New! ELMC Jacket Highway Star®️ Horsehide

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by 58panheadfan, Jun 19, 2019.

Do you like this italian style collar?

1. Yes

83.8%
  2. No

16.2%
  1. CBI

CBI One Too Many

very nice

2. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

Given just how similar it is to the Mulholland, I unsurprisingly like this jacket. I do think it should have a chest pocket, though. Looks kind of funny without it. The collar, as on the Mullholland, is IMO the best part.

ton312 and Bennarion like this.
  3. Bennarion

Bennarion One Too Many

With a breast pocket it would be more interesting.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  4. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One of the Regulars

I like the collar but not how they styled it for these shots. Should be easy enough to manipulate.

sweetfights likes this.
  5. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Beautiful jacket but I cannot find it on their website. Would be a much cheaper alternative to the Mulholland

6. Clifton

Clifton New in Town

Not picking at nits, just wondering if I had unusual experience. Anyone else find that collars cut like that, as opposed to the press stud-down collars, start flapping in your face as you ride at speed? I've used screens a lot and, naturally, that doesn't occur - just when riding my 'naked' bikes.

sweetfights and JMax like this.
  7. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

Yes, this would not be a jacket I ride in. That flapping is annoying. But the back yoke, thicker CL-type leather panel along the bottom and lack of a chest pocket does it for me. I will own one at some point.

8. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Definitely on their website....

https://www.elmc.co/highway-star-black-p-278.html

I like the collar, the only thing is the missing chest pocket...then again I'm not in the market for a 6th ELMC so it doesn't make much of a difference lol

9. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

That's it, i need one...

10. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Thanks. Yes, now it's online but when I posted it it wasn't - they also answered on Insta that they forgot it.

11. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan A-List Customer

Undoubtedly, the leather used by Eastman Leather is very nice and good quality as well, but whether it's actually an "alternative" (in terms of a replacement) maybe more a "choice", once you've hit the shinki horsehide route... (meant is the shinki hh used by FW* :)).

I don't want open a bootle of worms again, I think it was already sufficiently mentioned in this forum why the shinki hh is so expensive. But apples are often compared to oranges in this topic, mostly of new or stubborn members :rolleyes:

*Nevertheless again: There is a good reason why the jackets from FW as well as from RMC and FW cost considerably more than hh jackets from other manufacturers. One of the mainly reason: the costs of the leather in the tanning process... in simple words, the Italian leather need weeks, those of shinki months in the tanning bark and as known: "time is money". Therefore the raw leathers used by FW and other premium industrial consumers in Japan are "ferraris". Of course it is everyone's own taste if you like one in red, blue, yellow etc. (means finish on each jacket made by each manufacturer differently, e.g. cut, color, top coat finish, lining, hardware, stitchwork-equipment and more), but a ferrari remains a ferrari... also there is a reason why aluminum body types fetches $$$ prices inside the ferrari family. There is nothing like a good base... ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. 58panheadfan

Of course, there are other manufacturers outside of Japan using shinki hh but not on an "aluminum base"... :D

13. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

I do not want to contact ELMC because I will be tempted to just purchase the jacket lol. That said, if someone receives or already has sizing information please post it. Thanks. I have data for the Roadstar and would bet the numbers are similar.

sweetfights and Guppy like this.
  14. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I like the yoke on the back of the ELMC. The jacket looks a bit pre worn in which is not my thing at all, but its nice nonetheless.

Angel and sweetfights like this.
  15. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

Will be interested to see who caves first. Whoever it is I hope they provide a detailed review. Enquiring minds want to know!

handymike and JMax like this.
  16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It would be me if you all will goFund me :)

17. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado One of the Regulars

I like the swallow tail type collar on this jacket. Reminds me of some of those French/German cycling jackets from the 30's.

18. 58panheadfan

After the collar was mentioned several times in this thread, I opened a poll who likes this in three different styles to wearing italian style collar (stand up, spread or turned up)?

stand up
    IMG_E0116.JPG

spread
    IMG_E0117.JPG

turned up
    IMG_E0118.JPG

You have the choice! ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    navetsea likes this.
  19. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

The closer it gets to my shoulder...the better.

ProteinNerd and Carlos840 like this.
  20. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

I wear mine spread on my Mulholland. Again, I love this style of collar :)

ProteinNerd likes this.