Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Gustin leather Café Racer jackets

G'c

Familiar Face
I agree with @dudewuttheheck that something looks...off? Or maybe stiff is the word that I am looking for. I note that the leather may be stiff but doesn't mean that the jacket has to look that way too... Other jackets having stiff leathers don't look quite like this... the grain also doesn't look great for me but maybe some would prefer.

Lastly, thanks @technovox for sharing, I didn't realize this brand existed, and may provide another option for other people interested in cafe racers.

technovox

One Too Many
but the most blame goes to the photographer and setting, really wearing a motorcycle jacket strolling down the beach on sunny day with no motorcycle, and no other living being in sight... maybe its just psychological, but you don't want to be that guy. the same jacket worn by a model leaning on his bike, or in a bar, or someplace else this jacket would be normally worn would make much more sense to the viewers

Absolutely right! They could have juiced it up with a cool looking prop motorcycle...like these guys did...
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.49.31 PM.png

Fonzie

One Too Many
I must be the only one here, but i actually quite like it. The black one even.

I think there's too much criticism going on here everytime a Gustin product that is not the heavy denim Okayama or Zimbawe jeans gets mentioned here, not sure why...

They actually do cool stuff. Sure, there's way better jackets out there, but this particular model I think it's quite cool.
Maybe not for the ultra jacket nerd but there's a whole world of people out there who isn't as heavily OCD, dissecting every single detail of it, and is priced accordingly.

I'd buy it if I wasn't one of those jacket nerds... ;)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I quite like some of Gustin’s stuff and while this is an improvement on the L1 and L2 there is something not quite right about it...but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is....something just looks a little off.

I think there's too much criticism going on here everytime a Gustin product that is not the heavy denim Okayama or Zimbawe jeans gets mentioned here, not sure why...
;)

Not at all - many here, me included, have a lot of Gustin stuff. This is just a "me too" based on years of looking and owning many jackets. If Gustin could make a killer jacket at that price level, I'd be all-in. The marketing doesn't help - the models and poses and other things make it just seem hipster to many here. It seems to me to be a lowest common denominator jacket with some good hooks - made in the USA, and Horween at a decent price. Even with all that, I can't do it. It looks as uninspired as a jacket could be.
Just my 2¢

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I must be the only one here, but i actually quite like it. The black one even.

They actually do cool stuff. Sure, there's way better jackets out there, but this particular model I think it's quite cool.
Maybe not for the ultra jacket nerd but there's a whole world of people out there who isn't as heavily OCD, dissecting every single detail of it, and is priced accordingly.

I'd buy it if I wasn't one of those jacket nerds... ;)
Well I'll stand firm and say I don't like ANYTHING that Gustin makes at all. This is just one that I particularly think looks off. It feels (as did their last leather jacket effort) that they looked at a few Aero jackets and just tried to make them look like that, but didn't get the details exactly right. That's just my personal view.

tropicalbob

Most of the criticism above seems kind of non-specific. For $475.00 I can't think of another new steerhide jacket as decent. I'm with Fonzie on this one.

tropicalbob

just looked at the pics again and the image of the model walking away reminds me of the drunk chic that tucked her skirt into her panty hose
Ha! It reminds me of that "An Army of One" U.S. Army advertising campaign of about twenty years ago in which you saw troops and tanks heading in one direction and one guy going in the other. My wife laughed and asked me, "Isn't he deserting?" They pulled the ad after a week or so.

tropicalbob

True but I think you would be better off buying a quality used jacket for $475..
I agree, but I'm thinking that most young people today haven't ever seen a halfway decent leather jacket, plus they couldn't afford much more than what Gustin's offering here. Back in the day kids could pick up a nice leather jacket at Sears or Mongomery Ward for not a lot of money.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
just make the kidney panel straight and front zip raised a little from the bottom so it's wearable zipped while sitting, then it's good enough, I don't get that curved up kidney panel at all, if you wear belt that curved up rear hem will get stuck on top of the belt everytime you sit, you'll be constantly checking the back of your jacket when you squat not to reveal your underwear, etc. will get annoying very fast.

barnabus

One Too Many
just make the kidney panel straight and front zip raised a little from the bottom so it's wearable zipped while sitting, then it's good enough, I don't get that curved up kidney panel at all, if you wear belt that curved up rear hem will get stuck on top of the belt everytime you sit, you'll be constantly checking the back of your jacket when you squat not to reveal your underwear, etc. will get annoying very fast.
Completely agree.

I liked the look of the design until I spied that rear hem.

El Marro

I own quite a few things by Gustin and for the most part I have been very happy with my purchases. The quality has been good on everything I've bought and I like being able to try some unusual and unique denims for half the cost (or less) of what many others charge for jeans these days.
I say all of this to make the point that I am not a Gustin hater, I'm just not impressed with their leather jackets at this time.

tropicalbob

Maybe what's bothering folks is that it's probably designed more with the non-rider in mind: the shorter sleeves were the first things I noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy