Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Gus Miller Custom "Bogart"

fatwoul

Practically Family
I could have absolutely sworn I already replied here, but it seems I didn't. Weird.

Anyway, the hat looks great, both on and off your bonce. Sounds like you got a good deal.

By the way, what's with that dumpy little Coke can in your earlier photos? It looks too short. I know the US likes to supersize things ;) , but actually making something smaller is unusual. Is the can really that shape or is something peculiar happening in the photo?

Boris K

One of the Regulars

fatwoul said:
... By the way, what's with that dumpy little Coke can in your earlier photos? It looks too short. I know the US likes to supersize things ;) , but actually making something smaller is unusual. Is the can really that shape or is something peculiar happening in the photo?

Fatwoul, that is an 8 ounce can of coke. They sell it that way because it is ONLY 100 calories :rolleyes: . That is just what I grabbed for some color reference.

Thanks for the kind comments on the hat. :)

fatwoul

Practically Family
Boris K said:
Fatwoul, that is an 8 ounce can of coke. They sell it that way because it is ONLY 100 calories :rolleyes: . That is just what I grabbed for some color reference...

Thanks Boris, and thanks to John in Covina, who also explained this to me in a PM. Those cans just look odd. I have a problem with things that are different to their normal size, like those pint mugs, or brussel sprouts, which as far as I can tell are just tiny cabbages. I don't like those Swatch wallclocks that look like massive wristwatches, either. I mean, I'm not Gulliver, thank you very much. :mad:

*AHEM* Anyway, the hat is very nice. Surprisingly so, in fact, considering that normally I'd think that crown was too short for my liking. I think my tastes must be becoming more broad the longer I stay here. That is probably going to end up costing me. :D

Boris K

One of the Regulars

pgoat said:
Boris - love the new avatar!!! Lookin' good!!!

Thanks, pgoat. I look better in a dark pencil drawing than in person ;)

Let us know when your new hat arrives...

pgoat

One Too Many
Boris K said:
Thanks, pgoat. I look better in a dark pencil drawing than in person ;)

Let us know when your new hat arrives...

will do. I plan to have my wife take some snapshots of me in my various hats and will post here - both to show off the nicer handiwork of Art, Gus and old vintage stuff, and to hopefully ask for feedback on which look best on my ugly mug! Others have done those threads and they are really great for getting insight into what works and what doesn't. I'll probably have the Gus Miller in my hot little hands by the time we get around to it.....

Just fyi, I have asked Gus via snail mail to tweak the crown a bit wider and taller to match my face. I suspect a hat identical to yours will look just fine, but I typically go for a 5" crown at least to balance my puss. We shall see - I'm excited about this hat!!

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Thanks, ScionPI2005 and Mustang

pgoat said:
Just fyi, I have asked Gus via snail mail to tweak the crown a bit wider and taller to match my face. I suspect a hat identical to yours will look just fine, but I typically go for a 5" crown at least to balance my puss. We shall see - I'm excited about this hat!!

Can't wait to see it. I need a brown hat for the other part of the wardrobe, but will wait until you post to decide any changes for the next hat.

Boris K

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
That is a sharp hat and with a very deep bash. It looks good. How deep did Gus bash in the crown?

SS, That is just a hand bash. Gus showed me how "they did it in the old days" and I bashed it to match the Maltese Falcon hat. Just hand pressed it all around. The front and rear bashes are about 3/4" deep and the sides are nearly 1" deep.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Boris K said:
SS, That is just a hand bash. Gus showed me how "they did it in the old days" and I bashed it to match the Maltese Falcon hat. Just hand pressed it all around. The front and rear bashes are about 3/4" deep and the sides are nearly 1" deep.

Nice job!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

75 posts on the subject and we have yet to see one of these lids on someone's head. You can say I have no imagination if you want....but I can't get to excited about a hat without seeing it in the proper context.

I know it will come to pass.

.....someday.

pgoat

One Too Many
Fedora_Overcoat3.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

OK. So I missed that photo and stuck my foot in my mouth.:eek: Thanks for posting it.

....but what is up with all the retouching of the photograph? Something looks very affected. I am not talking about the black & white version.

pgoat

One Too Many
MK said:
....but what is up with all the retouching of the photograph? Something looks very affected. I am not talking about the black & white version.

I asked Gus (in my letter - so funny to do business like that again after all these years!!) to please make my ribbon as dark as possible!

The color photo looks like it was lightened a bit to bring out the details? The felt looked a bit darker in the other scans as well. I prefer the hat's appearance in the natural (outdoor) light overall.

though I still think that is one of the coolest avatars on the FL!!:D

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
MK said:

Seriously. It looks like the hat was was photoshopped onto the face pic. [huh]

Boris K

One of the Regulars

MK said:
OK. So I missed that photo and stuck my foot in my mouth.:eek: Thanks for posting it.

pgoat said:
I asked Gus (in my letter - so funny to do business like that again after all these years!!) to please make my ribbon as dark as possible!

The color photo looks like it was lightened a bit to bring out the details? The felt looked a bit darker in the other scans as well. I prefer the hat's appearance in the natural (outdoor) light overall.

though I still think that is one of the coolest avatars on the FL!!:D

Pgoat is right, it was lightened due to bad lighting. The hat felt looks too dark and has a reflection of ceiling lights on it. I have replaced the image that was modified with filters and background edits with the original.

If I was going to photoshop the hat on a head, I'd put it on a better looking mug... :p

Thanks for the avatar compliment, pgoat :D , and the ribbon on the hat is pure black!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart