Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New films

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just ordered the following DVD movies, have you seen them?

1 "The Best Years of Our Lives"
William Wyler; DVD; $11.21

1 "Mrs. Miniver"
William Wyler; DVD; $15.98

1 "Since You Went Away"
André De Toth; DVD; $11.96

1 "The Warner Gangsters Collection (The Public Enemy / White Heat / Angels with Dirty Faces / Little Caesar / The Petrified Forest / The Roaring Twenties)"
James Cagney; DVD; $51.69

1 "Dead End"
William Wyler; DVD; $13.46

1 "Leave Her to Heaven"
John M. Stahl; DVD; $7.49

1 "A Letter to Three Wives"
Joseph L. Mankiewicz; DVD; $11.24

The Best Years of Our Lives is probably one of the best period films you will ever see. It stars Thersea Wright, Myrna Loy, William Powell, and Dana Andrews. Superb. You will love the WWII period, acting, dress. Won Best Picture. This is one if my favorites. If you haven't seen it, you are not a vintage person, no argument.

Mrs. Miniver also is set in WWII England. Stars beautiful Greeg Garson, Walter Pigeon, Teresa Wright, and Henry Travers. Wonderful period film, with very adept cinematography, score, and brilliant acting. This is a "lets fight Nazi"s" type of film This one won too.

Since You Went Away is a wonderful WWII film starring the great Caudett Coulbert, and Joseph Cotton, and so many other greats! filmed in beautiful BW cimematography, this is a MUST SEE! If you love WWII period films, this is it!

The Warners Collection...these are classic pictures of our great actors. You will love the scenes, the costumes, and the stars! MUST HAVE for any true ganster film noir person!

Leave her to Heaven also starrs Gene Tearney (of LAURA fame). Beautiful color film of a twisted woman who will do anything to keem the man she loves, to include murdering his only son! This is a wonderful film noir , abiet color, film classic. This is one not to be missed, for the plot, scenes, period, and the wonderful costumes. I love this film!

A Letter to Three Wives, this is a classic starring Kirk Douglas, Paul Douglas, Jeannie Crain...the list is endless. A letter is written to three wives, that her husband is cheating, and is to leave town. Who is it? The film is one of the best film noir, WWII period films ever. It is in the book "Greatest films of the Fortys". DO NOT MISS THIS!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
GREAT Selection

I agree: The Best Years of Our Lives was a standout. I didn't think it had the staginess of many films of the era. The characters seemed very believable. Great story, great sets, costumes, great film.
Nice small bits by Hogie Charmichael.
It looked at the difficulties of putting your life together after surviving war. The unflinching way it dealt with a veteran/amputee had to be groundbreaking.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Can't say that I have seen these.

I just ordered;

A Face In The Crowd 1957
Advice & Consent, 1962
Bad Day At Black Rock, 1954
Blackboard Jungle, 1955
The Americanization Of Emily, 1964
Fury, 1936
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang, 1932
The United States Of Leland, 2004
I'll Sleep when I'm Dead, 2004
South Park 4, 2004 :p

I'm really looking forward to sitting down with the classics.

Tom

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
I completely agree with you on Leave Her To Heaven. You might say I love it to death. :cool:

Some gangster flick collection for sure. Havn't seen The Public Enemy, but the rest are all really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24