could be used for riding.
I'm a fan of Johnson Leathers now given this jacket and have already started on another jacket that will work better in warmer weather. I like the freedom of choosing whatever materials I like, and JL is very open to try new things.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Good looking jacket. Can't say that I know anything at all about elk. I have a rare G&B A-2 in deer and it is soft and supple yet strong.
Elk is similar to deer, but perhaps a bit thicker and tougher. I'm a big fan of the hide in that it has the best characteristics of cow and most of the benefits of goat. That's a subjective assessment, based on my experience.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Really lovely utilitarian design. And neat to see some elk hide, not something you see terribly often.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Very nice ... I'm a big fan of Elk and have both Elkskin boots and gloves and one jacket which is a 1980's Chevignon ..... it's really tou but very supple and has an incredible hand.

Very nice .. wear it well.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Very nice! Like others have said, it's understated, a clean look I think.

I also received my jacket from Alan this week. Hope to get around to pictures when I get back to home in a couple of weeks.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just wondering if you were considering the "Luftwaffe" design at all when you came up with this. I suppose it's just a matter of taste, but I much prefer the bi-swing back as it just looks neater to me than the one-piece. Nice specs as well, and the execution by Johnson looks perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner