Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Goodwear Prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Eighteen pages of discussion, amazing! What's even more amazing is the lack of much discussion on this topic over on VLJ. The US is still a free country, and John is free to charge what the market will bear. Classic free market principles at work.

thor

One Too Many
Eighteen pages of discussion, amazing! What's even more amazing is the lack of much discussion on this topic over on VLJ. The US is still a free country, and John is free to charge what the market will bear. Classic free market principles at work.

The US is still a free country. John is free to raise his prices. And people are free to talk about it. The very essence of freedom is free speech.

So any attemps at trying to corral the thread posts from running off into more and more pages of different interpretations and complex theories of JCs decision and (disreguarded) simple explanation are futile and those are not welcomed.
It seems opinion runs from: He should hire a helper/helpers to produce jackets faster(whether he wants to or not)...but keep prices down,too. He is surely making it unaffordable for many now. How can he get away with this? Must I really go elsewhere? Can it/does it fit in with world economics. Does it mean that I might not be able to feed my family now since I finally realized that I do want a detail accurate GW? Or considering the stats by living in the northeast should I still be able to swing one and those from Mississippi and Greece are the ones really screwed? :cool:

Edward

Bartender
The US is still a free country. John is free to raise his prices. And people are free to talk about it. The very essence of freedom is free speech.

This is true, although technically the FL is a private space and so Mods are well within their rights to close the thread at any time, without being in violation of the First Amendment. ;)

D

Deleted member 16736

You can't discuss the price of a GW jacket in isolation. It's impossible. The price of a GW jacket reflects many variables, including the amount of money printing going on worldwide. I don't think discussing dollar depreciation or the real price of a horsehide jacket are at all "going off topic." As far as I'm concerned, that is the topic. John underpriced his jackets for years, as far as I'm concerned, and he deserves to be paid what the top repro makers get. My point was only that it's not an outrageous price after adjusting for true inflation.

Last edited by a moderator:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars

three-little-bears_2311607k.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Different crowd.
Less personally affronted by it. ;)

The likelihood of the membership of ANY forum posting critical posts about one of the site moderators is pretty thin (I haven't been on VLJ for a few years, but John Chapman was a mod when I was there).

If I was John Chapman, and had invested that much time, effort and dedication into making such stitch perfect jackets, AND I had to put up with the A2 trainspotters on VLJ, I'd charge at least $5000 per jacket. And my waiting list would probably double........:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:
The likelihood of the membership of ANY forum posting critical posts about one of the site moderators is pretty thin (I haven't been on VLJ for some time, but John Chapman was a mod when I was there).

If I was John Chapman, and had invested that much time, effort and dedication into making such stitch perfect jackets, AND I had to put up with the A2 trainspotters on VLJ, I'd charge at least $5000 per jacket. And my waiting list would probably double........:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Can't believe this.
When was the last time you were at the VLJ?
Can you link us to ANY posts where John in any way steered a conversation away from criticism of his product or touted them...other than posting pictures of new jackets he had completed?
There are some manufacturers and retailers who use these forums to aggressively sell their wares. John is not one of them.
I am aware of at least one retailer a few months back who sells other manufacturers products who took to the VLJ under a pseudonym to take shots at John/Goodwear, trying to build controversy about John's pricing.
He was called out by another forum member (Wasn't that you, HoosierDaddy?) and seems to have slunk away.

These are jackets for goodness sakes. Why the bitterness? Did you purchase one back when prices were lower?
If so, did you not like it/think it defective? Please post a review with pics.
Think they are not "worth it"? Who is anybody to say what is "worth it" to somebody else?
I just don't understand the bitterness.

majormajor

One Too Many
Why the bitterness? .

Please tell me, Jeff, which part of my post displayed any kind of "bitterness" towards John Chapman?

When I said that "John Chapman had invested so much time, effort and dedication into making stitch perfect jackets" - I meant it. HE HAS.

And when I said he should charge MORE for his jackets, I wasn't going for irony. For that quality, he SHOULD charge TOP money.

I hope that is clear enough for you:D;)

javadave

New in Town
Glad I ordered last year but hey...saving $400 over 12-15 months is a few packed lunches a month.

I bought from Goodwear because of Johns passion and the quality of his work. I want to support his craft because I feel like we don't have enough people like him out there.

Last edited:

767fo

One of the Regulars
Glad I ordered last year but hey...saving $400 over 12-15 months is a few packed lunches a month.

I bought from Goodwear because of Johns passion and the quality of his work. I want to support his craft because I feel like we don't have enough people like him out there.

I couldn't agree more.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Although I have no first hand experience with GW, everything that I have read about JC seems to suggest to me that his jackets are worth every penny that he charges and then some. It well might be that someday his jackets are worth an unbelievable amount of money, so now perhaps a bargain, even at his new price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112