Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW ELC .50CAL A2

Burnsie

This DOES look a lot like an Aero - ELC says it is very typical of a 1942 A-2 which seems vague enough but after looking at the pictures translates to "ELC's version of an Aero".
I agree with the wear-it-in-yourself crowd...when I spend a pile of my hard earned dough on a repro item I want it brand new and looking like it so I can wear it in 100% uniquely to myself, leather or Levi's have to be the deadstock versions...
Also regarding John Chapmans pics the jackets look great and I admit up front I'm shallow but why not wear a pair of vintage Levi's or Lee's instead of the crazy pocket jeans and new striped button up shirts?!? I admitted I'm shallow...
LASTLY when all the debates are had this new ELC jacket IS a nice looking A-2!

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
If you're a large-ish size 40, there's an Aero A-2 with rust knits & deadstock Talon etc. at Portobello market that's been sitting on a stall for a couple of weeks. He wants £80 for it. It runs pretty big.

It'll probably still be there tomorrow. Short rockabilly-looking chap running the stall.

bk

Eee, now there's a temptation... Alas, given that my Aero AN6552 is definitely the right size for me, and it's a 42, I can't see me getting into a 40 A2. Curses! Fantastic price for it, though - eBay they seem to average £200 and upwards.

It's a lovely jacket, and seemed to fit bigger than other size 40 leather jackets i've tried on.

For the same price - at least +/- £5 - there's a rather early G-1, with orang-ey collar fur and deco Talon zipper instead of the paperclip type. Again, it was there the last couple months or so.

bk

Hamsterjeep

New in Town
Eastman "Aero Leather" A-2

Eastman did make an "Aero Leather" A-2, it even had the AeroLeather label in it until the folks in Scotland objected.Then they used some other "Eastman" label. This is my Eastman "Aero Leather" that I bought used, so I don't know the exact year it was made. It had the berry colored knits from the factory like the wartime ones did, but they were worn out and I had them replaced with rust knits from, Aero Leather! It looks very much like the new "50-Cal" edition.I added a shoulder decal and WWII style nametag.It also has the rare "Aero Leather" label fom Eastman.
PICT0005.jpg

As I got it, in original condition, factory berry knits, all stretched out ( one of Eastmans flaws, poor knits):
Pict0063.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super looking ELC Aero. I believe these jackets were made in the early-mid 1990s. They are very sought-after and rarely come up for sale on Ebay.

aswatland

HoosierDaddy said:
Actually the Eastman Aeros with the Aero label were made in the early 2000s.
HD

Thanks for putting me straight on this. I have confused this label with their own one which they used in their Aero-style A2 from the mid 90s, which is featured in their Golden Book.

rumblefish

One Too Many
^
Tim, the knits on my Eastman A-1 seem a bit wispy, compared to my other jackets; Goodwear, Gibson & Barnes, Avirex. It's not even a year yet so, I don't know how it will weather[huh]. But, so far-so good.
Can't speak for any of their A-2s though.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
rumblefish said:
^
Tim, the knits on my Eastman A-1 seem a bit wispy, compared to my other jackets; Goodwear, Gibson & Barnes, Avirex. It's not even a year yet so, I don't know how it will weather[huh]. But, so far-so good.
Can't speak for any of their A-2s though.

The old ELC knit problem has since been remedied. I have one of their A-1s with the revamped knits and they are holding up just fine. They are my number one source for replacement knits on any originals that I have repaired/restored.

:) Senicko :)

Chris217

New in Town
I agree, the knits on the newer ELC jackets are far better than the ones from years past. The knits on my RW "warhorse" 1401P are also holding up just fine. I've had no problems with "ballooning cuffs."

aswatland

I bought one of the jackets at Duxford on Sunday. Here are some pics taken today in the garden. I did not buy the jacket as a 100% copy of an Aero. It is very similar to WW11 Aeros of course. I bought it because it is stylish and a decent fit being a 42. I already have two GWs and ten originals, including two Aeros, so total authenticity is not really an issue. The jacket is also very comfortable and does not suffer from shoulder droop. There are many places where the cow hide has a very distinctive grain and also smoother sections as on many originals. It is astylish everyday wearer and I am very pleased with it.

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-16.jpg

005-16.jpg

006-13.jpg

007-15.jpg

008-17.jpg

009-16.jpg

010-15.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Great purchase!

Good for you Andrew, you buy what you like and I admire you for that. True GW makes some splendid jackets, I don't own one because I refuse to pay what JC is asking, (not that it's unreasonable) but the price plus the import duty make it not a very attractive buy for us European guys as you know. I would just prefer a nice original or a used ELC from eBay and take my chances. I love the hunt and I'm afraid if I buy one of John's jackets it would be so darn good that I would have discovered the perfect jacket and then the hunt would be over, and we couldn't have that,

aswatland

Senicko_Spain said:
Good for you Andrew, you buy what you like and I admire you for that. True GW makes some splendid jackets, I don't own one because I refuse to pay what JC is asking, (not that it's unreasonable) but the price plus the import duty make it not a very attractive buy for us European guys as you know. I would just prefer a nice original or a used ELC from eBay and take my chances. I love the hunt and I'm afraid if I buy one of John's jackets it would be so darn good that I would have discovered the perfect jacket and then the hunt would be over, and we couldn't have that,

Steve, I agree with you about GWs-terrific jackets as I know from first hand. The long wait plus the import duties are clearly a concern. BTW I bought my GW Werber for half the full price from a member of another forum and its a great wearer! I was helpful to be able to try on the ELC A2 at Duxford and wear it for some of the airshow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ