Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Fur Felt under $100

david4king

New in Town
I am looking for an ok fur felt fedora for around $100. Can I do this or do I have to get a wool hat for that price? Have any of you found any? I know hats plus has one that I got but I need one in black. Hats in the belfry has some. Are they high quality. Or should I just go with wool at this price point. What do you guys consider to be the lowest price point while still getting an ok hat?
Sorry for so many questions I am new.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
You can definitely get a decent fur felt hat for 100 dollars. I have had two Stefano (Stefeno) hats that were both 95 dollars and they are/were great hats that were fun to wear and look good.

Hats Plus has a selection of Stefeno all fur felt hats at good prices HERE.

Also, you may like to look at Jaxon hats fur felt numbers HERE. They have a decent rep. regarding price vs. quality. (That Bogart half-way down is on my list of inexpensive hats to buy some day for fun!).

As usual, take all opinions with a grain of salt.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
skyvue's advice is right on.

There are many Akubra styles to choose from at the price range you mentioned.

Welcome to the lounge also david4king!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Akubra!

As Skyvue said, Akubra's tough, well-made rabbit fur hats are an excellent choice. For example, at today's exchange rate, the Stylemaster is $96 including shipping from EverythingAustralian:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535

EverythingAustralian also carries several other fedora models - the Squatter, Campdraft, Fedora, Hampton, etc., though they are primarily a bush hat dealer and don't keep many fedoras in stock. OTOH, they sometimes have more in stock than expected (i.e., models/colors/sizes that generally take three months to be made up), so it's worth writing/calling them to ask.

HatsDirect is another great dealer, and they are the only Akubra dealer offering the Federation model, an outstanding Indy-type hat. But their prices, and shipping, are higher and go a bit beyond your $100 limit - but they keep nearly everything in stock, and their shipping is really fast (usually under a week):

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats

Anyway, check out the many Akubra threads - these are great hats for the price!

babs

A-List Customer
There's also Miller hats as well.. A lot of their fur felts are right around your $100 mark. Incidentally, shameless plug.. Depending on your size, I have a nice fur felt that's just a shy small for me but I love the hat. Save a bunch off a new one... 1/2 the cost of new retail.

7 1/4
2stuploadfromcamera099.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43759

Nice homburg Bailey as well in the ad. (7 1/4 to 7 3/8) Yes, though it's wool, it's a nice felt I say.. I'd keep it if I weren't in the hunt for vintage hats and a particular Akubra. I'm also indifferent about the Miller but found a vintage that's so similar I had to make a decision.. Plus the Miller, though wearable, is a little tight on my noggin.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
The price for Akubra hats right now are a bargain, but beware shipping costs; you're looking at potentially paying 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the actual hat additional to have it shipped, depending on your geographic location. I was on the "Purchase" page when I realized exactly how much I was about to spend and how much higher that was than my limit.

Hornets hats, also posted above, sells Christys, which unless I'm sadly misinformed is a well-regarded brand in the UK. Their USD prices are comparable to Akubra, but their closer geographic proximity to North America shaves a nice chunk of change off of the shipping cost.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Shipping costs

Maybe I'm wrong here....

I just purchased a hat from Everything Australian and the shipping cost was AUD 21.44, which is roughly USD 18.30.

According to the Hornet website, shipping is GBP 20.00, which is USD 33.00.

Are my figures correct?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I don't know about the shipping from Hornet Hats, but on my last EA purchase, I think shipping was right around $18, so I think that one's right.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
My own experience was with the Fed IV at Hatsdirect; I got quoted AU$37.90, or about $33 USD. So it would appear that the savings actually come from the price of the hat itself, and not shipping; I do apologize and admit my error.

On the other hand, you've now got me looking at EA.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Hat center

Hornets is not the cheapest!

I found a Christy's retailer who is a tad cheaper:

http://thehatcompany.com/

Andy from the site wrote me back stating:

1st email: We can supply the Christy adventurer at £49.95 plus carriage.

...shipping, £15.00

so you save, what 5 pounds and 5 pence is it?

hornets:

shipping: Rest of the World - Option 1 £20.00
adventurer: £50

:D

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I have a Tesi fur felt hat -- the Pallone. I got it at John Helmer in Portland Oregon for $58. It is really comfortable with extremely soft felt. I don't know too much about the quality compared to Akubra, but I've worn it out in Wisconsin winters and in summer downpours and it's held its shape perfectly.

http://www.johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/1056

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael