Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Good Wear Ventura...

The sleeve straps are really nice (check Seabiscuit movie) and period correct. I'd like to see some better pics of lining, very nice also. If you get another one you should consider a 2-tone. I just got one from Aero (got pics ready-will post soon) and it is really a great looking jacket!
Been thinking of that too. The colors would have to be close, but different. I'll have to go through the two tone pics and see...

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just caught up on this and as a self confessed jacket whore all I can say Butte is ... WOW !

A STUNNING jacket and the attention to detail ( as with all of John's creations) is simply outstanding.

Wear it well ..... :)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Well Butte, you probably realized by now that the leather on your jacket is already achieving you much vaunted "Patina" you so desire. That patina like the wear of your elbows along the seam is actually the pigment coating of your jacket damaged, originally put on to protect the leather and to give it some water repellance. It is semi-analine. No need to put anything on it as it would only slow the patina process. I myself prefer to care for my semi-analine Shinki leather jackets with a combination of Leather Therapy lotion to maintain the moisture/prevent mold, and 303 protectant to give the pigment some protection from wear and acidic fluids that is bound to attack the finish. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your patina, as it doesn't take much at all for that Shinki semi-analine pigmented horse. Nice jacket, by the way. looks like 2.5 oz.

Last edited:
P5640: You're 100% correct. I've been lucky with the cool jacket weather. It's coming along nicely. I only wish it were September and not March! But once I get enough break-in on it, I'll post some pics. The hide is totally beautiful. The jacket, my favorite. Thanks for the comments guys!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Mustang paste reads well, no doubt. I think that there is a similar oil base product that Real McCoys have labeled "Horse Oil" Both of these are not easily procurable here in the U.S.

I chose to use a non oil based product to restore moisture and a water based UV protectant 303 which is a perfect complement to the light pigment on my semi analine leathers. Many of the products out there are not UV screening and that is one of the big killers as UV eats everything, especially the threads over time and the zipper tape. Properly blocking UV will double the life of the garment easily.

A third product that is referred by Shinki are the leather cleaning and protection products from Uniters SPA. They have a presence in Europe and U.S. I was thinking of purchasing those products but want to use up all the stuff I have at hand before spending any more.

All in all, folks are more interested in achieving some wear and tear on their jackets. Copious use of care and protection products makes it take longer.

This is what I was recommended for Shinki.

http://www.mustangpaste.com/

Was told to apply, at most, twice a year.

I'm not treating the Ventura any time soon. But thanks for the info guys. I'm letting it live and show it's life on the sleeves. :)Interesting, Iron Heart is the main source as far as I can tell. If it were available here, I'd maybe get some for other items, but I imagine the costs of getting from UK or Germany are not worth it. Thanks anyway for the info. Never heard of this stuff here before.

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
I'm not treating the Ventura any time soon. But thanks for the info guys. I'm letting it live and show it's life on the sleeves. :)Interesting, Iron Heart is the main source as far as I can tell. If it were available here, I'd maybe get some for other items, but I imagine the costs of getting from UK or Germany are not worth it. Thanks anyway for the info. Never heard of this stuff here before.

I'm sure there's no need to treat it right away, although I really have no idea when a treatment is called for. After 6 months of wearing my jacket, the hide started to look a bit dry, so I slapped some Mustang Paste on. I'd definitely like to put some patina on this, so I'm going to try and only treat it once a year. I had never heard about the UV issue, but that is something to think about.

Didn't realize that Mustang Paste is distributed by IH and DC4. I learned of it from the shop where I picked up my jacket, but it seems to be sold out there now.

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=15868860

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure I have no need to tell you this, Butte, but if I was you I'd just give your jacket some welly and let it's inner greatness shine through.:D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ah, apologies. It's to use something as if you mean it. A bit of forcefulness. Welly is short for Wellington boot, though.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Exactly! It's a great phrase to use when somebody's being a bit lily-livered about something: "Come on, give it some welly!":D

Last edited:
Man, you ferriners are tough to understand. Now, I get the Welly - sheep - Montana connection as it seems Scot's and Montanans are infamous for such humor, but I had no clue how it tied into my jacket. Man...
Anyhoo, yes, I'm doing what I can to beat it kindly to get some of the grain and personality out. Once I get a few more days in it, I'll try to get my wife's camera, attempt to use it, then take some pics. If anyone is hesitant, the light wool liner does not itch, and does not get hot. Really glad I chose it! And it carries the vintage looks perfectly. People really love it. I've worn nothing but since I got it.

Yes, still looking forward to seeing it on ! Thanks.
Did you look at previous pages? Granted, it was new, but there's pics there. Sans ugly head. Today is good jacket weather. Maybe I can try again. I was also wondering if someone here bought the previous 48 Ventura in black from Good Wear? It sold some days back...come out of the shadows whoever you are! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran