Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New film review: Triumph (1917)

happyfilmluvguy said:
I wasn't able to, but how was your first experience seeing an old movie in a theater?

Oh it was great! The live piano accompaniment really added to the experience. The Linwood Dunn is a nice theater. We were also lucky in that we got a spot RIGHT out front, literally. I enjoyed myself there.

A few months ago when I was still in Philly, I had the opportunity to see Sunset Boulevard on the big screen and I didn't. That's one I regret. Hopefully it'll run out here :)

happyfilmluvguy said:
It has before, it will again.

You should definitely look into all the movies American Cinematheque has to offer. One of their theaters you may have already seen or drove by.

Saturday, October 27
7:30 PM Horror-Thon RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD & FREAKS & FROM BEYOND & LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT & THE CHILDREN & THE GATES OF HELL

FREAKS!!!!! BIG SCREEN!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Also look into the Film Noir Festival and the Silent Movie Theater. I'm probably going to squeeze your wallet dry. lol

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Yes sir. I think it is slightly different, but organized by the same foundation. I went to see The Wrong Man at the Egyptian Theater a couple of months ago, and Mildred Pierce at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica. Both with the help of American Cinematheque. I don't know when it is, though. Some movies set in New York, others in Los Angeles. The Wrong Man was in New York and Mildred Pierce was in Santa Monica.

http://egyptiantheatre.com/archive1999/2007/Film_Noir_LAvsNY_2007.htm

mike

Call Me a Cab
oooooooh how was it?!?! Was Lon a main character? I know it was pre-Miracle Man so I figured it wouldn't be too juicy of a role for him. Was I wrong?
I planned on going but had to work late at work...
I saw the Academy's last screening, it was Her Wild Oat w/Colleen Moore & this amazingly early (1917?) 18 year old female chinese directed film with an entire chinese cast. Her whole family came to the screening! Including a 101 year old woman who was in the film as a little girl!
It was one heck of an experience!
If you're new to town, I've got a lot of suggestions for you. I moved here from NYC a year ago and LA is full of exciting classic film events.
There's the Silent Movie Theatre, the Old Town Music Hall (my favorite!), the Billy Wilder Theatre @ the Hammer Museum, Last Remaining Seats, the Gene Autry Museum (I just saw a marathon of the complete Phantom Empire serial there!!) and that's just the beginning! Forry Ackerman is 91 years old and needs to be visited! He loves cupcakes! hahaha
Then there's the various walking and bus tours of exciting rare stuff around town!
Oh! And anyone interested in taking a hike in the redwoods to Lon Chaney's cabin..!??!?
click me
welcome to los fangeles!

mike

Call Me a Cab
pardon me, reread your post and realized you linked your review :rolleyes:
sounds like a very interesting film, plus doesn't the Linwood Dunn theatre have a display of handpainted posters from the "Now Playing" book?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Palace said:
Right you are sir :) I was in AWE!!! If I thought I could get away with it.... ;)

Where's Chaney's cabin?

click the link in my above post but..
"If ever you find yourself hiking up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek on the eastern side of California's Sierra Nevada mountains.." Apparently it's about 4.5-5 hours drive north of LA, maybe north east. I'd figure it out specifically when the trip becomes a reality :p I have a friend that took the hike and said it's a beautiful but rough hike. His cabin is set near a beautiful lake, and if you remember ever seeing any home movies of him with Hazel Chaney over his shoulder tickling her feet, it took place here! It was the place he built to get away from hollywood and just enjoy nature :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou